Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2012   #16
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
It's a mind-boggling sight and a great site to visit! I toured one of the local transfer stations with a class several years ago. The main dumping area was a huge pit, viewed from a walkway far above it. A constant stream of garbage trucks lumbered in and out, with 6 or 8 trucks on each side dumping at once. In the pit, an earth mover in constant motion moved, smoothed out, and compacted the piles. We were told the stream of garbage trucks was constant all day, from when it opened iirc at 6am until midafternoon.

This transfer station had a separate area for recyclables, yard waste, and construction waste, yet some of the garbage trunks were dumping loads of yard waste and construction materials.

Since the transfer station was located in an urban area (Oakland), the compacted garbage in the pit was transferred to other trucks, which drove it to the dump, miles away.
When I was much younger, I spent a lot of time at garbage dumps scavenging lumber to build things with. I never could believe the quantity of high quality lumber contractors tossed when they completed a job. I don't think you can do that anymore because most dumps have recycling programs.

Ted
Old June 28, 2012   #17
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately the fire houses, even in our small town have to stay locked up. There is so much theft these days that most fire dept's just don't have the finances to replace the items stolen from them. Our local Volunteer Fire Dept has no support except by donations and a very small amount that comes from everyone's waterbill each month. They are paid out once per year and they have to share that with four volunteer stations in the area.

Our local station had three generators stolen right off their trucks in the lot. Those generators are used for jaws of life and running equipment in the field.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It is wide open in town here most of the time someone is there even though it is volunteer.

Bastrop has a low crime rate and friendy police.

Most of the people are friendly and help each other out.

A really nice place to live.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012   #19
tedln

Worth,

Is Bastrop State Park coming back to life after last years wildfires?

Ted
Old June 30, 2012   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Worth,

Is Bastrop State Park coming back to life after last years wildfires?

Ted
It just reopend but I haven't been there. The place still looks pretty charred.

Worth
Old July 1, 2012   #21
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I too live in a friendly town where most folks help each other out and the police are helpful. I had a bike stolen once here and it was returned to me through the combined kindness and helpfulness of the bike repair shop owner, his teenaged employee, and a police constable. One of the most heart-warming things ever to happen to me.

But it only takes one jerk to steal something, unfortunately, and heart-warming returns don't always happen. We had a ladder stolen from the backyard while we were buidling the workshop (of course, of the four ladders back there, they took the one that was on loan from my brother, argh). The movie theatre, where I volunteer, had someone break in and take the $1,000 or so of revenue in the cash box after a long weekend.

So if a fire station is sometimes empty I can understand why they'd lock up, much as it's a shame.

On the other hand, it's professional forces that they would need tomato donations most, I'd think, because someone IS there all the time so they have meals there....

Z
zabby17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2012   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabby17 View Post
Worth, I too live in a friendly town where most folks help each other out and the police are helpful. I had a bike stolen once here and it was returned to me through the combined kindness and helpfulness of the bike repair shop owner, his teenaged employee, and a police constable. One of the most heart-warming things ever to happen to me.

But it only takes one jerk to steal something, unfortunately, and heart-warming returns don't always happen. We had a ladder stolen from the backyard while we were buidling the workshop (of course, of the four ladders back there, they took the one that was on loan from my brother, argh). The movie theatre, where I volunteer, had someone break in and take the $1,000 or so of revenue in the cash box after a long weekend.

So if a fire station is sometimes empty I can understand why they'd lock up, much as it's a shame.

On the other hand, it's professional forces that they would need tomato donations most, I'd think, because someone IS there all the time so they have meals there....

Z
We have our share of crime here but it isn't big city.
!
Worth
Old July 2, 2012   #23
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
It just reopend but I haven't been there. The place still looks pretty charred.

Worth
They had a segment on "The Daytripper" television show recently visiting the park. The shows host asked the park ranger how long it will take for the trees to regain the growth the park had prior to the fire. The ranger said it will be at least one hundred years before the park regains the huge trees it had. It will hopefully return to it's former condition in time for your great grandchildren to enjoy.

Ted
Old July 2, 2012   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
They had a segment on "The Daytripper" television show recently visiting the park. The shows host asked the park ranger how long it will take for the trees to regain the growth the park had prior to the fire. The ranger said it will be at least one hundred years before the park regains the huge trees it had. It will hopefully return to it's former condition in time for your great grandchildren to enjoy.

Ted
I don't have kids so none will be around to see.

The lost pines are a mystery as to why they are there to begin with.
I just wish peole would realize that the under brush has to go away so this doesn't happen.

Who knows what it will look like in 100 years, it may be an agave forest.

I haven't gotten out and looked around but from the road I see no pine seedlings yet.

Hate to be negative but it may just turn into a weed patch.

Worth
Old July 2, 2012   #25
tedln

Worth,

Any idea how much of "The Lost Pines" Loblolly growth was destroyed. The total growth was only about 6000 acres. Fire is usually beneficial to new growth, but may take a couple of years for new seedlings to germinate. Since the Bastrop growth was isolated from other pine varieties, the seed was pure and has been harvested for many years. The forest service will probably plant seedlings later this year. I know they are felling the dead trees and chipping them for mulch to assist newly germinated and planted seedlings. We lived in the middle of the Angelina national forest for many years and the timber companies would often clear cut large tracts of land. They would replant seedlings within a couple of years to take advantage of the minerals and nutrients released by decomposing underbrush. The seedlings were planted about six inches tall and would be ten feet tall within three years. It was important to get them planted early enough for the growing pine trees to shade out the low undergrowth. If they didn't plant them fast enough the new undergrowth would shade out the seedlings.

Ted
Old July 2, 2012   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I don't know how many acres were lost some places it was total burn out and others it left big old mama trees.

My side of the highway where I live was spared completely.

I think I'll get on my motorcycle and take the complete tour and assess the damage.

I have been waiting for things to cool off a little to show some respect for the people that lost homes.

Worth