Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 3, 2016   #166
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

I didn't find the pdfs on the catalog request page or the home page -- there may be links to them places that I didn't see them, or links that have been added since I looked, but links to the three main catalog pdfs are at the top of these pages

Seeds, roots, books

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/...d_catalog.html

Sweet potatoes

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/...o_catalog.html

Poultry

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/...y_catalog.html

If you go to those pages and right click on the pdf file at the top of the page, then choose "save link as" you can download that pdf

The downloaded pdfs can be searched by pressing Ctrl & F then entering a significant search word (as can the pages of the online catalog sections), which is one advantage over a paper catalog, if you already know what you're looking for. Searches are usually more successful if you just enter one word from the variety name -- that way the search doesn't fail because of an extra space in the name or a spelling variation.

I typically read through their catalog when it first comes out, but then search their listings many times a year when I've heard of something I think I might want and, if I find it, I add it to my Sandhill list for use when I get ready to place an order. Sometimes I look at the list and decide I have to be a little realistic, and don't order everything on it . . . but at least that way I don't usually forget to order something that I really wanted.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2016   #167
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
I didn't find the pdfs on the catalog request page or the home page -- there may be links to them places that I didn't see them, or links that have been added since I looked, but links to the three main catalog pdfs are at the top of these pages

Seeds, roots, books

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/...d_catalog.html

Sweet potatoes

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/...o_catalog.html

Poultry

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/...y_catalog.html

If you go to those pages and right click on the pdf file at the top of the page, then choose "save link as" you can download that pdf

The downloaded pdfs can be searched by pressing Ctrl & F then entering a significant search word (as can the pages of the online catalog sections), which is one advantage over a paper catalog, if you already know what you're looking for. Searches are usually more successful if you just enter one word from the variety name -- that way the search doesn't fail because of an extra space in the name or a spelling variation.

I typically read through their catalog when it first comes out, but then search their listings many times a year when I've heard of something I think I might want and, if I find it, I add it to my Sandhill list for use when I get ready to place an order. Sometimes I look at the list and decide I have to be a little realistic, and don't order everything on it . . . but at least that way I don't usually forget to order something that I really wanted.
And you know darn well that in my above post that it WAS You I was referring to.

And thanks for the direct links, etc.

Carolyn
Old February 3, 2016   #168
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Last PM downloaded and read the info Sandhill included with their '16 catalog. Very impressed with what this couple has accomplished. One would think this is a full time endeavor but one of the owners continues to work in the educational field. To date, I have most of this years seed on order but definitely plan to order from this company next year. Very impressed and wish them all the best.
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2017   #169
klemmabyna
Tomatovillian™

3rd year: order placed jan 24. seeds received today. volunteered for substitutes, but received generous amount of every seed I ordered. plus a couple packets of samples.

I can not overstate my satisfaction with Sand Hill.

highly recommended:

https://www.sandhillpreservation.com...og/tomato.html

Tracy Williamson
Delavan, WI
klemmabyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2017   #170
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to request no substitutions and I received Vilms instead of Heidi. Is anyone familiar with Vilms?
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2017   #171
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
I forgot to request no substitutions and I received Vilms instead of Heidi. Is anyone familiar with Vilms?
Sandhill shafted me last year when I put "no substitutions" on my order. Instead of refunding my money, they sent me a credit voucher for about $3.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #172
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Sandhill shafted me last year when I put "no substitutions" on my order. Instead of refunding my money, they sent me a credit voucher for about $3.
Their policy is to issue credit vouchers. This information used to be on their website, although, in your defense, I couldn't find it just now. Perhaps that information got accidentally deleted or something when they were updating? At any rate, when I ordered, I was aware somehow that I would not receive a cash refund if I chose no substitutions but would get a credit from them.

As for my experience, I mailed my form and money order on 3/17 and received my seeds on 3/25. I was surprised, as I was fully ready to wait several weeks for my order to arrive. I had listed acceptable substitutions, but nothing needed to be substituted in my order.

So far, I've started some of the tomatoes and have gotten extremely rapid germination. Seed quantity is generous and exceeds what they promised. I got a couple packets of free seed as well.

I think that they're just very low-tech and I suspect that a lot of the complaints around the Internet about them being rude or condescending come down to not being savvy at communicating tone electronically.

They could use some help with their website, though, as it's way too easy to overlook important ordering information with the way the site flow is now.

Bottom line: I knew what I was getting into when I ordered from them, and my expectations were exceeded.

This isn't the place to order from if you need stuff on a strict schedule. But if you have the time to deal with the vagaries of a true mom-and-pop operation dependent on the whims of Mother Nature, it's a mission worth supporting.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #173
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Default Praise for the Sand Hill Preservation Center

I ordered a few packs of tomato seed from Sand Hill a couple of weeks ago. I too expected to wait a couple of weeks for my order too arrive. Wrong! They shipped within the week. I received what I asked for too. There is always plenty of seed, even enough to share. There were two free packs of tomatoes. I planted my round 2 tomatoes when I got the seed, already I have 'hooks' emerging.
I have ordered from Sand Hill for many years. They haven't disappointed me yet.
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #174
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
Hi I was curious about Vilms tomato too.
I looked it up on Tatiana's website, all I could find is that it is semi-determinate, and a red plum shaped paste tomato. I know that Heidi is a plum tomato too-as I cheated and looked it up here too.
http://tatianastomatobase.com
I bet you have been too Tatianas website before, if not the website is tomatoAWESOME!
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #175
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

A few comments.

Glenn and Linda hire local women to help pack seeds every year at high times for seed orders that come in. After all Glenn has a full time job teaching at a local school so he can't do that but when he gets home he has all the chores to do re feeding all his heirloom birdies, and then in the Fall he does all the seed saving for everything they grow at their farm.

Amy Goldman Fowler and I originally split the cost of having a web design made which was done by Dr Jeff McCormack,former owner of SESE and he does website design for many places.

Linda has a good operational control of the website and has for many years,and does change things around when necessary.

Lastly, I would not consider them to be low tech at all when I look at other family owned sites and compare.

Carolyn
Old April 22, 2017   #176
macmex
Tomatovillian™

Glenn and Linda are amazing. I've also heard that Glenn mentors a number of teens, teaching them, not only to help with the chores and tasks which must be done, but also giving them valuable skills and a passion to do what they do at Sandhill Preservation. Raising new seed savers or poultry people is so very important for the future!

George
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #177
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmex View Post
Glenn and Linda are amazing. I've also heard that Glenn mentors a number of teens, teaching them, not only to help with the chores and tasks which must be done, but also giving them valuable skills and a passion to do what they do at Sandhill Preservation. Raising new seed savers or poultry people is so very important for the future!

George
Actually he hires and pays several of his students to help set out plants and take care of them in the summer and he also goes many places,I know 4 whatever is one of them to judge those contests where various birdies are judged. And he had to pass a test in order to be approved to do that,which amuses me greatly.

Carolyn
Old January 8, 2018   #178
SuntannedSwede
Tomatovillian™

Does anybody know if the new website will include an updated seed order form? I see this year's poultry order form is ready, but I couldn't find the seed form for 2018
SuntannedSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2018   #179
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure you can use the 2017, it is on page 138 of the .pdf. Can't really send you a link, but print just page 138, 139.
Old January 9, 2018   #180
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Glenn is working on the update. I haven't spoken with him in a few days so not sure when it will be on the website.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote