Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 31, 2018   #1
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Default What grows in my garden

I mainly grow vegetables. I also have fruit trees there, but I do not care much about it. I had no fruit for two years because the flowers and small berries froze. The bigger the harvest this year should be. Perhaps it's best if I start with what I enjoy the most. Tomatoes.
This year I have 27 shrimp tomatoes in two cold beds. Currently, I'm ripening tomato tomatoes once or twice a day.
I also have 80 indeterminate tomatoes. I have them planted in a small space of 18 square meters, 190 square feet. Tomatoes hanging spirals are guided on one stalk. So far, all tomatoes grow nicely (except one).
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2061.jpg (710.5 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2039.jpg (541.3 KB, 254 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2018   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

It's not hard to see how much you like tomatoes!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2018   #3
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

It looks like a tomato plantation) Is it looks like a traditional Czech tomato growing iron contruction?

As for fruit trees it is not usual for them not to bear any fruit even due to some frost when blooming. Especially in your warmer area than ours.
Even if they are quite old trees it would be better to prune them at least a little bit to stimulate new strong branches to grow. And you can graft more varieties on these old trees.
I have 3 apple-trees with 3-4 diferent varieties on every tree. It is really funny

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; June 1, 2018 at 01:25 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2018   #4
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Cherries are currently the most expensive fruit on the market. I was in the Lair yesterday, and I did not trust my eyes. They sold 1 kg of cherry for 190, - CZK. At the same time, the kilogram of bananas imported from somewhere in Africa is worth CZK 19. Why is that so? Because no one here wants to harvest cherries. I'd rather leave the cherries to the Starlings who harvested them perfectly. As our grandson arrives for the weekend, I went to a neighbor to harvest some cherries. After a while, I had two kilograms and I drove home.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2084.jpg (381.0 KB, 215 views)
Old June 1, 2018   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Andrey,
the weather in Belarus can not be compared to the weather in Bohemia. April is warmer in our country and the trees react to this - they will soon bloom. Then, just one night frost and there is no harvest.
I do not like more varieties on one tree. I do not like more varieties on one tree. The famous gardener, after experiencing this spring, wrote:
„In exceptionally favorable pollination conditions, the problem of more varieties with different fertility in one tree is pronounced. One variety is very much second variety is almost nothing“.¨
Vladimír
Old June 1, 2018   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You will never know what a banana really tastes like until you have had one ripened on the plant.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2018   #7
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I'll have to make up with it. Bananas are not my favorite fruits either.
Vladimír
Old June 1, 2018   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I'll have to make up with it. Bananas are not my favorite fruits either.
Vladimír
I eat them out of necessity from the loss of potassium, magnesium and other things from sweating in this heat at work.
If I dont eat bananas in the summer my legs switch at night and I cant go to sleep.

Wild bananas are full of large hard seeds.
Old June 1, 2018   #9
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Do you think that bananas help with muscle spasms in the leg?
Vladimír
Old June 1, 2018   #10
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Do you think that bananas help with muscle spasms in the leg?
Vladimír
It works for me at least.
I can always tell when I didn't get enough potassium or magnesium.
I have been fighting it for years at least since I was in my late 30's.
Restless leg syndrome and low blood potassium are very much the same.
They require testing and RLS is a neurological disorder the low potassium is easy to fix.
My doctor agreed with me if the bananas fixed it then that was good enough for him.
He is a good doctor one of the best.

Potassium Deficiency - Potassium deficiency occurs when an individual does not have enough of the nutrient potassium in their body. Symptoms of potassium deficiency include muscle cramps, muscle fatigue, weakness, irritability, dry skin, irregular heartbeat, fatigue, depression, insomnia, nausea, low blood pressure, constipation, headaches, and thirst. Potassium deficiency and Restless Legs Syndrome share many of the same symptoms and can appear almost identical to medical professionals, however are not related. In order to ensure the proper diagnosis, both a blood test and a urine test may be performed to analyze the amount of potassium an individual has in their system and determine if they are deficient. If the tests return negative for deficiency, then a diagnosis of Restless Legs Syndrome should be entertained.

Back to your wire spirals I have yet to make any and I have no excuse for it.

Worth
Old June 2, 2018   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I'm glad you reminded me of that. We are extremely hot every day here (28 °C and more), and I work for two to three hours in the garden (in the sun). I'm trying to replenish mainly magnesium by drinking mineral water, but it has happened to me that I woke up at night and had cramps in my knees. Bananas would be a good choice for me. Thanks.
Vladimir
Old June 2, 2018   #12
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir,
yes, you are in much warmer and early maturing area, but those frosts that you have in April we have in May.
It is to regulate amount of blossoms on fruit trees and garden strawberries, but most of trees and berries survive these light frosts.
As for several varieties on one tree you should use varieties of close maturity terms like early and mid early or mid late and late. Sometimes we even graft pear on apple tree or graft cherry on plum tree or cherry to plum-cherry tree

Quote:
Andrey,
the weather in Belarus can not be compared to the weather in Bohemia. April is warmer in our country and the trees react to this - they will soon bloom. Then, just one night frost and there is no harvest.
I do not like more varieties on one tree. I do not like more varieties on one tree. The famous gardener, after experiencing this spring, wrote:
„In exceptionally favorable pollination conditions, the problem of more varieties with different fertility in one tree is pronounced. One variety is very much second variety is almost nothing“.¨
Vladimír

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; June 2, 2018 at 01:48 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #13
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Trees can not be protected from frost. And so the whole spring is waiting for what will freeze and what not. This year nothing has frozen.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 131415.jpg (112.5 KB, 163 views)
Old June 3, 2018   #14
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

My mother experienced leg cramps and started drinking tonic water. It has quinine in it, which she was told would help the cramps. Tonic water stopped the cramps, for whatever reason.
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2018   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
My mother experienced leg cramps and started drinking tonic water. It has quinine in it, which she was told would help the cramps. Tonic water stopped the cramps, for whatever reason.
Nan
Quinine is used for RLS but has side effects.
I highly doubt the amount in tonic water it too much for side effects unless she is drinking a ton of it.

Worth