Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old October 7, 2014   #1
hank
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing and selling PYO

I cannot remember anyone here that sells "pick your own" tomatoes. My family sells almost solely PYO fruits and vegetables. For the past 5 years I have developed a very nice PYO tomato business. I'm not sure what the potential may be, there was waste, but after the season ending frost we tallied 20,000 pounds of sold tomatoes on about 1/3 acre (700 total plants). A few of the better customers were called and offered the last green ones and lower quality left overs. It would be nice to chat with other PYO growers. Hank
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Am not a seller but here in South Florida there are penty of what we call U PICS.Strawberrys grown on stacked(5) vertical planters(plastic PVC Hydro, pump fed).Tomatoes galore.There are children height restrictions like at the amusement parks.

https://www.hydrostacker.com/commercial/

Last edited by kurt; October 7, 2014 at 08:33 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014   #3
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I am extremely impressed with your production of 20,000 SOLD pounds from 700 plants on 1/3 acre! I am not a PYO but I sell for market. My season isn't over but it is certainly winding down, and I am at a fraction of your production.

Would you be willing to tell us what varieties you grew? And how close are you to a metro area? What type of buyers were your big customers?

Thanks much.

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2014   #4
hank
Tomatovillian™

Kurt very interesting. I'd like to see one. Hank
Old October 7, 2014   #5
hank
Tomatovillian™

Charley, In reverse order, I had about 6 customers who bought 80- 120 lbs.. I am 50 miles from the DC beltway with about 20 miles of city before you get to this road. 500 Mountain Fresh, 200 various heirlooms with a number of others such as Betterboys, cherries, and some mystery plants. Hank
Old October 9, 2014   #6
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

PYO tomatoes is a good idea. I don't think anyone does much besides berries, tree fruit and pumpkins as PYO around here. I grow produce for a living but don't do PYO.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote