Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default KBX or Kellogg'd Breakfast

Oops, messed that title up. Oh well, you know what I meant.

Still looking up info on the seeds I have. The internet is very confusing on these two.

Are Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX the same thing?

I have read that they/it may not be suited for the hot summers here in Texas. Is this true?

Thanks
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #2
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

From what I understand, the KBX is Kellogg's Breakfast potato leaf. Kellogg's Breakfast is RL. I have read that KBX is more disease resistant down here in the South. I hope to grow KBX next spring.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Oops, messed that title up. Oh well, you know what I meant.

Still looking up info on the seeds I have. The internet is very confusing on these two.

Are Kellogg's Breakfast and KBX the same thing?

I have read that they/it may not be suited for the hot summers here in Texas. Is this true?

Thanks
First KBX from Tania's site which I must prefer over any general Googling.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/KBX

Note how many in TX grew it and loved it.

Now KB

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/K...%27s_Breakfast

Note the comment from the person in Pasadena, TX

And I know many in TX who grow them both and love them.

For KBX you saw that Martha Hufford was the first one to find what she called KBX. We were both at the AOL Tomato forum at the time and she distributed seeds to several of us so I was one of the first to grow it.

The question is always asked if an RL variety is followed by a PL variant, are they the same except for leaf form. i Can say that I saw no difference with KB and KBX, some have said that they have, and I saw no difference between Indian Stripe RL, the original, and IS PL. But those who have grown Cherokee Purple and the two PL variants of that, Cheokee Purple Potato Leaf and Spudakee have not always agreed that the PL and RL's are the same, but the origins of the two PL ones could be different as well.

What is usually not known is if a person grew the RL and PL variant in the same season so that a direct comparison can be made. For KB and KBX and also IS RL and IS PL I did grow both the RLO and PL variants in the same season,

Carolyn
Old May 24, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thank you again
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Last year (in the winter) I did some checking on KB and KBX. Jury was divided. No clear winner.
Some praised KBX and some liked KB. So I had to choose one because I didn't have the real estate for both. My decision was KB, RL. The influencing factor was that PL varieties were prone to to mold disease in our wet cool PNW last season. Almost all of the varieties with PL had mold:
MATINA, BLOODY BUTCHER, STUPICE, JBT.

One more note: My KB plants are amongst the smallest, slow growing ones.
The season has just begun. We shall see how they will perform. My other yellow variety is Azoychka. It is doing great so far.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #6
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

In Oklahoma I grow KB and love it!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #7
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Could not help myself - bought a Kellogg's Breakfast (RL) today. It is in pathetic shape, although with one fruit already (at least I know ONE will ripen!) If I am lucky, I will have tomatoes in September from it for maybe 2 weeks. I think I must be crazy. I just heard how yummy it is so many times, I couldn't help myself!

Hello, my name is Jenn, and I am a tomato addict.

Salt, do you have room for both? Find out for yourself how they grow and let us watch!

Last edited by wormgirl; May 25, 2015 at 12:31 AM.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #8
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

I prefer KBX pl. Harvest was a decent amount and size was pretty decent as well, but the size and health of the plant was outstanding. Every one who saw my garden would be drawn to my KBX plants. Either one is a winner in my book, but I had better luck with KBX.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #9
creister
Tomatovillian™

Salt,

You can grow either here in Texas. The key for max performance is to plant large transplants out early, expect to cover for frost, and most times you will get good results. I have grown KBX, and I really like the taste. My seedlings of it for this year died, but will grow again.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #10
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I love Kelloggs Tomatoes. It is my favorite. I plant more Kelloggs plants tomatoes than any others.

I have done RL and PL; RL plants seem to do much better for me.

But what I have found interesting, is that some plants produce a lot and others are stingy. I grow them mainly in EarthBoxes.

This spring all my kelloggs tomatoes were huge and I finally got fruits from KBX. I could not tell difference in taste between the RL/PL but the PL fruits even had less seeds.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #11
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Kellogg's Breakfast ( RL) grew well for me in 2014/2015 but I prefer a bi color when it comes to yellow varieties. I much preferred Royal Hillbilly or Big Rainbow with that "streak" of red. Virginia Sweets is another great bicolor tomato.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #12
travis
Tomatovillian™

As the question is whether KBX and Kellogg's Breakfast are "the same" except for leaf shape, let me ask this: Does Kellogg's Breakfast have clear epidermis or yellow epidermis?

The KBX that I grow has had clear epidermis from the first year I got the seed.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #13
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

I have KB and KBX growing this year, because I could not decide between the two. I'm curious which variety will do better for me...
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #14
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I grew KB last year and it did ok, nothing fabulous although it started out looking very promising. Even the seedlings were not particularly robust and the year before that, nothing germinated. This year after doing much googling, I ordered KBX. Haven't planted out yet because our weather has been so iffy, but hopefully this week. The plants are very robust, so I am really excited about growing it and seeing how it performed. As to Azoychka, that was a bust for me, but everyone's situation is different, so who knows. Still love AGG, but it's a poor performer for me.
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #15
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately I cannot grow anymore PL plants. It's a shame because some varieties
I wanted to try only come PL. I use to be able to grow them, but last 3 years all of
them got grey mold. I think it is the oddest thing that only my PL plants get it and
not the RL. I can still grow KB though.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote