Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2018   #2371
imp
Tomatovillian™

It was supposed to drop down to only 12 F today ( official), but we went on to the 4th day of over 112 officially. So, about 114 to 115 here at the house. Couldn't sleep well at all, just too hot.

Monday is SUPPOSED to be only 02, but we'll see if that front drops a bit closer.
Old July 23, 2018   #2372
eyegrotom
Tomatovillian™

Here in So Cal we are headed for another Heat Wave. today 103 tomorrow 106, Wednesday 108 Thursday 104, It will be a tough time for the Garden again, Animals and Human too. Mike
eyegrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #2373
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

110F I wont let Smokey out it is so hot.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #2374
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Whew that’s hot.
Old July 23, 2018   #2375
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default Lordy, it's hot!

97 degrees at 6:42 p.m. in El Lago, Texas. 100° in Houston proper. It's a job trying to keep everything watered.. The potted plants dry out so fast.. The sun is relentless. I see that other areas of Texas are even hotter.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #2376
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Duplicate post.

Last edited by Worth1; July 23, 2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old July 23, 2018   #2377
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Came home to an 80 degree house and it felt ice cold compared to outside.
Smokey squawked and squalled for a while and I finally got tired of it and said no too hot two times and she shut up.
She is now on the back of a chair looking outside resolved to the fact she isn't going out today.
Smokey knows what no means big time.

Smokey smoke smoke, meow.
Smokey smoke smoke, meow.
Tail swish tail swish.

Worth
Old July 24, 2018   #2378
bower
Tomatovillian™

Can't believe it, we are under a heat warning here for the next two days, as the humidex could hit 40 C. that is 104 F. Considering that no one here has air conditioning, it could be pretty bad.... although thank goodness it's forecast to be somewhat windy at the same time. Mother Nature provides a fan. Kind of. Shouldn't joke about that.

On the news they were talking about the "heat dome" over the SW States, which you guys have been reporting here.

Also I just saw a clip of flooding in Pennsylvania again! Hope Nan and JR are not affected or at least, safe.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #2379
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I'm doing fine; flooding is to the east of us this time, thanks for asking.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018   #2380
bower
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear it, Nan.

It wasn't so bad here today, the humidex only got to 32 and there was a good strong breeze all day long. Could be so much worse especially for the tomatoes, it can be awfully hot in the greenhouse if there's no wind blowing.
Old July 26, 2018   #2381
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
thank goodness it's forecast to be somewhat windy
In my experience, a breeze, or windy, is nice unless it's mid 90s or above. Then it's just a hot wind, and does more damage than stagnant. I remember a windy couple of hot days in northern NY a few years ago, and the tomato plants actually suffered leaf burn on the windward side of the plants. It was like a circulating convection oven
Old July 26, 2018   #2382
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

So it started to rain by me. Over the last 24 hours it rained more than 20 mm of water. If any rain in the garden I do not know. I'll see it in the morning.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018   #2383
bower
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir, I know you've been needing that rain! Hope your garden got watered too.
@edweather, I believe it! Wind is especially hard on plants outdoors and dries them up really fast. I had to give the plants in the greenhouse a second watering today. The humidex is currently 89 F but the dewpoint is just below 70 F so that breeze is still cooling for the animals (me). Wind is gusting close to 40 mph, so at least the air is moving indoors and inside the gh. Fingers crossed for my old casement windows, I fear the old hardware will give way and they will be ripped off the house one day by being left open in the gusty winds.
Old July 27, 2018   #2384
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

We are in a good spot to deter flooding, though not a good spot for any amount of decent fishing without a decent drive. Hill and valley, with one small creek nearby. We had a lot of rain but not nearly as much as Reading and points west, at least according to the radar tracts. Lancaster/Lebanon/Susq Valley just looked like it kept getting hammered. Rain gauges here were reading 2" a day or so. The pear tree loved it.

This rain has really set off the okra and beans, finally, and as of yesterday, very few tomatoes are showing color and I haven't seen the splits I was expecting. Tomatoes seem very late. Cherry tomatoes of course are being picked, but typically by July 15 or so we have the first BLTs and by now we are making sauce. Not so this year due to delayed season and maybe my youngish transplants.

At the comm garden many gardeners stopped showing up to water this week, so now weeds and all are getting tall. I picked one big beef with color yesterday but it is firm and I'd rather not start out with a bad one, so it's on the counter. I counted last week and have an average of 11 nicely formed big beef per plant, 1 ft spacing, for 25 feet. Just need a few more days...or at least I keep telling myself that. The blight of course has finally not only appeared, but become rampant with the rain and humidity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july26runningLATE.jpg (558.2 KB, 43 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2018   #2385
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Just spent 5 days in 40° C + weather, sleeping outside at night it still felt like a hair dryer on the highest setting was hitting you all over your body. Bahia de Los Angeles on the Sea of Cortés side, the fish, the milky way and the meteorite fireworks show made it worthwhile.

Back home now, mid 90s feel tame by comparison, I even used a blanket last night.
So in short, train at altitude by going to Hades for a few days, home will feel cool.

Last edited by Gerardo; July 27, 2018 at 04:11 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote