Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 18, 2014   #121
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Epsilon.
These are PineXCHP first produce of my third plant.
This pink one also has a substantial core but I found it to be quite soft. Not only edible but actually a tasty part of the tomato. I also found this salty, yet fruity with a whisper of true tomato flavor coming thru. The tomato like all other so far is meaty with seed locules much like Epsilon just described.
Considering the parentage, a fruity, salty flavor is what probably should be expected and that's what we're getting. Much better than some of the first reports of bland tasting fruit. I'm saving seeds from this one and a yellowish bicolor Pine X CHP with largely the same flavor.
The two yellow/green ones in the photo are from the same plant. They will be yellow/bicolor but they need to ripen more.
Does anyone find it odd that we're seeing different colored fruit being produced on the same plant? I may start another post asking this question. Maybe some experienced breeders will chime in.

Last edited by marc_groleau; August 18, 2014 at 07:45 PM.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #122
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default CHP X Pineapple

First one is ripe and it's a beauty - and it tastes as good as it looks. It weighed in at 21 oz. My entire garden has been very slow to ripen this year. This is the only one ripe so far from four plants of yours I set out, but it is one of the best of any I've picked so far. I'm certainly going to plant some of the F3 seed from this one next year with the hope of replicating it. I will give a more detailed report on both crosses after I get to try a few more of each.

I will certainly send you some seeds from this one. How many would you like to get back? There are still a lot of large fruits on this plant. I can save as many as you want. I've had a lot of trouble with cat-facing in general this year (I assume it is because of lots of very cool nights), but I don't believe this plant shows any cat-facing or cracking (so far).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHP X P.jpg (229.4 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg CHP X Pa.jpg (197.5 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by dfollett; September 2, 2014 at 04:59 PM.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #123
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

my first ripened ones were pretty bland, nothing to write home about, the plant grows very well though and has very nice looking fruit. i'll get pictures if i ever can
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2014   #124
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear you're pleased with this one.
I had four plants two of which produced similar fruit as you show there that were bland. But of the other two, one produced a similar one to yours that tasted nice and fruity and the other produced yellow bicolor with a nice fruity taste; very much like the true pineapple variety. I saved seeds from each of those.
How would you describe the taste? Maybe as you get some more fruit you could show us what they look like inside?
I would indeed like some seeds from yours. Maybe 25 or so? Is that too many?

Thanks again.
Old September 2, 2014   #125
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

I will pay more specific attention to the subtleties of the taste when I get more ripe ones and get photos of the inside. I have never grown Pineapple, so I can't compare it to that. I had a whole bunch I was saving seed from and only kept track on a sort of 'blah - good - better - best' scale and this was one of the few in the 'best' category. 25 is certainly not too many seeds. I can save seed from an additional fruit or two to get as many as anyone would want. If I remember correctly, the seeds were rather few given the size of the fruit - very meaty and not a lot of seeds.

When I have more information, I'll post more.
Old September 3, 2014   #126
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

i've got several more on the plant green now, they should have time to ripen. out of two i had ripen one had gotten very very pasty and was inedible raw, i think the high temps probably caused that. the other one was normal texture and had an ok taste, someone who likes milder ones would probably like it. but i like that heavy acid/salt flavor of a dark red tomato. as it cools down i should be able to get better fruits, if one of those has much better taste i'll be sure to save those seeds
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2014   #127
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Well it was a great growing season for me this year. I had over 80 plants and they almost all produced extremely well. Thanks to all those who test drove this cross and to those who have reported back as to how they did. I'm going to carry on with the yellow bi-color and the large pink line next year and see where that takes me.
I'll PM those who have seeds and see if I could get a few from them.
Thanks again.
Old September 19, 2014   #128
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I will post when mine get ripe. Started with 23 plants, down to 16 now...including two that deer ate the tops off. One of those does have tomatoes on it they didn't touch.
Old September 23, 2014   #129
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the update. What would be the approximate time for tomatoes to ripen during this season.
Old November 6, 2014   #130
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

I still owe you a final report. Sorry I have been slow. I planted two of each cross - one of each in an Earthtainer and the other in a raised bed.

CHP x Pineapple: Plant 1 - The one in the Earthtainer produced extremely well - very healthy. It was among the best producing plants I grew, producing lots of very large pink beefsteaks - somewhat prone to cracking outward from the stem - no cat-facing. The notes I made on flavor said "9/10 - Slightly fruity flavor - very good aftertaste - relatively low acid". I am going to grow this one next year - from this plant. - First 4 photos. I will send you seed from this one.

Plant 2 - It had a very good spot in a raised bed - was relatively healthy, but produced rather poorly. The only photo I have from that plant shows one along with 3 from the Pineapple x CHP plant #2. This one is the pink one in the lower right corner. I made no note of flavor for this one and didn't save seed. - Photos 5-6.

Pineapple x CHP: Plant 1 - Shared Earthtainer with plant 1 above. It was a healthy plant, but with below average production. This one was later producing than the one above - almost too late for my normal short season, although it was longer than normal this year. The fruits were med/large red beefsteaks. (I didn't pay specific attention to red-pink when I had access to them, but the photos look like these were red and the ones above were pink). The notes I made on flavor were "9/10 - very good taste - more tart - acidic". I think I have seed from this one, but likely won't grow it next year. - Photos 7-10

Plant 2: This was the plant I noted in the spring that was all twisted and curly in the stem and leaves. It continued to curl and twist all over throughout the summer. It did not produce well at all and I made no note of flavor. The one photo I have of fruits from this plant shows weird spots on all three fruits. I did not save seed from this plant. - Photos 5-6

Thanks again for the seed. I enjoyed working with them. PM me your address and I'll send seed for the first CHP x Pineapple and also for the first Pineapple x CHP if you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CHP X P1b.jpg (214.1 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg CHP X P1c.jpg (198.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg CHP X P1d.jpg (165.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg CHP X P1e.jpg (188.0 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg CHP X P2.jpg (217.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg CHP X P2a.jpg (200.4 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg P X CHP1.jpg (204.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg P X CHP1a.jpg (202.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg P X CHP1b.jpg (177.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg P X CHP1c.jpg (188.3 KB, 160 views)
Old December 13, 2014   #131
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for taking time to post such a great report.
I've been busy and haven't visited Tomatoville for a few weeks.
I'll send my address and look forward to receiving seeds.

Happy holidays to everybody!
Old May 25, 2015   #132
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Just curious,
has anyone sown any of these for 2015?

Good luck with your gardening season
Old May 25, 2015   #133
Cheryl2017
Tomatovillian™

I am. I grew the F2 for the fall garden. For me, they did not have good heat set. I finally got fruit when the temps dropped but then I had to pick them green because of early frost. Even then, they ripened beautifully and had a great wow factor.

Untitled by breisch2017, on Flickr

I saved seed and am growing the F3. Here is picture of my kookiest fruit. I have several smaller fruit also. I am really hoping for that same great taste. This was my favorite tasting fall tomato.

Untitled by breisch2017, on Flickr
Cheryl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #134
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Marc,

Though I saved seeds from the CHP/Pineapple lines, I chose not to start any this year. I didn't find any of the tomatoes produced from my plants that were 'wow' in flavor or of other interesting notes. I may start something with them in a future year, but this year already had some higher priority projects that I couldn't squeeze in any more.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_groleau View Post
Just curious,
has anyone sown any of these for 2015?

Good luck with your gardening season
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2015   #135
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

[PHP][/PHP]I intended to grow two or three. I started several F3s from the one I liked best last year. At pot-up time all but one of the seedlings showed the same corkscrew - curling effect I saw in some of the plants last year and were tossed.

Our last frost date is June 3 and bad weather has prevented me from planting anything yet. I have many more plants than space, so this year only the best looking plants will make the final cut. It is currently lost in a jungle of trays, but may survive the final cut. If it does, I'll update.