Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 9, 2013   #1
2nd Foundation
Tomatovillian™

Default Suggestions of Crack/Split-Resistant, w/High Yield & Full Flavor?

Hi all! I’d love to hear your suggestions for indeterminate varieties that are crack- & split-resistant, and are also very high-yielding, with ‘full flavor’ (some would say ‘intense’ or ‘old fashioned’ flavor). I’m mostly looking for beefsteaks and cherries, but am open to any size, shape or color. Thanks in advance for as many varieties that you can think of! Need all the help I can get on this one!
~Caroline
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
2nd Foundation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

An Isaac Asimov fan? or a makeup artist?

Druzba
Box Car Willie
Kelloggs Breakfast
J.D.'s Special C-Tex
Green Giant

Sungold
Camp Joy
Black Cherry
Galinas

DarJones

Last edited by Fusion_power; March 9, 2013 at 01:50 AM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #3
2nd Foundation
Tomatovillian™

Haha, yes! Another Asimov fan!

I have grown Black Cherry and Sungold for several years. Both always get a place in my garden because of excellent taste and heavy production.

Druzba I've tried with no luck.
Galinas is on my want list.
Box Car Willie and Kelloggs Breakfast are among the many I'm considering. I do have a mystery tomato from last year that is likely Kelloggs.. or possibly Dr. Wyche's Yellow....very productive either way...I just wish the taste was more assertive/intense.
I will definitely consider Camp Joy and Green Giant.

Thanks for the suggestions DarJones!

Caroline
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old March 9, 2013   #4
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Default There are never enough Asimov fans

I got hooked as a child in the mid 50's and remain hooked to this day. My favorite is probably "The Gods Themselves."

German Head and German Johnson are two favorites of mine that you might like.
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Terhune, Franks Large Red, Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red, Druzba, Dr.Wyches Yellow, Lumpy Red and Neves Azorean Red. Indian Stripe, Gary O' Sena and JD's Special C Tex don't split much for black tomatoes.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #6
swamper
Tomatovillian™

druzba (red)
black mystery (purple)
little lucky (bicolor)
yellow brandywine (orange)
sweet hearts (cherry)

Last edited by swamper; March 9, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Seek-No-Futher Love Apple...full tangy flavor. It was the only beefsteak that didn't crack, in my garden in 2012. Several storms of 3 to 6 inches of rain caused the most severe cracking in all my years of gardening.

Production, for me, has always been average, never low, never high. I had one report from one gardener it was the highest producing in his garden in 2012. PM me if you'd like some seed.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Caroline, to find varieties that are crack/split tolerant, very produvtive and great tasting, wrapped up in a single variety I think is close to Science Fiction, and yes I'm a Sci Fan as well.

All any one can do is to say, for the most part, which varieties did well in a given season.

But growing the exact same variety for several years usually gives different results, since no two seasons are the same as to weather, etc.

In addition, it depends on how someone grows their plants, what amendents are used, if so how much and when, and on and on.

So for all of the above reasons I'm not going to list ANY varieties.

Carolyn, who has almot all of the Asimov books, same for Frederick Pohl , same for Greg Bear, Ben Bova and so many more, and let us NOT talk of fantasy Fiction which I dive into from time to time to escape the trials and tribulations that can and do occur. I know I've forgotten some of my faves, but I'm here in the back room where my computer is as are I think most of my brain cells and the books are out in the living room. Finally, there's a long standing thread in the 2 cents off topic Forum about which books folks are reading and I haven't updated that for myself in about two years now.
Old March 10, 2013   #9
2nd Foundation
Tomatovillian™

Ken4230,

I completely agree - The Gods Themselves is one of Asimov’s finest – the alien section is so imaginative and unlike any of his other work...wish he would have done more like it! My other favorites are The End of Eternity, Second Foundation of course, and Foundation & Empire. Also, Foundations Edge.

German Head is a great suggestion…I’ve been wanting to try it. German Johnson is unfortunately too mild for me....I say this after years of hoping the next German Johnson will be better, haha....but I’ve tried so many from so many growers at different NC farmer’s markets. (German Johnson and Cherokee Purple are always the two most prevalent heirlooms you’ll find at North Carolina farmer’s markets, and alot of times the only two.)

Thanks again,
Caroline
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old March 10, 2013   #10
2nd Foundation
Tomatovillian™

B54red,

These are great suggestions! You have confirmed several that are on my wish list. I appreciate it.

For Terhune, do you know of a source?

Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red, Indian Stripe, Gary O' Sena, and JD's Special C Tex...I would definitely like to try all of these.

I’ve tried Druzba in the past…disease is a problem on this one before I can get a ripe tomato...then the few that ripen unfortunately crack and rot. I don’t think I’ll grow again this year.

Many thanks,
Caroline
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old March 10, 2013   #11
2nd Foundation
Tomatovillian™

Swamper,
Thanks for listing these! I’m going to take a look at Black Mystery and Sweet Hearts ...They sound delicious!
Caroline
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old March 10, 2013   #12
2nd Foundation
Tomatovillian™

Gary,
Sounds like a sure winner! Will do PM tomorrow hopefully. Thanks a bunch!
I sympathize with you….Summer here over last several years has consisted of drought conditions followed by heavy rains. I just don’t have the money to keep losing all of my tomatoes to cracking and splitting. Such a waste and so sad.
Thanks again,
Caroline
~Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old March 10, 2013   #13
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

It always amazed me to find out what inspired Asimov to write a book. Someone made a speech at a sci-fi convention and happened to mention an isotope of uranium. The best I recall, it was Uranium 186 which of course is impossible, it should have been Uranium 235 or 238. Since the speaker had goofed so badly on a basic physics question, Asimov decided to write a book about a universe where Uranium 186 could exist. The result was The God's Themselves.

I continue to be amazed at the richness and depth of his writing 21 years after his death. His works have been published in nine out of ten major categories of the Dewey Decimal System. He wrote fiction, fact, science fiction, love stories, short stories, long stories, very long stories, male protagonists, female protagonists, and robot protagonists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov

On another note, I would include Lynnwood as a very good flavored tomato worth growing for production and flavor.

Last edited by Fusion_power; March 10, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013   #14
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If you are looking for Terhune seed Tatianna http://tatianastomatobase.com/seed-catalog/html/or Carol Knapp http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms....eeds-2011.html both have it and both are members here.

I loved The God's themselves. It's amazing how many different genres Asimov wrote in. Besides some of the one mentioned I alway thought that Arthur C. Clarke was one of the best to ever write science fiction. Child Hoods End was great and I've got to dig them out and reread Rendezvous with Rama and the rest of the series. The octospiders might just be one of my all time favorite alien species.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2013   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
If you are looking for Terhune seed Tatianna http://tatianastomatobase.com/seed-catalog/html/or Carol Knapp http://knapps-fresh-vegies.netfirms....eeds-2011.html both have it and both are members here.

I loved The God's themselves. It's amazing how many different genres Asimov wrote in. Besides some of the one mentioned I alway thought that Arthur C. Clarke was one of the best to ever write science fiction. Child Hoods End was great and I've got to dig them out and reread Rendezvous with Rama and the rest of the series. The octospiders might just be one of my all time favorite alien species.
OK, OK, I have these three huge volumes of Asimov's sitting on a bookshelf for a very long time. I bought them for a song at the outstanding used bookstore where I used to live near Albany. I'll pull out the Foundation one, which I know is there and take a look.

And in a post above I forgot to mention Larry Niven and the Ringworld series, and more and also Silverberg.

If any of you come to visit you'd be astounded to see the books around here. I have this obsession, see, that's worse than my addiction to dark chocolate and cashews.

I buy a LOT of books at low price from Daedalus and E. H.Hamilton but sometimes I have to shell out $$$ for a few I really want that I can't get there.

Hilary Mantel's Bring up The Bodies is in that category. In three years she won the top prize in England for the Bodies one, Wolf Hall being the prior one.

And when I was in the backroom packing tomato seeds this Am I looked at the shelves in there and found several I also forgot to mention, I forget the author's name, but it/s Blue, Red and Green Mars, and then I spotted a Poul Anderson one I never read called I think Infinity.

So, do I watch the tennis from Indian Wells, Ca for the next two weeks, or organize the long list of new tomato varieties sent to me for this season to the now 4 folks who do seed production for me, or do I continue reading my current book which is about the Four horses of St Marks, taken from Constaninoble to Venice, then when Napolean got to Venice he had them shipped back to Paris, the shipped back to Venice where I saw them, well, I don't think I need to say more, or do I put the horses on the wait list and go for Asimov after the BNP Paribas tennis open is done.

I MUST call the owner of a used book store about an hour from me and see if he can't take a few hundeds of books out of here soI have room for more

New shipment from Daedalus coming this next week, had to have just ONE and ended up ordering 17.

I wanted to give my books to my local library but they have no room for more.

Carolyn