Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old April 12, 2014   #16
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceloft View Post
Do you put a trellis in later then? I've read that peas don't like their root zone disturbed, so I put the trellis in, then plant the peas. I'm not sure how I'd get them covered with that in the way.
Yes, later I'll set up a trellis using 4' wire attached to t-posts. When sowing, I leave a 6" space marked with a small stick where the t-posts will go. When the peas are tall enough that the birds aren't interested anymore, we remove the wire tunnel and set up the trellis.

You could use pieces of lightwt. row cover to keep them off of small areas in between trellis posts, too.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #17
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Sugar Ann snap peas for the first time this year, this is so exciting, especially since snap peas are selling at my grocery store for $4 a lb! I have them started in peat pots right now, will eventually transfer them to a long, rectangular container like a bigger version of a window-box. What types of peas are you all growing?
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #18
snippits
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
I'm growing Sugar Ann snap peas for the first time this year, this is so exciting, especially since snap peas are selling at my grocery store for $4 a lb! I have them started in peat pots right now, will eventually transfer them to a long, rectangular container like a bigger version of a window-box. What types of peas are you all growing?
I wanted to grow some of the Sugar Ann because they don't have to be trellised, but I could not find any in my neck of the woods.

I am growing Melting Sugar snow peas in one row, and the other row was Super Sugar Snaps. The Super Sugar Snaps were a bust germination wise, and between the horrible germination, and the voles eating the seed I am lucky to have the row of Melting Sugar left. Going to dig up what Sugar Snaps are left, and plant Blue Lake green beans since the trellis is already there.
snippits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #19
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I think in TX peas should already be in the ground. Peas are a little tricky because they need to be grown in cool,spring weather.
I plant mine in November. They are slow for awhile but we have plenty of peas in Feb. By March the peas are getting powdery mildew and dying from heat.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #20
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Snippits: I didn't see them in stores around here either, so I ordered them from Johnny's seeds. I've been very disappointed in the seed offerings at local stores and nurseries overall, so I've found that I just order them online. I was thinking of ordering the super sugar snaps from Johnny's but decided on the Sugar Anns for the same reason you pointed out- they don't need to be trellised. They also don't grow very tall, and I'm going the container route this year so the small size was just what I needed. I look forward to reading your updates on the supersugar snaps and the melting sugar snow peas.

Tracydr- Yes I think I may have started the peas a little late, but I started them 3 weeks ago and they have happy little leaves- I just need to move them from the peat pots into the planter. I will probably do that next weekend. Next year I will be starting them a bit earlier.
Old April 13, 2014   #21
snippits
Tomatovillian™

I caught three voles yesterday during the light of day, and I did not catch any during the night. Moved my Ortho traps and clay pots to some different holes, and going to bait those with some apple. Caught the three with peanut butter baited traps.

Neighbor down the street stopped by, and asked me what I was doing with the upside down clay pots sitting around the garden, and I told them that I was trapping voles. They said they were not going to try and plant again this year because something was eating all the seeds they planted, and that there were holes all over the ground in and around their garden area.

I showed them all the broom stick size holes around my garden, and the technique I was using to trap them, and where to get the Ortho traps the cheapest which is Home Depot. They thanked me numerous times, and said they might have a garden after all this year.

I garden to can and freeze various vegetables to supplement my income, but voles were putting a big dent in my plans.
Old April 13, 2014   #22
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

When I lived in Manhattan I had a mouse problem (consequence of old building with dirty neighbors) and what always worked for me was a kernel of popped popcorn dipped in peanut butter placed in a sticky trap. It rarely failed to catch them, they love peanut butter.

Sorry to hear about the voles, but it sounds like they enjoy the same stuff the NYC mice liked. I hope you catch them all so your veggies can grow in peace! I'm so sorry to hear the infestation is bad enough to effect your canning. My neighborhood has a rat infestation problem, I'm not looking forward to combating that problem. I'm trying to think of ways to attract raptors to my yard that the HOA will allow (owl houses, raptor perches). With luck I'll be able to put in a few structures and have the raptors help keep the critters under control.
Old April 13, 2014   #23
ohiofem
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
mine just popped up yesterday, in the container, on the kitchen table.

last year they were killed by 24 degrees the night i planted them out, 1st time that ever happened. this year i hope to not repeat that.

tom
I planted maxigolt shelling peas a week ago after soaking for a couple days and many of them are coming up now. We've had a lovely warm week and it's likely to get to 80 today. But the forecast for lows midweek is 25. The peas are in an Earthbox. Do you think I should cover them or even consider moving them inside for the cold spell? This is my first experience with both peas and self watering containers. I really don't know how much cold they can handle.
ohiofem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #24
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

If it were me I'd bring the earthbox indoors. 25 degrees would probably kill any new pea shoots just beginning to peek out of the ground, and if it's that cold long enough the water inside your reservoir might freeze up.
Old April 13, 2014   #25
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

How tall are all of your peas now? I'm 7a in Virginia Mountains and my tall vining peas are about 6 inches and my dwarf peas are about 3 inches.

Farmers Market grower said peas would be ready in 3 weeks here. I don't think, with mine being so small, that they wil be ready in 3 weeks. I have about 400 pea plants in now.
Old April 13, 2014   #26
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm in 7b Tidewater. My peas are only about two inches tall right now. Our peas are usually ready the end of May, beginning of June.
Old April 13, 2014   #27
snippits
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofem View Post
I planted maxigolt shelling peas a week ago after soaking for a couple days and many of them are coming up now. We've had a lovely warm week and it's likely to get to 80 today. But the forecast for lows midweek is 25. The peas are in an Earthbox. Do you think I should cover them or even consider moving them inside for the cold spell? This is my first experience with both peas and self watering containers. I really don't know how much cold they can handle.
My peas were just beginning to come out of the ground around the third week of March, and they were only about inch tall or so. It got to 26 degrees one night, and the cold did not hurt them. But I don't think there was a hard frost that night either.

From what I read some where(can't remember), mid twenties or roundabout and they should be ok. I would at least cover them before dark set in because that will help retain some heat, and keep the frost off them.
Old April 6, 2015   #28
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

Here in Houston, TX, I ate my first sugar snap pea this morning, right off the vine. I planted the in the beginning of February.
Rfdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #29
hoefarmer
Tomatovillian™

Default snap peas

We just finished eating our first crop (planted in Dec). Our second crop is just starting to bloom. Sometimes things just work.

Hoefarmer
hoefarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #30
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Please tell me about the birds pecking and losing interest, and your tricks to protect your peas. I sowed Sugar Snap and a snow pea that I can't think of the name right now. They went in on March 15, the recommended date for Nebraska. Very early!

I soaked them for two days and germination was excellent. They went through the 30 80 35 temperature swing last week and are now about 4 inches. They're in a raised bed 18 inches off the ground and a sneaky vole lives in the area. This is my first pea attempt and I don't want to share!

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote