Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 21, 2018   #16
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Mine will eat tomatoes, or any other food, until she explodes. Too many tomatoes gives her diarrhea.
The diarrhea is usually just because it is too much of a particular food they are not used too. Critters of all types can be funny about abrupt changes in diet.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2018   #17
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Hehehe. I thought my dog was a little off in the head! Glad to know he's not alone.

Last fall, I also learned he loves tomato peels when I sauce the tomatoes.

Jeff
Don't talk to me about 'off in the head' until your dog keeps a toad alive in his mouth for several days without eating or anything else ... just wants to be the friendly host ... I eventually get it away from him unharmed, but it requires strategic planning. A good whooping to drop it never worked and gave up on that many years ago, even tried shock collar, so he spends a good majority of his Summer nights out on the porch when he get lucky out in the yard (no toads or snakes allowed in the house - gotta draw the line somewhere).
Old February 22, 2018   #18
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Just because I know the heritage behind it, Girl Girl's Weird Thing comes to mind.. Would be nice to hear about another pooch chowing down on that variety.
Old February 22, 2018   #19
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

My 13 year old Golden Retriever loves yellow cherry tomatoes. I grow Gold Nugget because it only gets about 4 to 5 feet tall so there are plenty he can pick. He never picks a green one but waits until they turn yellow. He doesn't eat any of my other tomatoes. The 1 year old Decker Terrier likes to copy everything the old guy does but cannot bring herself to eat a tomato. She tries every time he does but just ends up pushing it around with her nose.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #20
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My golden retriever pup's favorite was SunGold cherry tomatoes.
Another vote here for Sungold. I grow all my cherries in a row, and Abbey will not be fobbed off with another cherry. She will go and sit beside the Sungold plant and stare at me. I pick a few and toss them for her to catch in mid-air. It has become a routine every time I go near the veggie garden - sigh.

I have learnt that tomatoes are diuretic. If Chloe gets too many (when she sneaks into the garden and helps herself) she pees and pees and pees. Chloe (being a true Labrador) is not particular about tomato varieties. Everything is acceptable to her .

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; February 22, 2018 at 09:28 AM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2018   #21
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Here's what immediately comes to mind:

Pale Perfect Purple
Lucinda
Spike
Iditarod Red Dwarf
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #22
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
Here's what immediately comes to mind:

Pale Perfect Purple
Lucinda
Spike
Iditarod Red Dwarf
Hmmm, Iditarod is an interesting one.
Old February 23, 2018   #23
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Eva purple ball is a great tasting tomato. The size is in the name. And it falls off the vine as you just touch it, perfect for the dog to pick it.

Plus, this one is great to grow using sprawling method.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; February 23, 2018 at 07:50 PM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #24
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Don't talk to me about 'off in the head' until your dog keeps a toad alive in his mouth for several days without eating or anything else ... just wants to be the friendly host ... I eventually get it away from him unharmed, but it requires strategic planning. A good whooping to drop it never worked and gave up on that many years ago, even tried shock collar, so he spends a good majority of his Summer nights out on the porch when he get lucky out in the yard (no toads or snakes allowed in the house - gotta draw the line somewhere).
Your hound definitely wins the "off in the head" gold medal!!! Especially since he/she doesn't even eat. Too funny.

When I was young and had hair, I collected frogs and toads for universities to study. The mark of a true field biologist was one who was willing to temporarily store captured frogs in his mouth when his hands were full.

It was temporary and never stopped us from eating . . . or drinking . . . a lot.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #25
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Your The mark of a true field biologist was one who was willing to temporarily store captured frogs in his mouth when his hands were full.
Yikes! I could never just because they tend to urinate when frightened!
Old February 23, 2018   #26
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Yikes! I could never just because they tend to urinate when frightened!
Well, I didn't stay in that profession long . . . but urine probably improved the taste!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #27
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well, I didn't stay in that profession long . . . but urine probably improved the taste!
Old February 24, 2018   #28
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

We used to have an awesome rabbit in our garden when I still lived at my parents.
It was the first time we had tomatoes in the garden. It was/were micro(s) or tumbling plant(s). They were extremely sweet. I still wish I saved some seeds or know the variety. On the other hand, maybe the variety wasn't anything special but the taste or real ripe tomatoes compared to the store-bought ones.
Our rabbit was crazy about them. End of summer and there were almost no cherry tomatoes left , so we bought them. Gave one to the rabbit and, as if she already smelled it was nowhere as sweet, she didn't eat it. Tried a couple of times, and no, total refuse. A lonely left tomato of our plant was again eaten in no time, but not the others. That rabbit appreciated the taste of homegrown tomatoes.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had an orange tabby cat that liked anything orange or yellow.
He even ate corn on the cob.

Also had a dog that carried a live hedgehog around in her mouth up and down the street.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote