Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 2, 2006   #16
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

I was born and raised in Indiana,if you can call 17 raised. Always had a garden which was my responsibility. After 47 years in/with the Army I retired to Washington State. 30+ years of my 2 military careers were spent overseas. During my military careers I often thought of the tomatos I grew and devoured in my youth. Now that I'm retired I try to grow 12+different Tomatos in large pots each year. I'm a rank amature compared to others on this board when it comes to Tomatos but looking on the bright side it means I have more folks to learn from

jwr
Old February 6, 2006   #17
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

Another hearty thanks to Mishka for setting up this amazing forum.

Why tomatoes you ask? While I didn't have gardening grandparents like some others have posted, my mom and dad tried to have a small veggie garden everywhere we lived. Even when I was living in apartments, I had a plant or two on the balcony. My best effort during that time was while stationed in Italy, the soft sea breezes from the Tyrrenean sea, accompanied by wonderful morning light from sunrise over Vesuvius made those fruits mighty tasty. After arriving back in the US, and relandscaping the backyard of our first "single family" home to accomodate 3 raised beds, I wrote the word "tomato" into an AOL search site in 1995. That search lead me to the AOL tomato forum of which our dear Carolyn is an influential member. She introduced me to the wide world of heirlooms and all that goes with. We jokingly referred to her gracious sharing of her vast knowledge as a non-traditional on-line college course of study- "Tomato 101" "Pests and Diseases 102" "Seedsaving 205" etc....
Several moves later (thanks to the US Navy), and one upcoming, I now grow between 35 and 60 varieties each season, usually focusing on one attribute or another for comparison. (Last year it was dwarf plants and bi-colors).
My penchant for over-sowing (just in case) and then never throwing away a healthy looking seedling has lead to my selling the seedlings to a local nursery, directly to a couple of market growers, and at several plant sales and to forum friends. I also give many to a rehabilitation organization for their garden therapy area.

Now that we are moving once again, one of our top criteria for the new home is it must have a large enough yard, with enough sun to support at least 100 plants in the ground, AND a baseball batting cage, basketball hoop , football goals, soccer goals (you get the idea).

I still haven't answered the question Why tomatoes? But I guess it is because of all the variety they offer and the friendships they have brought.
Old February 6, 2006   #18
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i got my start from my great uncle steve. he immigrated from sicily. seems like all the italians from his generation had gardens. i used to like walking around in his garden, turning corners, to see what he had growing. he had a pretty big garden. we used to play pinochle till 2 or 3 in the morning, take a break around midnight when my aunt would lay out a spread. we had fun. i'm still growing tomatos, and pole beans i got from him.

keith in calumet
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2006   #19
lumierefrere
Tomatovillian™

My father loved beefsteak tomatoes and every summer planted those in the garden. I paid no attention. I have no idea exactly what he grew. After I was married (long time gone) I had a garden because it was the normal thing to do and planted whatever Burpee thing or Park's thing or whatever was in the local nursery.

Like Jeanne I found Shepherd's Seeds, switched to Carmello quite a few years ago and was totally satisfied. Five years ago I moved here to zone 4 and the growing of tomatoes was more of a challenge than in CT. I got on the internet to learn more, enjoy any success. Someone gave me a Black Krim and that started it--both my interest in heirlooms and my reliance on Eastern European types which really love it here more than the ol' Jetstars.

There's nothing bad about tomatoes. Everything attendant with the growing of tomatoes is a distraction from and a panacea for TRW. Unlike other hobbies like collecting stamps, you can eat what you've been slaving over. It must be like hats used to be for women. If you needed a pick-me-up women used to go out and buy a hat. If I need a pick-me-up, I feel the urge to splurge on a pack of seeds. Isn't it true if you "score" those seeds you've been really panting over (some of those Berkeley Tie Dye maybe), you get a rush? There's something life-affirming about seeing seedlings springing out of the soil so promising so filled with potential. There's something comforting about having a freezer full of tomatoes in the middle of winter.

It's all good.
lumierefrere is offline   Reply With Quote