Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 20, 2017   #1
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedmeal- Enough Nitrogen?

I converted the recommended nitrogen (per soil test) to a seedmeal based fert. using soybean meal and alfalfa meal. I converted and measured so that the amount of N present in the seedmeal is exactly that of what is recommended I applied.

I'm wondering, though, is there some other variable I'm looking over? Will my seedmeals be able to provide sufficient N or does it need to be supplemented with another source?
ARgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Just because N is present in a raw organic input doesn't mean that the N will be available immediately for your crop. It may take the entire season for just a percentage of that N to be available. The plant based nutrients are tied up in proteins in the meals and are released as microbes break them down over time. It's a good long term solution to increase plant available nutrients in the soil but if you need more N availability organically in the short term then supplementing regularly with a liquid Fish hydrolysate or Fish emulsion is an effective solution.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #3
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Just because N is present in a raw organic input doesn't mean that the N will be available immediately for your crop. It may take the entire season for just a percentage of that N to be available. The plant based nutrients are tied up in proteins in the meals and are released as microbes break them down over time. It's a good long term solution to increase plant available nutrients in the soil but if you need more N availability organically in the short term then supplementing regularly with a liquid Fish hydrolysate or Fish emulsion is an effective solution.
Thanks... I've got fish emulsion, I'll probably apply every 2 weeks or so?

Some people put bloodmeal in the planting hole, what do you think of that?
Old April 21, 2017   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARgardener View Post
Thanks... I've got fish emulsion, I'll probably apply every 2 weeks or so?

Some people put bloodmeal in the planting hole, what do you think of that?
Every 2 weeks is OK, even weekly is OK if you are pushing it.
Blood meal is OK too as a fairly rapid source of N. The rate of mineralization of organic N from both plant and animal sources depends on soil temperature mostly, warmer soils in summer are optimal for the microbes to multiply and do their job.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #5
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Every 2 weeks is OK, even weekly is OK if you are pushing it.
Blood meal is OK too as a fairly rapid source of N. The rate of mineralization of organic N from both plant and animal sources depends on soil temperature mostly, warmer soils in summer are optimal for the microbes to multiply and do their job.
Gotcha. I've only planted a few crops so far using my seedmeal, so I think from now on I'll add some blood meal to the planting hole and then water with fish occasionally.

Soil here is plenty warm now and is warming quicker by the day
Old April 21, 2017   #6
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I am using blood meal this year as top dressing. It is my understanding that seed meals and feather meals are more of a sustained but slow release source of N.

I am not sure that accuracy is really required with measuring. I am sure that you will be fine.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2017   #7
ARgardener
Tomatovillian™

Will probably just add a bit of low, organic all purpose to the planting holes