Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 12, 2019   #1
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Default Low maint Porch Containers for Dwarf

I am looking for low maintenance Porch Containers for Dwarf Plants. I had several on my deck last few years that did not look good and required daily watering. While taking care of all my other plants in the garden and dragging hoses etc it was just too much to water the deck plants also. Maybe drip lines in the future but for now
Thanks
Pete
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019   #2
JoParrott

Default low maintenance containers

I don't think there are truly any "low" maintenance containers !! I have gardened over 50 years, and have had many failures and many successes. Here in WA with our low humidity it is hard to keep containers watered- especially hanging baskets- we have constant drying winds- You should use large enough pots so the plants aren't constricted, of course with plenty of drainage holes (in the sides- bottom holes can clog up easily) With tall pots you can put things in the bottom to save on soil--pine cones, large rocks, styrofoam , etc. I have found double walled containers that worked well--helps keep the temp down on the roots. Be careful if you use drip system--it is easy to over-water without knowing it! A moisture meter is very helpful for containers- I use mine all the time! Good luck!
Old January 12, 2019   #3
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Earthbox, preferably get it with wheels included. It has a 3 gallon reservoir. I can grow two full sized tomato plants in one of them. They also have the smaller wheel-less junior version.

There are usually good deals on repackaged ones sold by amazon, they arrive like new for me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...style_name=all

PS. They're much more durable than City Picker, particularly the bigger wheels.

Last edited by maxjohnson; January 12, 2019 at 02:32 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019   #4
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

Earthbox or some version of the City Picker.
Old January 13, 2019   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

In hot weather, I place containers in a shallow bin into which I dump an inch or two of water, and let the media wick it up.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
I am looking for low maintenance Porch Containers for Dwarf Plants. I had several on my deck last few years that did not look good and required daily watering. While taking care of all my other plants in the garden and dragging hoses etc it was just too much to water the deck plants also. Maybe drip lines in the future but for now
Thanks
Pete
Drip lines work great. But for now, if you like pets (Dogs, cats, etc.) try to think of those porch containers like that. Don't drag a hose. Instead, feed them special food that you mix yourself and hand water. Nourish them, a little petting, and talk to them. I know, it sounds crazy, but it is sound advice.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #7
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Last yr. I even bought Plastic oil change vessels @ dollar store - with a cherry tom plant in them i still had to fill them up daily in heat - like 2' diameter at top and 20" tall pots in vessels - I had several, and yes salt, i do talk to 'em just looking for easy like always
Pete

Last edited by tryno12; January 13, 2019 at 02:01 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old January 13, 2019   #8
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Maybe i will make a couple grow box's from storage totes? but i wonder if the plastic tote needs to be some type of special plastic i read somewhere? Although i have grow plenty of toms in 5 gallon lowe's buckets...............
Old January 13, 2019   #9
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryno12 View Post
Maybe i will make a couple grow box's from storage totes? but i wonder if the plastic tote needs to be some type of special plastic i read somewhere? Although i have grow plenty of toms in 5 gallon lowe's buckets...............
Yes you can do that and save money, there are lots of ideas on YouTube. One way is to stack two 5gallon buckets and use the bottom one as the reservoir. I would drill a hole in the bottom of the top bucket and place a hydroponic net cup over it. Use potting mix to allow wicking action.

Though Earthbox plastic is UV treated and can last many years under the sun.

This is why I like fabric grow bags because they can wick water from all sides.

Last edited by maxjohnson; January 13, 2019 at 05:32 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #10
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have used 5 gallon buckets for year from Lowes and other places and they have held up well. I use the one bucket method. I also made my own "earthboxes" from storage totes, and they deteriorated after a few seasons. I thought the earthboxes looked small compared to them, but the earthboxes held just as much soil. I am very happy with the earthboxes I pruchased and expect them to last a long time. I hook up a watering system from 1/2 inch irrigation tubing and a weighted dripper in each tube. That I have hooked up to a timer for daily watering during the heat of the summer. It is so worth the effort and can be reused for many seasons.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2019   #11
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Hi Nancy, how many Toms do you get in a 29" long 12" high Earth box? Dwarf, Cherry, or Indeterminate?
I was also worried about the hot plastic - someone said bad for your health - that is why I may just pay the $ for EarthBox.
I to used 5 Gallon Buckets but am looking for a better fix.

BTW when i drove 2 summers ago to Royal Oak then thru to Clawson to car show via neighborhoods from Normandy Str. , passed a driveway that was lined w/tall steel poles of single stem toms(maybe 10 poles) that looked really good so I know there are good gardeners near you!

Thanks
Pete
Old January 14, 2019   #12
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Any big plants will require serious water, that's the reality. If you want lower maintenance, micro dwarfs are the way to go (not too productive overall), or some smaller determinates (my mother has great success with Maskotka).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019   #13
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Pete, I put 2 tomato plants or 3 pepper plants in earthboxes, 1 in the 5 gallon buckets. I grow mostly dwarfs in them. It would be harder to cage the bigger plants, though if you see pictures of Marsha’s backyard you will see how she constructed a cage around each box. Since they are along my driveway, we put a pvc frame around 2 boxes at a time. This just sits on the driveway and can be disassembled at the end of the season.

Yes, more and more urban gardeners. Containers and projects like the Dwarf Project made it doable. Thanks, Tomatoville, for your huge contribution.

Yes, Detroit is car show heaven. I think the North American Car Show is going now, though we are 1200 miles away. If you are into vintage cars, the Woodward Ave Dream Cruise in the summer is an amazing event.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019   #14
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Yes, EarthBoxes are about as simple and low-maintenance as it gets. The only real "work" is planting your veggies and end-of-season cleanup. I drilled a drain hole at the bottom of my EBs and use a rubber stopper to plug it during use. At the end of the season, I remove the plug and drain the boxes, then turn the boxes on their sides (overflow down) so that the boxes are not damaged by water freezing in the boxes. Putting the box on a sturdy table or stand is very helpful for the back! I have a stand for my 9 boxes that I made which raises the boxes about 18"

There is an EarthBox forum with lots of Q&A that is quite helpful. BTW, leaving the roots in the boxes over winter helps keep the potting mix from falling out. And if you decide to get an EB, please don't consider an EB Junior for tomatoes. They are just too small for anything other than micro or near micro dwarf tomatoes.

Last edited by Greatgardens; January 14, 2019 at 11:34 PM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2019   #15
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Nancy! That wasn't your driveway I/we drove by near Clawson / Royal Oak border I described earlier? Sister lives in Royal Oak retiring soon. I / we visit her on occasion.
Pete