Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2011   #1
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Default Pollen viability question

I have been using an electric toothbrush to vibrate and help pollinate my tomatoes. For the last two weeks I have held a small blue glass vial in front of the blossoms when I use the toothbrush. My vial is about one quarter full and airtight and I keep it in a zip-lock bag in the freezer.
By mid June the temps and humidity will be in the high 90s. I will still have blooming plants that will not pollinate because of weather. Can I hand pollinate some of the blossoms with the collected pollen? I do realize I cannot save seeds from any of these fruits if they develop, but they should be fine for eating and sharing with friends. Just trying to find a solution to the midsummer doldrums of no fruit set till September. I have no idea how long the pollen will keep and remain viable to use. I plan to use a small artist brush to touch each bright yellow flower as the open. I know it sounds strange but can it work? Anyone else ever attempted something like this?

just curious
ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #2
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

A little bit out of order, but...

Can I hand pollinate some of the blossoms with the collected pollen?
Yes.

I do realize I cannot save seeds from any of these fruits if they develop, but they should be fine for eating and sharing with friends.
That is correct, saved seeds would be an F1 cross, but this year's fruit will be fine with no perceivable differences.

...My vial is about one quarter full and airtight and I keep it in a zip-lock bag in the freezer...
I have no idea how long the pollen will keep and remain viable to use. I plan to use a small artist brush to touch each bright yellow flower as the open.

With no precautions at all pollen can remain viable for 3 days, stored in a refridgerator 31+ days, and stored in an airtight vial in the freezer 3 months even longer. I can't be more specific because it depends on the humidity and temperature of the freezer and whether or not silica gel is included in the storage. You might want to consider doing the following google search:
tomato pollen viability

I know it sounds strange but can it work?
Yes.

Anyone else ever attempted something like this?
I haven't. I've always used pollen within 3 days of collection. Sorry. I think others that post here have done what you propose. Perhaps they'll see the thread and chime in.

Good luck.

You're an okie from muskogee right? Gee I bet you never heard that one before. And of course I have to mention that I mean no offense at all in any way.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #3
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Randy

That is the kind of information I was looking for. I plan to attempt this when the weather turns hot and humid and fruit set stops. Just looking at next weeks forecast, that may be real soon. I have had over 20inches of rain in the last month and the plants are somewhat stunted in growth but are loaded with small fruit that I hope will mature with the coming warmth and sunshine. I planted out March 15th and protected them numerous times from the cold. I found it most difficult to try and protect from wind and rain but they still look good but much shorter and not as robust as normal. My goal was to have more fruit set before the heat and humidity arrived and I have achieved that.

I was born and raised in Muskogee and was at the Civic Center the night that Merle Haggard debuted his now famous song. As I remember there was an aroma of stale beer and burning hemp in the air while he sang. So no offense taken and I still have fond memories of days go by.

much older and hopefully somewhat wiser

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote