Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old February 7, 2013   #1
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Default No SETTFest for 2013 -- Other Events?

It is with a feeling of melancholy that I must report there will not be an official SETTFest (South East Texas Tomato Festival) event this year.

Suze is taking a break from gardening, I am between gardens due to travel, and Bob has a number of other activities that are competing for his time.

When I joined this site, there was already a substantial gardener base from Texas. In the intervening years, I've seen a huge growth in that population. I have no doubt that there are individuals out there who are organized and determined and able to put on an event like this. Texas is a big place and maybe it's time for there to be two or three regional events -- Houston/Beaumont/Corpus and San Antonio/Austin/Dallas. It's always been challenging to pick a single place that is convenient for everyone.

I am happy to help in any way I can with planning suggestions, a list of items to bring, help on selecting and booking a location, and how to handle communications before and during the event. It's the first week of February so there should be plenty of time to get an event going. All those years ago when Suze and I started SETTFest, we literally picked a date on the calendar, reserved the park pavilion, and brought baskets of tomatoes and just rolled with the punches.

Kindest Regards,

-Morgan

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old February 11, 2013   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

This is a huge opportunity for others to step in and shepherd a tomato event. It's really not *that* tricky, especially if you aren't bringing a lot of tomatoes. It's just a matter of picking a date (1 of 3 weekends), a location (usually a state park), paying the deposit, and then announcing the event. Then the night before the event -- packing your car is with everything you need so you can get up and, without being too stressed out, hop in the car and drive to the event and have plenty of time to setup.

Build it and they will come.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old February 15, 2013   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Everyone is invited to ours, it's happening March 9. No tomatoes required! We have enough to go around for all. Strawberry festival there that weekend too.
Marsha
Old February 18, 2013   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is really too bad.
I would love to organize an event and do have the resources, land or what ever a person would need in several areas in Texas.
The problem is I dont have the time at home to do it and I am not able to bring a vast amount of tomatoes.

What I did see at the event the last time I was there was Suze brought almost everything.
Her husband Pat and herself along with Snappybob did most of the work.

I got there early and helped set the tomatoes up and put the fans and tables out.

After it was over everybody left and everything had to be gathered up and hauled off.

It's a lot of work if very few "if anybody" helps.

Worth
Old February 18, 2013   #5
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

The day I resurface and this is what I see? Oy....

Tell y'all what: I will see how my schedule unfolds, and if nothing else, I might host a Houston-area gathering in my back yard in May.
Old February 22, 2013   #6
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

I would like to help put something together for the San Antonio/Austin/Hill Country/Corpus Christi area. I was so sad to see this go by the way-side last year and I was so looking forward to SETTFEST this year. However, I completely understand that people's lives change and sometimes a garden must go on the back burner. I am putting quite a few tomatoes in the ground/pots. I can't promise bushels of fruit since you never know how things will work out, but I should have enough to make a reasonable showing. Maybe hosting in New Braunfels or San Marcos would be central enough for Central Texas? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Christy
Old February 22, 2013   #7
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
It is with a feeling of melancholy that I must report there will not be an official SETTFest (South East Texas Tomato Festival) event this year.

Suze is taking a break from gardening, I am between gardens due to travel, and Bob has a number of other activities that are competing for his time.

When I joined this site, there was already a substantial gardener base from Texas. In the intervening years, I've seen a huge growth in that population. I have no doubt that there are individuals out there who are organized and determined and able to put on an event like this. Texas is a big place and maybe it's time for there to be two or three regional events -- Houston/Beaumont/Corpus and San Antonio/Austin/Dallas. It's always been challenging to pick a single place that is convenient for everyone.

I am happy to help in any way I can with planning suggestions, a list of items to bring, help on selecting and booking a location, and how to handle communications before and during the event. It's the first week of February so there should be plenty of time to get an event going. All those years ago when Suze and I started SETTFest, we literally picked a date on the calendar, reserved the park pavilion, and brought baskets of tomatoes and just rolled with the punches.

Kindest Regards,

-Morgan
Morgan, thanks for the heads-up on this! It's good to know so early that SETTFEST is a no-go. Hopefully there will be enough time and interest to plan several tastings instead.

Christy
Old February 22, 2013   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Christy,

I think the areas you mentioned would be an excellent place to have the event.
Regardless of whether or not I would be there.
I also think the idea of a plant swap in the future would be a good thing.
We really need to step up and do some more stuff here in Texas like they do in other places.

Worth
Old February 26, 2013   #9
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to start doing research on places in the San Marcos/New Braunfels area that could host something like this. Landa Park in New Braunfels might be a good start. I'll post back with more info as I learn more. I'm trying to go free or super cheap! Too bad Antique Rose Emporium here in SA closed. They had some beautiful meeting spaces that would have been perfect.

Christy
Old February 27, 2013   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkerkitty View Post
I'm going to start doing research on places in the San Marcos/New Braunfels area that could host something like this. Landa Park in New Braunfels might be a good start. I'll post back with more info as I learn more. I'm trying to go free or super cheap!
I wouldn't worry about a $50-75 pavilion fee. Put out a little basket and write a sign on it "DONATIONS $5" and it will more than pay for the pavilion and paper goods needed to run the event. In the 5 years of SETTFest we were never out any expenses.

Tip: When reserving a park, don't say it's a tomato tasting. You will face confusion and possibly a request for a Health Dept permit. Just say it's a team/friends get-together.

Also most important on these venues: Parking and a Clean Functional Bathroom.

Old February 27, 2013   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Christy. Do you have any members or friends near where you want to hold this that belong to a church? One of ours asked her pastor if we could hold it there, and he said yes, for free, and air conditioned, with use of a kitchen facility!
It's great.
Marsha
Old March 5, 2013   #12
checkerkitty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I wouldn't worry about a $50-75 pavilion fee. Put out a little basket and write a sign on it "DONATIONS $5" and it will more than pay for the pavilion and paper goods needed to run the event. In the 5 years of SETTFest we were never out any expenses.

Tip: When reserving a park, don't say it's a tomato tasting. You will face confusion and possibly a request for a Health Dept permit. Just say it's a team/friends get-together.

Also most important on these venues: Parking and a Clean Functional Bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Christy. Do you have any members or friends near where you want to hold this that belong to a church? One of ours asked her pastor if we could hold it there, and he said yes, for free, and air conditioned, with use of a kitchen facility!
It's great.
Marsha
Thanks for the ideas! I've never tried to put together anything like this before. This will be fun!

Christy
Old April 12, 2013   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Where are we at with this?
Texan minds would like to know.
If it comes about during my off time I will glady help.

Worth
Old April 12, 2013   #14
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Well, if nothing else, those of you local to Houston can come down to my house one Saturday in May and we can do a tasting. Bonus: I have a pool.
Old April 12, 2013   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Well, if nothing else, those of you local to Houston can come down to my house one Saturday in May and we can do a tasting. Bonus: I have a pool.
Sounds good to me can Boo Boo come too.

Worth