Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 20, 2018   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default Our Tomatoes

For anyone who is into this sort of thing -- I just started a Facebook Group called "Our Tomatoes"

The group is open to all.

The purpose is to provide a place for people to scroll through photos and descriptions/discussions of new and loved tomato varieties.

It is also a place for gardeners and growers to recommend their favorite varieties, and also a place for any small seed seller and/or independent breeder to highlight varieties.

Truly nothing can replace the wealth of in-depth discussion of tomatoes here at Tomatoville. It is the top place I go to discuss and learn about all aspects of tomatoes and tomato growing. But I hope the Group will provide a place for those interested in a focused image-based experience.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2019   #2
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
For anyone who is into this sort of thing -- I just started a Facebook Group called "Our Tomatoes"

The group is open to all.

The purpose is to provide a place for people to scroll through photos and descriptions/discussions of new and loved tomato varieties.

It is also a place for gardeners and growers to recommend their favorite varieties, and also a place for any small seed seller and/or independent breeder to highlight varieties.

Truly nothing can replace the wealth of in-depth discussion of tomatoes here at Tomatoville. It is the top place I go to discuss and learn about all aspects of tomatoes and tomato growing. But I hope the Group will provide a place for those interested in a focused image-based experience.
Not finding it ... is there a link somewhere?
Old January 7, 2019   #3
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

It was hard to find. the name didn't bring any results..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Interesting.

Here's the link
Old January 7, 2019   #5
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Interesting.

Here's the link
Thanks!
Old January 7, 2019   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I followed your link and it showed Talvez and Madera "available only at Artisan.com" But when I follow that link, Madera is not shown. However, it is shown at your kickstarter link/page. So presume you are only selling it through your kickstarter campaign. How large or how much weight is typical for Madera? Really can't tell from the pics.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #7
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

There is no current kickstarter. We had one last year when we were trying to raise some funds for seed production.

Madera is available though at www.growartisan.com but the website is kind of clunky. It might not be obvious right away where it is. There is a "product" tab at the top that can be clicked to show all varieties. Madera is on page 2 of the product list.

We would rather sell via Johnny's and anything that becomes "successful" will be passed on to them.

Size-wise, Madera is similar to Sun Gold. It starts out as a cherry tomato, and like Sun Gold, later on it is a smaller cherry. It is smaller than all of our Bumblebee varieties.

One more thing I want to re-iterate, though, is that Our Tomatoes is a place for any independent breeder to highlight their varieties. It is also a place for gardeners or growers to share their favorite varieties.

To keep the group focused. Posts should include at least one photo of the tomato variety, a bit of introduction to the variety, and where one can obtain seeds. In some cases we will have gardeners with seeds to share, but in other cases gardeners will point to where the variety can be purchased.

And there is a 1-post-per-day limit, so no one just comes in and spams the group with endless posts about their catalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I followed your link and it showed Talvez and Madera "available only at Artisan.com" But when I follow that link, Madera is not shown. However, it is shown at your kickstarter link/page. So presume you are only selling it through your kickstarter campaign. How large or how much weight is typical for Madera? Really can't tell from the pics.

Last edited by Fred Hempel; January 7, 2019 at 12:18 PM.
Old January 7, 2019   #8
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I was glad to find another EU vendor through that group, Karierte Tomate. While the website looks a bit chaotic, they do have impressive variety of veggie seeds. Are you familiar with them, Mr Fred? Prior to that Facebook group, I had never heard seen them (and I have come across a few EU gardening sites)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #9
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I was vaguely familiar with Karierte Tomate previously, but I am becoming more familiar every time they post a new variety.

Overall, the varieties they post seem interesting.
Old January 7, 2019   #10
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Fred. I appreciate your follow-up!

-Larry
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #11
Jeanus
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the link I could not find it otherwise.
Jeanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2019   #12
PlainJane

Yes, thank you for the link, and for setting up the FB Group.

I like to see what folks are doing as far as independent breeding efforts.
And it’s cool that offerings are coming from the EU. I stumbled on Vertiloom some months back and ordered seeds from them ... interesting varieties, great photography and prompt service... so I’m happy.
Of course, I order from lots of local USA sources too.
Old January 7, 2019   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Wonderful! Thank you!
Old January 8, 2019   #14
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

The participation of the Europeans is one of the most interesting aspects of the group. And it has been nice for me to also see some of the best new things small companies/breeders in the US have too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJane View Post
Yes, thank you for the link, and for setting up the FB Group.

I like to see what folks are doing as far as independent breeding efforts.
And it’s cool that offerings are coming from the EU. I stumbled on Vertiloom some months back and ordered seeds from them ... interesting varieties, great photography and prompt service... so I’m happy.
Of course, I order from lots of local USA sources too.
Old January 8, 2019   #15
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™