Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 11, 2010   #1
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Default Found my first accidental cross

Its supposed to be Green Doctors but I'm pretty sure its not. It was next to Black Cherry and just across from Reif Red Heart and Gianini. I will post some pictures later today but the fruit look like cherries but also look a little plumish with pointed bottoms and too large for Green Doctors.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
Its supposed to be Green Doctors but I'm pretty sure its not. It was next to Black Cherry and just across from Reif Red Heart and Gianini. I will post some pictures later today but the fruit look like cherries but also look a little plumish with pointed bottoms and too large for Green Doctors.

Damon
Damon, if these are new seeds for you and not saved ones why are you mentioning the other varieties that it's near?

BTW, that's Giannini for the spelling; you'll like it I'm sure.

Green Doctors as well as Green Doctors Frosted are both perfectly round cherries, not plum shaped and no pointed bottoms.

What was your seed source? Just curious. I know I distributed GD Frosted, but not GD in my seed offer, so I'm innocent, and the GD I do have is seed from Ms Goldman herself which has grown pure for those to whom I have sent seed.
Old June 11, 2010   #3
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn- I recieved my Giannini seeds from you, and my Green Doctors seeds from Sandhill early last year. I grew them both out in 2009 and both grew true. I sowed and planted seed saved from last years Green Doctors, not the seed I got from Glenn at Sandhill. And yes I did love both varieties, especially Green Doctors! Why didn't I just sow and plant more of the Green Doctors seed I got from Glenn, I'm not sure but I do have a cross here. Here are a couple pictures, let me know what you think.

Damon
Old June 11, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like a cherry-like truss but how about we wait until they ripen and then talk about it again when the color is apparent.?

You can't just look at the varieties closest to your Green Doctor plants to see what it might have crossed with b'c most insect pollinators can fly very long distances, like at least a mile.

Heck, if it turns out to be a mini-heart you can send me some of those F1 seeds. Wouldn't you say so?
Old June 11, 2010   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Because I'm curious Damon, just a couple of questions.

How many Green Doctor fruits did you save seed from?

How many plants from your saved seed did you plant out?
Old June 11, 2010   #6
OkieJason
Tomatovillian™

I think the fruit on that plant is very striking. Looking forward to seeing the color when ripe.

Jason
OkieJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2010   #7
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn- I saved seed from about a dozen fruit. I raised several plants but only planted one as I gave the rest away.

Damon
Old June 29, 2010   #8
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Well, they are coloring up now, here are a couple pictures, looks like a red to me. Will taste them in a couple few days.

Damon
Old June 29, 2010   #9
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Really nice looking fruit. Foliage looks nice and healthy. Curious what they'll taste like.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2010   #10
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

I agree, this really looks like a nice fruit, I hope it tastes as good as it looks; you'll be getting a few requests for seed I'm sure.

Danwigz
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2010   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Cute Damon, cute. look almost like, but not quite, mini-hearts which should warm the cockles of we heart lovers everywhere.

So if they taste good you're going to save a lot of the F1 seeds and then grow out a bunch of F2's and make a selection for what you see, or just make selections from the F2's for what looks and tastes great?

And about 3-7 years from now you'll have some genetically stabilized newly named varieties to share with us. Right?

Don't forget I'm older than you are so get to it heart lover.

I wonder what you would have gotten had you planted out more than the one plant from that saved seed?
Old June 30, 2010   #12
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

This plant is a huge, fruit setting machine, I'll take a picture of the overall plant later today. And I too hope it taste really good, I'll keep everybody updated, thanks. And Carolyn if it does taste good I will pursue to stabalize it, after all its got GD in its parentage which is a good thing.

Damon
Old July 2, 2010   #13
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Well here they are sliced up. The flavor was excellent, very balanced taste. I give it a 9 out 10. I will definitely be growing out a few f2's.

Damon
Old July 2, 2010   #14
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a winner.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2010   #15
OkieJason
Tomatovillian™

Very impressive, I am glad they taste as good as they look. If you have any F2 seeds to share I will be the second one to officially ask for some...... ! If their is any variety want seeds for id be happy to get them and send to you for the trade.

Since the fruit is red, does that mean the other parent is red since we know one parent was Green Doctors? I notice one of the fruits has 3 locules. Does Green Doctors have 2 locules?

Jason
OkieJason is offline   Reply With Quote