Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 11, 2009   #31
DUMMY1
Tomatovillian™

Hi Addict,
I was checking your list for 09 and I see St. Fiacre cherry. My childern gave me a large statue of St. Fiacre and I thought it would be neat if I could give them some St. Fiarce tomatoes this summer. Is this available for sale somewhere? or did you develope it yourself? Thanks for any information -- Jack
DUMMY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009   #32
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Green Giant was the first to germinate this year, I hope its a sign of things to come for this fantastic variety
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009   #33
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Good going! Have to let us know how it turns out. Take lots of pics.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2009   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMMY1 View Post
Hi Addict,
I was checking your list for 09 and I see St. Fiacre cherry. My childern gave me a large statue of St. Fiacre and I thought it would be neat if I could give them some St. Fiarce tomatoes this summer. Is this available for sale somewhere? or did you develope it yourself? Thanks for any information -- Jack
Jack here is the story behind the tomato.

http://tomatoaddict.blogspot.com/200...re-cherry.html

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2009   #35
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could plant 30 or more varieties. Actually, I could, but Mrs. Mojo would shoot me because she doesn't care for tomatoes (gasp!!!) and I need room for zukes and cukes and peppers and eggplant.

This year I'm actually going to (try to) limit myself to ten plants. I'm having friends start most of my seeds, but I'm going to try starting my own on the side, and those will be Gulf State Market (2-3). There will be 2-3 Black Krims (mmm) and 2-3 Persimmons (did super-well for me last time I had them). I may be able to beg/borrow/scam a Gregori's Altai and a Sungold from aforesaid friends, and if JohnnyRock is paying attention, I'd love to swap some GSM for Wapsipinsicon Peach if you got 'em. So that's.... 12? Dang, I'm already over!
Old January 14, 2009   #36
jcmorse33
Tomatovillian™

My pink variety grow out / taste test:
Brandywine (Suddeth's)
Stump of the World
Earl's Faux
Ed's Millenium
Royal Hillbilly
Farmer's Market Mystery Pink* (was called "West Virginia Centennial" by the grower)

Other large fruited indeterminates:
Spudakee
KBX

Cherry:
Sweet baby Girl

+ 8 Dwarf project plants

Leaving me with 2 open slots which I have tenatively assigned to Red Brandywine and Aunt Gertie's Gold.

Of course if I abandon my resolution to give my in ground indeterminates 2 feet between plants and go back to the 18 inch spacing I had last year I could squeeze in an additional 3 plants... hmmm...
jcmorse33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2009   #37
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Everything is up except Summertime Improved and Goose Creek. I resowed GS this morning after soaking the seeds overnight. Chapman was the last to germinate, had soaked seeds ready in case it didnt but it came up this morning. In my short experience at starting from seed, most of mine are usually up within 3-5 days.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2009   #38
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

This is all very exciting! On a 70-cell tray, almost half already came up. In 3 days. I intend to keep/grow two (2) plants each and give away the rest.

I am so inspired by this I started a window-sill Jiffy Greenhouse in MY OFFICE.

PLEASE POST YOUR PHOTOS. I saw Worth's seedlings last night, and I was daydreaming of tomato seedlings all day.

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2009   #39
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Oh, SO hard. But here is my list so far. My limit was 13...

Listed in no particular order, like my garden:

Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
KBX
Goose Creek
Black Trifele
OR 117
Tigerella
Super Italian Paste Tomato (my first heirloom from SSE over 20 years ago!)
Black Cherry
Yellow Submarine
Lucky Cross
Sungold
Black Zebra
Lemon Boy
Purple Cherokee
Celebrity

and dilemna: Black from Tula, Sarah Black, Black Sea Man or Paul Robeson?? Opinions welcomed!!

Yes, this keeps me up at night!
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2009   #40
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

no dilemma. hands down. J.D.'s Special C-Tex. If, and ONLY if you Can't get J.D.'s, then grow Black From tula or Paul Robeson.

You're in it deep now!

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2009   #41
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Sitting at home where the temperature will not be above zero today made me wish for planting time. My planting list for 2009 is as follows: (sorry about the capitals, I don't know how to paste from capitals and make them small).

My theme this year is tomatoes from around the world.
Will grow these out, put 24 in my garden and give away the rest:

CASPIAN PINK
CRNKOVIC YUGOSLAVIAN
GERMAN HEAD
GERMAN RED STRAWBERRY
GIANT SYRIAN
LARGE PINK BULGARIAN
MICHAEL’S PORTUGUESE MONSTER
OMARS LEBANESE
ORANGE RUSSIAN 117
POLISH
RUSSIAN APPLE TREE
SANDUL MOLDOVAN
HUNGARIAN HEART
INDIA
ITALIAN GIANT
NEVES AZOREAN RED
RUSSIAN BOGATYR
NEPAL
MEXICO
LARGE GERMAN
KOSOVO
GIANT BELGIUM
FOX CHERRY- request from DW
BLACK CHERRY-requests from friends and neighbors
DRUZBA
GERMAN JOHNSON
OLEYAR’S GERMAN
SOLDACKI-sounds worldly enough
STUMP OF THE WORLD-has the word world
RUSSIAN 117
TATAR OF MONGOLISTAN
RUSSIAN ROSE
ANNA RUSSIAN
ITALIAN PURPLE
TIDWELL GERMAN
JOE’S PORTUGUESE
AUSSIE
MEXICAN YELLOW
LITHUANIAN
GERMAN GOLD

Plus whichever dwarf growouts I am scheduled to receive.
Old January 15, 2009   #42
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
no dilemma. hands down. J.D.'s Special C-Tex. If, and ONLY if you Can't get J.D.'s, then grow Black From tula or Paul Robeson.

You're in it deep now!

DarJones

...wait, what?! I'm gone from here since last Winter, and what are all these tomatoes I don't know about!! Okay, back to 'Search'...

Diana
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2009   #43
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Yes, dreaming up tomato lists are most fun when the weather is at its worst. It just broke 20 below the past hour going to minus 25-30.

My list is just the essentials right now, as it looks like I am getting promoted and will be working in Champlain, NY, starting in a couple months. I plan on keeping my place here, and coming home every weekend, a 2 hour trek each way.

My biggest concern is how to be able to raise my own transplants. I may be transporting them back and forth with me for 2 months .

But, no matter what, I will be growing at a minimum:

Bloody Butcher (2)
Moskvich (2)
Brandywine
Ramapo F1 (2)
Momotaro F1 (2)
Black Cherry

I hope to be also growing:

Black Giant
Winsall
Aunt Ginnys Purple
Pale Perfect Purple
Box Car Willie
Goliath F1
Old Brooks
Early Wonder (pink)
Aunt Gerties Gold
Cherokee Purple

And 2 more that I can't think of right now .
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2009   #44
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

2009 Tomato Varieties

Lillian’s Red Kansas Paste (Not a true paste – juicy and delicious)

Marlowe Charleston (Ky Heirloom – 1-3 lbs. Early, large and one of the best tasting of 2008)

Dr. Neal (Heavy crops of 1-2 lb rose-pink beefsteaks. Solid fruit with few seeds, sweet yet complex tomato flavor)

Cherokee Purple (Some years are better than others, but CP is a must grow in my garden. Introduced by Craig LeHoullier of Raleigh NC. Dusky purplish fruits with outstanding smoky flavor)

Cherokee Chocolate – (A mutation of Cherokee Purple. Very similar. Fun to grow for comparison)

Dr. Lyle (Mid-season 1-2 lb pink beefsteaks. Regular leaf, large plant and yield. A keeper!)

Pink Ponderosa (Firm, meaty low acid pink beefsteaks, up to 2 lbs. Long time favorite)

Dora (8-12 oz beefsteak. A stable, deliberate cross of Cherokee Purple and Brandywine (Sudduth) by Keith Mueller of MO)

Chalk’s Early Jewel (Extra early, 4oz red tomato. Praised in the 1920 Burpee catalog)

Anna Russian (Mid-season 10-16 oz heart shaped fruits. Knock out flavor!)

Polish (Eckert) – (Great tasting, productive 1 lb dark pink beefsteaks)

Lithuanian (Late season potato leaf 1-2 lb pink beefsteaks. Delicious flavor)

Large Pink Bulgarian (Late mid-season RL 1-3 lb beefsteaks with excellent taste, a bit on the sweet side)

Gary O’ Senna – (Deep pink, almost purplish fruit with great taste!)

Taxi – (Very early bright yellow 4-7 oz fruits. Too mild for my taste, but first ripening non-cherry variety and would be good market tomato to capitalize on that early tomato-craving crowd!)

Mortgage Lifter (Old time variety still worth growing today. Very productive for a large tomato and one of my favorites!)

Sioux (Heirloom variety released in 1944 by the University of Nebraska. Round red, perfect fruits that look like a regular tomato. But the taste! Wow! Rich tomato old-fashioned flavor you remember from childhood. If I could only grow one tomato, this is it! Productive and another great market tomato!)

Yellow Brandywine (Platfoot strain) – (Deep, rich delicious flavor in deep yellow-golden 1-2 lb beefsteak tomatoes. Not sweet, not acidic, just right! I love this one and it is another must grow every year for me)

Aunt Gerties Gold (Very similar to Yellow Brandywine, sometimes more productive depending on the year. 1st place winner at the 2005 Cincinatti Heirloom Open-Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers (CHOPTAG) taste-fest!)

Azoychka (Beautiful smooth lemon yellow small beefsteak. Sweet and matures early. Another introduction by my friend Craig Le Houllier)

Brandywine OTV (Early, potato leaf red beefsteak. 1-2 lbs. A cross between Yellow Brandywine and unknown parent. Very productive and great taste!)

The following tomatoes were obtained in 2009 from Blue Ribbon Tomatoes who was recommended by my tomato buddy Gary Millwood from Louisville Ky. I have not grown these and have approximately 20 seeds for each variety.

Calf’s Heart (Mid-season Ky heirloom. 1 lb pink heart shaped deep red flesh)

Kentucky Plate (Large pink beefsteak. Ky heirloom variety)

Kentucky Yellow Beefsteak (8-12 oz fruity tart taste. Golden yellow Ky Heirloom)

Barnes Mountain Yellow (Deep golden 1-3lb Ky heirloom beefsteak. Very prolific)

Amish Oxheart (Meaty flesh. 12-16 oz Ky heirloom)

Buckeye Yellow (Ky/Ohio heirloom – 1-2 lb pale yellow. Meaty and mild)

Frank’s Large Red (Salty sweet 1 lb Ky heirloom. Seeds found in attic at Frank’s grandma’s house if my memory serves correctly)

Kentucky Striped (Large orange/red/yellow swirled Ky heirloom beefsteak)

Lennie and Gracie’s Kentucky Heirloom (Large, mild yellow ruffled fruit – Gotta love the name!)

Monk (Mild, red and juicy – 12-16 oz)

Orange Heart (Super productive, medium round orange salad type tomatoes)

Viva (Creamy white with yellow tint and pink blush. ½ lb Ky heirloom)

Cherry and smaller fruited varieties:

Pink Ping Pong (Exactly as the name suggests. Very sweet and great in salads)

Jaune Flamme (Yellow, ping pong sized fruits borne on large trellises. Pick all the ripe fruit in the summer, turn your back and another 2 dozen ripen, I swear! So productive it is tiring to pick them all!)

Black Cherry (Introduced by the late Vince Sapp from Tomato Growers Supply, this is a delicious dark purple fruit – great for snacking)

Sun Gold (hybrid) – (A very popular super sweet variety that convert even most folks who don’t like tomatoes. Too sweet for my taste, but kids especially love snacking from the garden)

Matt’s Wild Cherry – (Volumes of marble-sized fruits born in clusters. Tart flavor early and sweeter late in the season. Vigorous, indeterminate vines.)

The following will be grown to replenish seed (Received in 2009 from Dr. Carolyn Male, author of 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden)

Indiana Red
Tennesee Britches
Anna Maria’s Heart
Chapman
Linnie’s Oxheart
Orange Minsk

I know there will be a few more, but this is the preliminary list as of right now!

Duane
Old January 16, 2009   #45
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

I'm so excited to be able to put my post here! I have mailed my seeds to Canada. The local garden club has agreed to start them for me. All the extra plants will go to the annual plant sale fundraiser.
My 2009 tomato list is:

Sungold hybrid
Brandywine (pink)
Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red
Cherokee Purple

So as you can see - I'm going up from my 2 plants last year. You guys are inspiring.
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote