Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 19, 2010   #31
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I want to thank everyone for all the kind posts.

I've not posted much in this thread as I don't want it to look like I'm only here to promote my site. I really enjoy reading here and adding to threads if I think I can help.

As mentioned in a few of the posts, I'm accomodating if you need to change something or want some help. I know my web site doesn't work for everyone so if you need something, just give me an email. At this time of the year, I'm usually around the computer for at least several hours every day. My company is just me when it comes to the seeds, so you get personal attention that just isn't available at a lot of bigger seed companies. I also don't do all that many orders that things will be backed up most of the time as can happen with some companies.

BTW, I'm open to trades for new-to-me varieties if you would like to get seeds that way.

Thanks all,
Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2010   #32
rgoldman
Tomatovillian™

I ordered seeds last Friday and they arrived in Southern California today and will be planted tomorrow!
rgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2010   #33
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I just want to let people know that for some unknown reason mail seems to be taking longer to be delivered lately.

I've had several requests for info about orders that I sent out long enough that they should have been there already. Instead of 2 - 3 days from the mid-west to the west coast some of my packages are taking up to a week to 10 days. One package took from the Tuesday after President's day (2/16) til Thursday 2/25 to get from Wisconsin to Washington state. I don't know why as the storms lately have been east of me not to the west.

I've been trying to get orders out within a couple 3 days of getting them, but this week I did have some Dr's appointments with my Mom that delayed a few orders a couple of days. I know this is an anxious time for all looking for their seeds and I'm trying to take care of orders in a timely basis.

Thanks for understanding about the Post Office tho,
Carol
Old March 5, 2010   #34
matertoo
Tomatovillian™

I placed an order with Knapp's on 2/26/10 and it arrived in excellent condition in today's mail. I have already started the ones that I was especially interested in. Everything was well packaged and amounts seemed generous. Good job Carol.

Happy Matering,

Paul

Last edited by matertoo; March 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: awkard sentence structure
matertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2010   #35
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

I purchased seeds from Knapp's. Knapp's has the most awesome customer service. They are planted and I am happy to report that the seeds from Carol have GREAT germination!
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2010   #36
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Knapp's is one of the best. They have a broad selection and the prices are inexpensive. Carol gives a very generous seed count in her packets. My seeds arrived in less than a week. You are given multiple payment options which is real convenient. Best of all, germination rate on most of my seeds was 90-100%! Be sure to check out Knapp's for next year and you won't be sorry.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2010   #37
frozengirl
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from Carol twice over the past two years and she went WAY beyond the call of duty to get me my stuff on time/short notice. Unlike quite a few other heirloom seed vendors she is wonderful about answering questions and returning e-mails quickly. Seed germination was great and she even provided extra seeds. Looking forward to falls seed list.
frozengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2010   #38
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Came across the Knapp's website this evening. Great listing - worthy of an extended browse!
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2010   #39
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Yes, agreed. The sample packs had more than enough seeds & arrived in short order.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2010   #40
Idahowoman
Tomatovillian™

I ordered seed from carol a couple of months ago. She has a great selection. I can't wait to see what she will have this fall-winter that I can't live without.
Idahowoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2010   #41
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Carol has a great selection indeed - and a great customer service!

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2010   #42
paprika
Tomatovillian™

Default I Highly Recommend

Delightful Experience!

She is more than generous with her seed count, has great customer service, and what a wonderful assortment of varieties!

Thanks Carol!

TimothyT
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2010   #43
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Carol,

Do you have a list of the new varieties you added this year (in plain text format), so I can add it to your vendor page at Tatiana's TOMATObase?

That'll save me tons of time if I get a list from you. Please PM it to me if you have it.

Thanks,
Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2010   #44
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I don't at the moment, but I should be able to convert a spreadsheet to text of some kind. I'll get something to you later this week.

Thanks for the listing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For the others out there looking for some hard to find varieties, we just started processing seeds for this year. We only have a handful done so far but are trying to get an earlier start so I can get to all the varieties I want to save this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another note --

For anyone that ordered Anna Russian from me this year, it looks like there may be some crossed seed. I bought my seed last year but what I save and what is growing in my planting doesn't look much like Anna Russian. Out of about 2 dozen plants, only a few look vaguely like a pink heart and they aren't very large at all. I will be pulling that variety til I can grow some new seeds from another source.

Sorry for the bad seeds. If you would like something else, I have several good hearts available and more soon.

Carol
Old September 17, 2010   #45
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

While we are still very early in the seed processing, I thought I would post a few of the varieties we've gotten to so far.

Ashleigh,
Aussie,
Cowlick's Brandywine,
Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge,
Yugoslavian,
Green Doctors Frosted,

Those are the new-to-me varieties I remember off the top of my head.

We haven't gotten a whole lot of seed from any of the varieties as some of them only have had a small amount of ripe fruit so far. But even a few varieties we've done a 5 gal bucket, we haven't gotten a lot of seed. Must be the year or something. Last year 5 gal would give me 2-6 oz of seed. This year most are only giving about 1/2 oz or less.

For some varieties I know it's because they just don't make a lot of seed, like the oxhearts and romas. For others tho, it just seems like it's the year. For some of the varieties I will be able to go back and pick more as many still have green fruit and the plants are still alive.

For some tho, the heavy rains this summer stunted or outright killed some varieties. I tried to not put the new varieties in areas known to be wet, but there were more wet spots than we knew about this year.

I know a few of those varieties are going to be in demand, but no orders on any of these yet as they are just drying and will need to be germination tested before I will send anything out.

Hopefully everything will be as good as usual, but every now and again a variety will surprise me and be a crummy germinator. That's why I wait til I can test.

Carol