Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SPLATT™ event information and discussion forum. South Carolina Piedmont Lycospersicum Annual Tomato Tasting

Old February 27, 2008   #1
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Default Splatt 2008

Just wanted to inform everyone the third annual Tomato tasting will be held on Saturday July 19. So start making plans. I would like to see a good turn out of Tomatovillians this year and no excusses on not having any Tomatoes. If I can grow them organically in the red clay of the drought stricken disease infested piedmont so can you.Surely all those South Carolinians on this forum arent' just blowing smoke. It is time to show what you can do ,so get those plants started and step up to the challenge. It would be nice to hear what everyone is planning to grow this year. I have around 5000 seedlings ready to pot up of 164 varieties so far. My garden will be limited to 200 Plants and less than 100 varieties this year due to some commercial seed growouts. So I need some help to fill in the gaps.I am excited about recieving my organic certification and I am considering holding the event at my place to show those less fortunate growers from the mountains or the sandy coast how to grow a tomato. Those needing plants you know where I live and look me up at the Midlands Plant and Flower show April 17-20th in Columbia or the Pee Dee Plant and Flower show in Florence April 10-13th. Mention Tomatoville and get a plant of your choosing. Its going to be a great season.Rodger
Old February 27, 2008   #2
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Rodger, Looks like you are going to have an exciting summer! Hope all goes well with your grow outs and the Tomato Tasting!
Gary
Old March 2, 2008   #3
TJS
Tomatovillian™

Hey Rodger,
Hope to see you there.
I may be able to grow 20-24 plants, heres my list:

Kimberly,
Stupice,
Kelloggs Breakfast,
German Johnson,
Black Krim,
Dr. Caroline, (seeds of which you were gracious enough to send me)
Odoriko,
Black Cherry,
Cherokee Purple,
Earls Faux,
Carbon,
Amish Paste (haven't got 1 seed to come up yet but will keep trying),
Olpaka,
Martinos Roma,
Sun Gold,
Brandy Boy,

I started 2 of each of the above and have some in the ground with a spare in my greenhouse. If I may ask you a question... I have started and planted 2 Stupice plants, one is PL and the other is RL. Which is the true stupice?
I grew Kimberly in my small (6x8') greenhouse, 2 in three gal pots and have gotten about a dozen fruit this winter. They were so good.
Will bring any I have at the time of the festival.
Tim
Old March 4, 2008   #4
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Stupice is Potato leaf. Nice list and I owe you some plants so if Amish paste won't germinate I will send you 2 if you like in Mid April. I haven't yet decided on my list but it will be much smaller than last year and will contain lots of the non commercial varieties. Rodger
Old March 16, 2008   #5
MJacobs2
Tomatovillian™

July 19th is on the calendar. You are about 2 1/2 hours away. Hope o have some good tomatos to bring. This "extreme draught" here near Charlotte, NC is making that look like quite a challenge!
Old March 21, 2008   #6
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Hi Rodger,

I'm glad to hear you're going for a 3rd year. I made the previous two, and I plan on coming again this year, probably with friends in tow again. Since whatever wilt condition infested my yard, I seem to only be able to get the cherries to grow. It doesn't seem to phase them much. So I am only growing cherry tomatoes this year, but hopefully I'll have plenty of those to share with everyone.

Since you plant so many, do you sell any of your heirlooms at Farmer's Markets and such? The reason I ask is I'd love to purchase some this season. Our local Farmers Market will sometimes have heirloom tomatoes, but I get the impression they are not locally grown or vine ripened, so they're really no better than the usual pickings.

Look forward to seeing everyone in July.

Holly Gorrell
Old March 22, 2008   #7
rodger
Tomatovillian™

I sell the plants at the Columbia Farmers Market and the Florence Markets during the Spring plant and flower shows. Next year I will sell at the Greenville Market plant and flower show but I couldn't work it in this year. I do sell tomatoes at the Newberry farmers markets on Wed evenings 6-8pm and sat mornings 8-100am. I have several people that come by my house. This year I will set up a table with the daily picks and have a honor system drop box. Pre priced tomatoes.This will afford those whose schedule doesn't meet mine to get fresh tomatoes. I look forward to seeing you again Holly and your friends in tow. Rodger
Old April 6, 2008   #8
TJS
Tomatovillian™

Hi Rodger,
I did finally get an Amish past to come up though I did have to soak and pre germinate on paper towels. It is now happily growing in the ground.
I do like the idea of you having the fest at your place, it's very impressive. I hope to have some time this year to pick your brain.
Tim
Old June 12, 2008   #9
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Hi Rodger!!!

It was nice meeting you this past spring in Florence. I've been meaning to thank you again for the pomegranate. You'll be happy to know that it is in a terra cotta pot on my back porch...and thriving! I keep a close eye on it and it is doing quite well!

July 19th is on my calendar! It will be nice seeing you again. You too, Holly...I remember you from Tomatopalooza a couple of years ago! I will email Bobby B in a few days and see if she is planning to come...she lives in Florence too.

My grow list for this year:

Aunt Gertie's Gold (from Rodger!)
Regina's Yellow
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Brandywine (Sudduth)
Kellogg's Breakfast
Polish
Opalka
Neves Azorean Red
Stupice
Peach/Rouge D'Irak
Tennessee Heirloom
Rinaldo
Homestead
Sara's Galapagos
Matt's Wild Cherry

All are doing well so far. I hope the extreme early heat here doesn't last, or fruitset will really suffer. So far though they appear to be handling it well, and I have multiples of each variety.

See you all (hopefully) in July!

Jennifer
Old July 4, 2008   #10
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Jenn, sorry I didn't see your post earlier. That is a good list I hope you plan to attend the 3Rd annual tasting in Little Mountain. The only repeat I have from your list is Aunt Ruby's Green and Kelloggs Breakfast. To everyone else this is the official notice of this years tasting. I had hoped to have a discussion leading up to the tasting this year, But I am whipped. Between my real job and this secound year extreme drought status we are in, it has been a challenge watering and growing anything. But hear it is, The tomato season has begun alittle slow and I may not have the volume and selection as in the past but I will have tomatoes. So I am asking everyone else to bring what you may have to add to the table. The tasting will be on July 19th from 12-2pm at the Little Mountain reunion Park, same place as last year. I will have a follow on tour of my garden from 2-4pm. To get here. Take I-26 exit #85 (Little Mountain HWY 202). whether coming from the east or west turn right onto Hwy 202. Go to the stop sign at Hwy 76 downtown little Mountain and turn right. After passing the exxon turn left the park is in front of you. Look for the cars and people under the covered pavillion on the right. If anyone is interested in helping out. I would appreciate it. I will need to pick and wash tomatoes then set up the tables. any help saturday am would be aprreciated. So Bring your familiy friends and mainly your tomatoes and come out to the 3rd annual tasting.
Old July 20, 2008   #11
winterfly
Tomatovillian™

Default Splatt 2008

Many thanks to Rodger and his wife for their hospitality at yesterday's SPLAT event. And thanks to all the attendees who stopped at my table to sample my tomatoes. Most of the tomatoes I brought were tomatoes that I bred, so following is more information concerning those varieties:

Blue Ridge Black: F3, PL, from a cross of Blue Ridge Mountain
Black Magic: F3, PL, from a cross of Lucky Cross
Black Mamba: F3, RL, from a cross of Lucky Cross
Sweet as Linda: F4, RL, from a cross of Marianna's Peace and Sun Gold
River God: F4, PL, from a cross of Marianna's Peace and Sun Gold
Seti: F2, RL, from a cross of Marianna's Peace
Kitty Hawk: F2, PL, from a cross of Marianna's Peace
Spears X: F2, RL, from a cross of Spears Tennessee Green
Gabrielle: F6, RL, from a cross of Elbe
Regal Haze: F2, RL, from Purple Haze
Miss Wyler: F4, PL, from a cross of Earl's Faux
O'Sena Green: F3, RL, from a cross of Gary O'Sena
Pocahontas: F3, RL, from a cross of Green Pineapple
Duncan: F2, RL, from a cross of Lillian's Yellow

I also brought Grub's Mystery Green, Paul Robeson, and Golden Gem

The one's who sampled from my table seemed to enjoy the sweet ones the best, especially Grub's Mystery Green, Regal Haze, Sweet as Linda, Golden Gem, and Duncan.

As you can tell by the F numbers, my tomatoes may not be stable, so for those who took samples for seed saving, keep this in mind.

My friend, Richard, and I enjoyed the tasting which was followed by a tour of Rodger's garden. Rodger is a walking encylopedia, especially when it comes to organic gardening, and he related tomato and gardening information to all of us who attended yesterday's event for most of the 4 hours we were there. Thanks, Rodger!
Old July 20, 2008   #12
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Millard, I believe you had the show with the great collection of tomatoes you brought. Thanks for coming and what a table of tomatoes you had. I did save seed from all of them I believe my favorites where the Black Mamba then the Two greens; O'sena green and Gribs mystery green. I want to thank holly again she has been here three in a row, but I did miss all your friends in tow. Charles was a real help with picking, setting up and while I was off touring Charles stayed and helped my wife clean up. Thankyou
I have pictures and I am in the process of downloading so give me some time to get them posted. Splatt III is now history and it is time to start looking ahead for next year and SPLATT IV. I wish I could have had a better assortment but the the weather and other priorities got the better of me and my tomatoes. With the fruit that is on the plants I am going to be flooded with tomatoes the next couple of weeks, just wished they could have been ready yesterday. Next year I believe the tours will began at 1000 with the tasting at 1200 at the park. It was way to hot to be in the garden talking about tomatoes.Thanks again to everyone who showed and helped. Rodger
Old July 21, 2008   #13
rodger
Tomatovillian™

Default Splatt III pictures

here is a link to the pictures on photobucket. I t was taking too long to try and reduce and download to here. Rodger
http://s343.photobucket.com/albums/o466/rdwinn/Tomato%20tasting%202008/

Last edited by rodger; July 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old July 21, 2008   #14
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Wow! Looks like a great event Rodger. Lot's of huge tomatoes sitting on those tables. The Anna Russian looked
outstanding.

Were there any varieties that stood out above the rest this year?
Any surprises with regards to taste?

Thanks for sharing,

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old July 24, 2008   #15
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Rodger, It was very nice of you to host the tasting again this year. I know you have to put a lot of work into it. I didn't have a lot to bring this year, and they were all small/cherries. The ones I brought were:

SunGold
Amish Gold
Matt's Wild Cherry (tiny red)
Cerese (tiny yellow) - at least I think that is the correct name.

The Cerese was from seeds I saved from the Raleigh, NC tomato tasting last year. The label was handwritten, and I was never 100% sure if I was translating it correctly, but it looked like Cerese to me. The tomatoes are tiny, sweet and have almost a muscadine flavor.