Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 13, 2013   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default blight resistent yellows

I have quite the list growing for red tomatoes for next season that might tolerate LB but haven't come across any yellow or orange tomatoes may might provide some resistance. I lean toward hybrids, but will consider any that might work, as I was wiped out early this year for LB.
Old December 21, 2013   #2
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

I also was wiped out with late blight early the only tomato that lasted until the frost I experienced on sept 14 was my sungold hybrid.
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2013   #3
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Carolina Gold 1996 (NC 9267) - Breeder: North Carolina State Univ., Fletcher. Vendor: Novartis. Parentage: NC 1y PVP x NC 2y PVP. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, orange fruit (tangerine gene), fresh market, tall determinate, midseason, light green shoulders, deep oblate. Resistance: verticillium wilt race 1, fusarium wilt races 1 and 2, graywall. (http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/wehner/vegcult/tomatoai.html)

Carolina Gold grew good in my garden last year. Good looking fruit and great production. I personally prefer Lemon Boy, because it has a bit more bit. Two years ago I grew Burpee's Orange Slice and it too was quite productive and was pretty good tasting.

Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2013   #4
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Cecil, Just to be clear about this, I was giving you information on blight resistant yellows that I have grown. However if you were asking me which was my favorite yellow my answer would be Limmony (or Lemmony), it has a citrusy almost lemon/lime favor that no other tomato has.
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2013   #5
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Bummer! Carolina Gold was the second plant this season to succumb to Late light for me
Old December 22, 2013   #6
NathanP
Tomatovillian™

Tom Wagner's Skykomish is a bicolor tomato (mostly yellow/orange) that has homozygous resistance to late blight. I believe it is beyond F7 point, so it should be mostly stable.

http://tatermater.★★★★★★★★★.com/thread/759/skykomish

It is not cheap, at 10 seeds per packet. Worthwhile if you are a seed saver for sure. Currently sold out but check again in late January. They usually add stock from current seed several times a year.

http://www.tomwagnerseeds.com/index.php/skykomish.html

NathanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2013   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Cecil, off hand I don 't know of ANY yellow or gold vareties with documented tolerance, no such thing as total resistance, to Late Blight.

Just b/c you had Late Blight this past summer, and you've had it before,doesn't mean you'll have it this next season.

Did you pull up the diseased plants and dispose of them in garbage bags and throw them in the trash?

Did you use a good anti-fungal, and Daconil is one of the few that CAN help help prevent not only LB but also the other common fungal foliage pathogens such as Early Blight and Septoria Leaf Spot?

Where you live there are no important soil borne systemic diseases, but you keep saying that you prefer hybrids, actually year after year, and you and I have had this discussion several times before.

The spores of LB are killed in areas where there's persistent cold weather, so don't overwinter. And for sure you live where the winters are very cold, heck, it was way below zero where both of us are just a week or so ago.

So my suggestion is to not worry that much about overwintering of LB spores, start next year with a good spray schedule with Daconil, the one with about 26% or so active ingredient, and start that spray schedule ASAP from the time you set out the plants.

Again, LB last season does NOT mean that you'll have it this next season, and I know of no yellow or gold varieties that have documented genes ,there are 3 of them, for Late Blight.

Carolyn
Old December 22, 2013   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Grow a Carolina Gold plant next year, take pollen off it before Late Blight strikes, and pollenate several blossoms on two or three different red varieties that carry late blight resistance (Mountain Merit, Iron Lady, Defiant, etc.).\

Then in a series of grow-out, select only plants that express tangerine tomatoes, and show partial or advanced resistance Late Blight. I suppose in order to do this, you'll have to plant your grow-outs in the same gardens that experience Late Blight, unless you have access to a lab that tests for tomato disease resistance.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2013   #9
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking of growing iron lady a Cornell introduction for LB resistance but I really prefer o[en pollinated.. so I am going to stick with what I like growing and hope for a LB year... last 3 years were terrible outbreaks for LB for me so hope the 4th year is a charmer..Altough its not a true yellow the last of my tomatoes to go down was Garden peach which is a yellow with a blush .. was a descent seller at the farmers market I sell at and had a very fruity flavor ,fruit are borne in clusters seemed to be of semi determinaet growth habit
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote