Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 25, 2014   #1
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Microbeicum Occemus

I got seeds for this from a trade.The trader said these were from Dan McMurray's own supply which he sent to her,originally. Google draws a blank. Does anyone know about these? I can find nothing!

Last edited by ginger2778; October 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Correcting the spelling
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2014   #2
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

I've not grown them but I found Dan's pictures 165-170
https://picasaweb.google.com/1084211...61904491473330

And also these description, spelling is very slightly different? They sound lovely
Tomato Microbeicum Occemus
Very old variety, red, ribbed very small, original (it's a bit of a big tomato in miniature). Good flavor, very sweet flesh, just sweet and complex at once. Resistance: medium has burst and fairly susceptible to mildew. Plant giving indeterminate growth clusters from May to August fruits, seasonal foliage to normal. http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...45%26bih%3D868

Purplish red fruit, flattened 35-60 grams. Bouquet in June-July fruits. Côtelage the top. Major depression in the peduncle. Juicy flesh. Sweet flavor. Plant 160 to 200 centimeters in height. From 70 to 80 days. Indeterminate growth. Variety of mid season. http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom...ates_mb_mi.htm
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2014   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayc View Post
I've not grown them but I found Dan's pictures 165-170
https://picasaweb.google.com/1084211...61904491473330

And also these description, spelling is very slightly different? They sound lovely
Tomato Microbeicum Occemus
Very old variety, red, ribbed very small, original (it's a bit of a big tomato in miniature). Good flavor, very sweet flesh, just sweet and complex at once. Resistance: medium has burst and fairly susceptible to mildew. Plant giving indeterminate growth clusters from May to August fruits, seasonal foliage to normal. http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...45%26bih%3D868

Purplish red fruit, flattened 35-60 grams. Bouquet in June-July fruits. Côtelage the top. Major depression in the peduncle. Juicy flesh. Sweet flavor. Plant 160 to 200 centimeters in height. From 70 to 80 days. Indeterminate growth. Variety of mid season. http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom...ates_mb_mi.htm
Oh well done JayC! I will correct the spelling immediately. Now I think I know why googleing didn't get anything. I'm excited and psyched to grow this treasure from Dan. His legacy lives on.
Thank you, thank you.
Old October 26, 2014   #4
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Lucky that you have acquired this seed so it won't be lost.

Wow, did you check out Dan's album. He has grown plants that I have never heard of before.
Old October 26, 2014   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes I did. The lady I traded with had quite a few, and she warned me they were older since they were from Dan's own collection, and I had better grow them out to get fresh seeds, which I am doing. Growing Guernsey Pink Blush, Talavera Native, Coastal Pride Orange, Coastal Village, Portuguese Neighbor, Joe's Portuguese, Guido, and Microbeicum Occemus right now. I will do a seed offer in January if all goes well.
OK TVers, do your research, seeds will be on the way.
Old October 27, 2014   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I am putting down second set of plants soon.Will be glad to help with any seed production.
Old October 27, 2014   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Yes I did. The lady I traded with had quite a few, and she warned me they were older since they were from Dan's own collection, and I had better grow them out to get fresh seeds, which I am doing. Growing Guernsey Pink Blush, Talavera Native, Coastal Pride Orange, Coastal Village, Portuguese Neighbor, Joe's Portuguese, Guido, and Microbeicum Occemus right now. I will do a seed offer in January if all goes well.
OK TVers, do your research, seeds will be on the way.
Just noting that Portuguese Neighbor is not one of Dan and Vals, it was introduced by Denise Salmon of Canada, PNW-D here at Tville , seeds from her 99 yo grandmother, and I SSE listed it in 2005 and was also offering it in some of my earliest seed offers here, and it's a very good one.

Joe's Portuguese is also very good and I also SSE listed that one in 2007 and also offered it here at Tville. I remember contacting either Dan or Val, both of whom used to participate here, to get the background info on it for my SSE listing. Right now I don't remember exactly who I got it from.

Carolyn
Old October 27, 2014   #8
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default Joe's Portuguese

You got them from Ted Amano (Canada).

Neil G.
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2014   #9
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Just noting that Portuguese Neighbor is not one of Dan and Vals, it was introduced by Denise Salmon of Canada, PNW-D here at Tville , seeds from her 99 yo grandmother, and I SSE listed it in 2005 and was also offering it in some of my earliest seed offers here, and it's a very good one.

Joe's Portuguese is also very good and I also SSE listed that one in 2007 and also offered it here at Tville. I remember contacting either Dan or Val, both of whom used to participate here, to get the background info on it for my SSE listing. Right now I don't remember exactly who I got it from.

Carolyn
Sorry if I caused any confusion. I didn't mean to infer that Dan came up with the original crosses although I am sure he did for many. I just meant they were his own saved seeds that I got from my friend, because she got them from him and never grew them out, then just passed them to me.
I love hearing that these varieties are so good, because I don't know much about them, just knew I needed to plant them to refresh the supply, and figured how wrong could I go if they were Dan and Val's trades. Thank you Carolyn.
Old October 27, 2014   #10
salix
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, thanks for the reminder - I think I still have a couple of dozen varieties that I got from Val that need to be 'refreshed'. Each year I try to do a few, this year it was BW x NAR 10 and Van Wert Ohio, both were very good. Must get onto the Taos Trails next year. So little time and space!
Old October 27, 2014   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree View Post
You got them from Ted Amano (Canada).

Neil G.
As always Neil, better you than me plowing through all those SSE YEarbooks on the floor to my left to find who it was.

Thanks again.

Carolyn
Old October 27, 2014   #12
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I thought Microbeicum Occemus was a toenail fungus.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2014   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I thought Microbeicum Occemus was a toenail fungus.
Nope!

The three genera that can cause nail infections, and other fungal infections can be found in the first paragraph of the following link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatophyte

I had great fun being the actrress when lecturing about fungal and parasitic diseases to Med Students b'c some of them were really very gross, I mean the diseases not the MEd students.

Loa Loa, patients in Africa who had that, the parisite that causes that moves across the eyeball, so early on they just took a pine needle and let the parasite curl around that and removed it that way.

Then worm infections where the worms would exit the body through the belly button.

No, I'm not going to describe more for the squeemish amid you, well, maybe one more and I'll use a link for that one.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs102/en/

I chose one with no pictures b'c the pictures of persons with elephantiasis are pretty scary.

Ah, the memories and the tactics I used to keep med students interested in infections caused by fungi and parasites. Bacterial and viral infections were quite a different story b/c most of them were more familiar.

Carolyn, who had slide sets she showed for all of the parasitic and fungal ones, and she remembers only one person who fainted in all of those years.
Old November 2, 2014   #14
Aubergine
Tomatovillian™

I grew Microbeicum Occemus in 2011 and 2013, got seeds from a belgium man, I love this tomato very much, a mini-Beefsteak, great production, good taste and very nice
Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2014   #15
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes I did. The lady I traded with had quite a few, and she warned me they were older since they were from Dan's own collection, and I had better grow them out to get fresh seeds, which I am doing. Growing Guernsey Pink Blush,
Ginger

I did a lot of seed trading with Dan and Val and they are missed. Did your Guernsey Pink Blush seeds have a Number? He had more than one grow out of this variety. The seeds I received were #3 and they turned out red and with excellent taste.

Ami