Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 4, 2011   #46
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I havne't been following this thread so jsut a couple of comments.

I wonder why it was said above that Cornell had Visitation Valley seeds from me. They don't have a seed bank. Yes, I've grown it and didn't think well of it at all. Grew it b'c it sounded like a nice place to put a cemetery.

Lithuanian was mentioned.

Seeds to me many years ago from Don Podolia of WV, now deceased, and a huge PL plant with large pink beefsteaks and excellent taste, but for sure not a specific cool climate variety.

Did I forget anything I should be commenting about?
Lithuanian is doing okay I guess. It and Nic Pink and I.P.Beta have enormously huge individual potato leaves....some are 8 inches wide and 12 long near the bottom.
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2011   #47
dice
Tomatovillian™

Lithuanian set first fruits pretty high up on the plant, which usually
indicates a mid-late to late variety that needs higher day/night
temperatures to set than early to early-mid varieties. Fruit are still
small, so I have not tasted one yet.
Old August 4, 2011   #48
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
The page had a Cornell header, so I assumed it was their seed bank,
apparently in error. Here is the same listing at "Sol Genomics Network":
http://solgenomics.net/stock/5987/view/

I found that absolutely bizarre since I grew Visitation Valley back in the 90's, didn't think that much of it, maybe offered it in a seed offer when I was still at AOL or possibly at GW, and maybe listed it in the SSE YEarbook, but the variety didn't originate with me at all.

I do know about the Sol gene program and it is headquartered via Cornell, actually my alma mater, but while I did send quite a few varieties to David Francis at Ohio State for his use I don't remember sending VV b'c I never regrew VV and so would not have had fresh seeds.

Ah well, what is, is.
Old August 6, 2011   #49
333.okh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I found that absolutely bizarre since I grew Visitation Valley back in the 90's, didn't think that much of it, maybe offered it in a seed offer when I was still at AOL or possibly at GW, and maybe listed it in the SSE YEarbook, but the variety didn't originate with me at all.

I do know about the Sol gene program and it is headquartered via Cornell, actually my alma mater, but while I did send quite a few varieties to David Francis at Ohio State for his use I don't remember sending VV b'c I never regrew VV and so would not have had fresh seeds.

Ah well, what is, is.
So far VV has a neat story and the idea location to duplicate my growing conditions...BUT it is not working as described
333.okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2011   #50
maf
Tomatovillian™

Two larger fruited varieties that have been doing the best for me in the UK this year are Pervaya Lyubov and Tsar Kolokol.

Pervaya Lyubov has been particularly early, it seems able to set fruit in relatively cool conditions, and once the fruit is set they grow and ripen more quickly than many varieties. (Seemingly at the expense of vegatitive growth - it went from one of the tallest plants to one of the shortest in the time between fruit set and fruit ripening.) Good looking pink tomatoes with very good sweet flavour, they certainly attract comments from family who have tried them.

Pervaya 2.jpg Pervaya 3.jpg Pervaya 4.jpg
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011   #51
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Default Cool climate larger tomatoes

I have to agree with maf about the productivity, ripening and also excellent flavour of Pervaya Lyubov. My plant, however, also seems to have suffered( from apparent lack of nutrient.) The foliage seems to be too pale and it stopped setting fruit after a while. It was getting the same nutrient as my other plants. Now that I have been giving it extra feed it has improved and started setting fruit again.
This plant is outside. Other very productive, larger fruited early varieties outside are Chernomor and Berkeley Tie Dye Pink.
In the greenhouse the outstanding varieties for productivity, earliness and flavour are Maya and Sion's Airdrie Classic, Sarah Black, Purple Brandy, Kumato and Rose de Berne. The greenhouses have heating as a nightime supplement but on the more than average number of cold Spring nights the temperature often dropped below the preferred 10 deg C.
Gill
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2011   #52
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

gill, you might want to change that name Purple Brandywine to Marizol Bratka, as Joe did many years ago at my insistence, so folks don't start thinking it's really a pure Brandywine. He agreed but had already sent out seeds as Purple Brandywine and some places still list it as such.

Marizol Bratka was the result of a cross that Joe Bratka made and was a selection from that cross. Actually it's pretty good.

Almost forgot to say that the initial cross was between Brandywine and Marizol Purple.
Old August 8, 2011   #53
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
gill, you might want to change that name Purple Brandywine to Marizol Bratka, as Joe did many years ago at my insistence, so folks don't start thinking it's really a pure Brandywine. He agreed but had already sent out seeds as Purple Brandywine and some places still list it as such.

Marizol Bratka was the result of a cross that Joe Bratka made and was a selection from that cross. Actually it's pretty good.

Almost forgot to say that the initial cross was between Brandywine and Marizol Purple.
Thank you for that, Carolyn. I shall change my records. I understand that Sarah Black also goes under a number of different names. Certainly the one I have has produced a very large crop of large, very tasty tomatoes. The only 'down side' is that these and Marizol Bratka have tended to split.
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2011   #54
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gill_s View Post
Thank you for that, Carolyn. I shall change my records. I understand that Sarah Black also goes under a number of different names. Certainly the one I have has produced a very large crop of large, very tasty tomatoes. The only 'down side' is that these and Marizol Bratka have tended to split.
gil, I know only one other version of the name Sarah Black, which was what Joe named it, and that's when someone in Germany translated that to Schwarze Sarah.

Joe has bred Sarah thises and thatses in almost any color you want and attached a fictitious history to them as originating in Germany which implies the are all heirloom varieties, which they aren't.
Old August 13, 2011   #55
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I like Lime Green Salad tomato for a cool weather " winter " tomato. It's one that seems to do pretty well in lower light, cooler conditions and I love the taste. Plus, because it's a dwarf, I can grow it in a pot and bring it indoors if it threatens to freeze. I'll probably plant this and Bloody Butcher this fall as my overwintering tomatoes, here in AZ. Maybe two plants each. BB in ground, in a sheltered spot and LG in pots.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote