Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2006   #16
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

It's very interesting to hear how KB performs in different areas of the world.

I've tried KB twice here in Massachusetts and both seasons I ended up with mushy, tasteless fruits. The consistency of the flesh reminded me of a peach, but without any taste. I plan on trying it again in '07.

This enforces the theory that growing locations and weather conditions do affect the end results when growing tomatoes. I always cringe whenever I read that someone tried a variety one or two seasons and say they won't ever grow it again.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #17
melody
Tomatovillian™

I like KB alot..it's done well in my climate/soil. We generally have drier summers where I have to water, so no variety will 'water down' in taste. It's a favorite that I grow quite often, and it hasn't let me down yet.

That said, I really like Lucky Cross, Jaune Flammee, Djena Lee Golden Girl and Aunt Gertie's Gold. All of these rate in the same category as KB...I like them alot, and they get grown again and again.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #18
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I'm not so sure it is weather - we tend to underestimate how unique each of our set of tastebuds is. I've tried KB in different gardens, climates, etc - it does well, it is pretty - it is simply not "my thing" culinarily - ditto for Persimmon, Goldie, Verna Orange - and with such a large selection of varieties to try, to me there is no need to keep returning to varieties that are simply not your cup of tea!

At Tomatopalooza 2, we had an interesting situation - perfectly ripe Black from Tula and perfectly ripe Cherokee Purple next to each other. A small group of us did a sort of taste off - completely different results. One good friend found Tula better by far, I found ChP better by far, others sifted into one category or another.

So, convincing each other to love particular tomatoes doesn't work - same with coffee, wine, chocolate - our senses, how we process inputs - are all so distinct and different!
Old February 9, 2006   #19
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Kellogg's Breakfast is one of my few "every year" tomatoes, but Aunt Gerties is a close second in the yellow/gold/orange category. Either is a good choice, but our first is KB.
PaulF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #20
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I am excited about growing KB for my first time ... I've heard nothing but good things ; for the most part !!! ~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2006   #21
lightt
Tomatovillian™

I prefer the taste of Aunt Gertie's Gold but Kelloggs Breakfast has been far more productive for me and I really like it -- to the extent I'd highly recommend growing it in Northern Virginia.

I wouldn't even think of using "bland" when trying to describe the taste. As others have said YMMV!
lightt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2006   #22
veggiecanner
Tomatovillian™

I grew KB, and Amish yellow. I didn't think either was worth having. The KB had only 3-4 fruits on it.
Old February 11, 2006   #23
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default |Kellogg's Bk'fast...

tomstrees.... Your & my growing areas are very similar & I had such a great crop of Kellogg's Breakfast last year that I encourage you to at least try it. It was productive & very flavorful for me. I am growing it AGAIN this season in addition to Aunt Gertie's Gold in order to compare them in my locale.