Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 12, 2015   #16
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Nevada, tolerates heat well into June, cut and come again, pull the plant or harvest individual leaves. It has a softer texture than romaine but is still crisp and tastes great.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #17
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
+1 Frank Morton, the owner of Wild Garden Seed, is a super talented breeder of lettuces and many other things. He lists 100 lettuce varieties, and offers some really great seed mixes from works in progress.
With two TVille recommendations for him and his lettuce, I'll have to order some this year. I've surfed his site before and was quite impressed with what he does.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #18
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I second the Jericho (romaine), Nevada (batavian type), and Pirat (butterhead). They can take the heat. Also Two Star (green leaf lettuce) and Galactic (deep red glossy leaf lettuce). And of course Little Gem and Tom Thumb. I also grow a mesclun mix just for fun.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #19
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

For heat I like Sierra. I was able to grow it all summer long. For cooler temps Little Gem (aka Sucrine) is my favorite.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Cole Robbie, if this does well for you in IL I should try it in southern WI. How deep into summer do you grow it and how does the flavor hold up?
It's a spring crop for me. It also does well in containers.

I've had market customers recommend Nevada as a heat-tolerant lettuce.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #21
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I grow Nevada as well. Never bolted for me and tastes great.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #22
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Les Orielles de diables
Forellenschluss
Nevada
Jericho
Outredgous

take a look at wildgardenseeds for some good ideas. http://www.wildgardenseed.com/

A BIG thanks for the link, Darrel.

Since you're the one who now has set my seed swap back a few hours, others know who to blame.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #23
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

My gardening buddy down the road grows nothing but Nevada. She loves it, and claims that it is both heat and cold tolerant. She gave us a lettuce to try in the summer and it was very good. I'll be growing it next year!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #24
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

This thread tempting me to grow some lettuce coming spring.
We have perfect weather for lettuce, except for the slugs. They LUve lettuce. hehe
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #25
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default Your Favorite Lettuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
This thread tempting me to grow some lettuce coming spring.
We have perfect weather for lettuce, except for the slugs. They LUve lettuce. hehe

If you can find a way to deal with the slugs, lettuce is very much worth growing. Aside from the fact that it'll be so much better than store bought, for the cost of one head of lettuce, you can buy a pack of 500+ seeds. It's easy to grow, takes little space, and grows very quickly.

Last edited by Father'sDaughter; December 12, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I grew some of the most beautiful bug free pesticide free high dollar butter head lettuce one year and I couldn't give it away.
It seems as all anyone here wanted or was familiar with was iceberg head lettuce.

What a darn shame.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #27
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I grew some of the most beautiful bug free pesticide free high dollar butter head lettuce one year and I couldn't give it away.
It seems as all anyone here wanted or was familiar with was iceberg head lettuce.

What a darn shame.

Worth
Even iceberg -type head lettuce is easy to grow, just needs a head start in flats or cells. I can grow it up here, it grows fast into beautiful greener and a bit looser than grocery store iceberg heads and tastes about 100 x better. (The difference between a grocery store tomato and a home grown one better).
really, really good in my garden.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #28
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I've never really tried to grow lettuce before now. I got a greenhouse in August and I'm just getting used to being able to grow year-round... maybe. That is still to be determined. January is our coldest month and that's still to come! So far, so good.

Right now, I've got lots of different lettuces out there to see what I like best. I got some from Johnnys and Fedco plus the racks at Wally world. My two favorites right now are Yugoslavian Red Butterhead and osgarde. I also have tango, lolla rosa, freckles romaine, green oak leaf, vivian romaine, silvia romaine, outredgeous, red sails, green and red salad bowl, winter marvel, rouge d'hiver and black seeded simpson.

I've got to say... this is fun! When you actually grow things under the right conditions, they do really well! Who knew? I'll be looking to find some that will do well in the heat of summer. I guess I should try Nevada since that's where I am!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #29
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Even iceberg -type head lettuce is easy to grow, just needs a head start in flats or cells. I can grow it up here, it grows fast into beautiful greener and a bit looser than grocery store iceberg heads and tastes about 100 x better. (The difference between a grocery store tomato and a home grown one better).
really, really good in my garden.
KO
That was also my experience with growing iceberg.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2015   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have had all kinds of home grown lettuce including iceberg.
The sad fact of the matter is it always seems some type of vegetable or animal becomes more popular over another.
I dont know why this is but the losers end up being more expensive and people on a tight budget never get a chance to taste these other things.
A goose at my store is close to $100.
Butter head is maybe 4 times higher than iceberg.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote