Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 21, 2013   #1
brianccarr
Tomatovillian™

Default Wondering Why I did This!

I built these raised beds last winter. They all have piping and wiring for drip irrigation but money has made me wait to buy the valves and controllers. I had a lot of success this summer, so I decided why not just keep on growing through the winter. I built removable greenhouse covers thinking I would be able to grow right on through the winter. I planted cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, spinach, cabbage, and lots of varieties of lettuces. My success has been varied. Carrots have done well. Only one of several broccoli plants is producing (or on its way), the cabbage seems to have stalled out at a small size; I have only one that is growing large. The lettuces are growing extremely slow if at all. Maybe I need heat or lights? I will keep experimenting, I guess that's how you learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (492.3 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by brianccarr; December 22, 2013 at 09:26 AM. Reason: To add pictures
brianccarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2013   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Most of the things you are trying should do OK there with the covering.

BUT, if the weather has been cloudy a lot, that could be why the slow growth.

Last spring here we had nearly 6 weeks with hardly a few hours of sun. Only 1 almost full day of sun in that time. So just about all the plant vendors in my area were late getting decent sized plants to market for spring sales.

With the covering be careful on sunny days too as over heating can cook some of those cool weather vegies. Be sure you have ventilation on those days.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2013   #3
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

It's been grey and rainy here. My cold weather crops did nothing for weeks, then we had a few days of sun and they shot up. Now it's back to rain.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2013   #4
brianccarr
Tomatovillian™

It has definitely been cloudy a lot. This makes good sense as to why the plants seem slow. The sides of my greenhouses roll up on both sides. I'll try keeping them up when it's not real cold to let in a little more light. Thanks for the replies.
brianccarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2013   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My suggestion is to try experimenting with the varieties of each plant that you grow. If you visit a local farmer's market and ask the vendors what varieties they plant in your area, that is a good place to start.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2013   #6
tedln

I always plant a few cold/cool weather crops in late summer or early fall. Most years, they grow slowly during the coldest weather of winter and then explode in growth with the first warming signs of spring. I believe winter growth is as dependent on length of day as available heat. Most of my crops this winter have simply been frozen down to the ground. I'm waiting to see if they will put out new growth when it starts warming. Either way, they will be harvested early or turned over into the soil when it is time to plant my tomatoes and other warm weather crops.I'm not using any type of cover on my garden.

Ted