Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 25, 2011   #31
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...Gleckler+seeds

I think this is the one.
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011   #32
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
I added it to my list to buy from Gleckler seeds, but I would like to be sure they are selling "true" Christopher Columbus seeds. Does anyone know the original source of Adam's seed?
I was the source, and my original source was Fusion Power.

Edit/add - there is some variation in fruit size, can sometimes be quite a bit IME growing it for the last two years. And I don't mean from one plant to another, which would indicate possible instability, I mean on a particular plant.

Add x 2 - I've never gotten fruits as big as Tom has, but fruits in my hot TX garden can sometimes reach a little over a pound. And I sort of dropped the ball in my yearbook description on this by putting a rather low (too low) size range for this variety when it was first listed. This may have added to the confusion ...

And Tom, let me know if you want me to split off this CC discussion to another thread. Don't want to hijack your blog thread.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011   #33
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
I was the source, and my original source was Fusion Power.
Thanks Suze! I assumed it must be a reliable source since Gleckler's were offering it, but just wanted to make sure. I don't like to purchase seed and have it be an unexpected variety.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011   #34
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobig_or_Gohome_toms View Post
Thanks Gobig! That is a good thread, but I was looking for this one (source of seeds sent to Gleckler):

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ssion+gleckler
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011   #35
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Note/bump: several recent posts from darwinslair's Three Daughter's Farm blog thread here relating to Christopher Columbus were either moved or copied over to this thread.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2011   #36
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Of my pastes this far and away outperformed the others this year. We had an early freeze September 14th. These plants did not die but the San Marzanos planted next to them were destroyed. The only plants in this area that also lived through that freeze were Orange Strawberry which did finally produce a set of tomatoes, but so late in the year that I am not going to bother with them again.

With all of the issues that tomatoes had for me this year with heat, cold, wet, drought, freezing, etc, good to know that these can handle whatever is going to happen.

Of course, now EVERYTHING is frozen, but those, Rumi Banjan, and a few siberian varieties were the last men standing.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2011   #37
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Looks like CC is holding pretty much true to type. I'd like to point out that I rank CC similar to Opalka in being a decent flavored paste tomato but that it handles stress better. Not to say that it is a 100% reliable hitter, it goes down fast to early blight.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote