Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2022   #31
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

The more I see, the more beautiful they get. Hope they have the flavour you are looking for
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2022   #32
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
The more I see, the more beautiful they get. Hope they have the flavour you are looking for
Thank you, just good looks won’t be enough, we will see how they turn out.
I think it can be done though and I look forward to the challenge
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2022   #33
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

A small white bicolour beefsteak with antho. Long stemmed compound trusses of about 15-20 blooms.
I don’t know if other bicolour white antho tomatoes so it’s an interesting one. Very sweet and surprisingly good flavour
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23B8B396-3F76-4165-9E49-F9C424CBA957.jpg (122.9 KB, 146 views)
Old September 6, 2022   #34
clara
Tomatovillian™

Karen, you posted real beauties under #30! If these pics were mine, they would get a page in my 2022 photobook!

I admire your ability to create such works of art! And when I think of Midnight Sun, it's even a dream of taste! (Others also, but I fell in love with M.S.)
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2022   #35
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

KerenO, you should give tours of your Land and Gardens.

And Sell your Tomatoes too,!!!!!!! Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2022   #36
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you ladies!
Trying to inject some flavour using some of my own lines.
I’m pretty optimistic based on these F2 growouts that I can make some that I like the flavour of. I have several other crosses and I’ll do a couple more of the most promising F2’s next year. My
KarenO
Old September 7, 2022   #37
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

I tried your Polaris this year. It was either that or midnight Sun and I went for Polaris. It was a VERY tough year, we are in a severe drought, had multiple, long heat waves after a very humid start. I suffered from just about everything this year but my plants were nice enough to just keep hanging on, lack of leaves and appropriate water. I was blessed with some tomatoes, not as many as usual. Polaris was a treat and I look forward to trying many more. I follow you on FB as well. I guess with the blessing from post #34, I will have to add MS to my garden next year. Your pics make me salivate!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2022   #38
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutOrchids View Post
I tried your Polaris this year. It was either that or midnight Sun and I went for Polaris. It was a VERY tough year, we are in a severe drought, had multiple, long heat waves after a very humid start. I suffered from just about everything this year but my plants were nice enough to just keep hanging on, lack of leaves and appropriate water. I was blessed with some tomatoes, not as many as usual. Polaris was a treat and I look forward to trying many more. I follow you on FB as well. I guess with the blessing from post #34, I will have to add MS to my garden next year. Your pics make me salivate!
I would recommend minimal pruning outdoors with my hearts. They are wispy and the fruit benefit from what leaf cover they have. I don’t prune mine at all and Fred finds best to plant them close and not prune either in hot California.
KarenO
Old September 7, 2022   #39
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

KarenO how can I buy your Seeds. I love Buying everyone seeds over the last 25 years, Amen!

That's why I think "US Farmers" needs to Love Each Other.
How can I get your Seeds?
Old September 8, 2022   #40
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Depends what you want Joyce, artisan seeds Has a couple of my varieties. If you Google Karen olivier tomatoes you’ll find quite a few. I sell all of my own varieties through the SSE and privately
KarenO
Old September 8, 2022   #41
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I would recommend minimal pruning outdoors with my hearts. They are wispy and the fruit benefit from what leaf cover they have. I don’t prune mine at all and Fred finds best to plant them close and not prune either in hot California.
KarenO
I don't ever prune unless forced to. We had horrid conditions here this season - started out far too humid and warm and suffered from a lack of bees. Then we had heat, multiple heat waves, and then drought. We are in a severe drought and being on a well, I've cut back, slowly to not shock them as much. I never water my lawn as it's far too large and a big waste of water - I work on mowing high and growing deep roots in good soil - have never once had a dormant lawn in 22 years living here but my entire lawn went dormant - looked like the desert sand where my dad lives. Saddest looking tomatoes I have ever grown in my garden but feel blessed to have at least a small crop. At one point, I didn't have hope I'd get any.

I don't think Polaris was a fan of the humidity, and it might not have liked the heat very much but it dealt with it begrudgingly, but it didn't seem as fizzed as some with the dryness.
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2022   #42
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

My Great Grandfather was handed to the Kecoughtan Native Americans by the Cherokee Native from North and South Carolina to get his Freedom as a Contraband Slaves at Fort Monroe in the safe hands of The Late Great Major Benjamin Butler. I have the Cherokee Purple from the Cherokee Native Americans, But I have been looking for Relatives of the Kecoughtan Native that grew a Blue Tomato. After the Civil War The Contraband Slaves Celebrated by Giving a Tomato Decorative Plate to Fort Monroe Soldiers that was Red White and Blue. But your 'True North True Blue may be the best Tomato to Make the "4th of July Celebration Plate: the Contraband Slaves with the help of My Great Grandfather & Sheppard Mallory farming skills to the Soldiers of Fort Monroe after the Civil War.

Looking for these Blue Tomatoes that grows back by itself by Kecoughtan Native Americans years is Hard, Amen!! I have been keeping up with the Research the from the College of William & Mary where i do all my Legal Research. Hoping that they will find a Living relative of the Kecoughtan Native Americans to learn the Food & Farming skills they taught to my Great Grandfather.

During my Crop Rotation this year only the Indigo Rose came back in the same location. The late Dr. Carolyn 'Gray's 4th of July is Very Red, but hardly able to see the Blue Color; which I think she named after Gary Ibsen.

If you send me 50 seeds just include a price.

Last edited by MrsJustice; September 8, 2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old September 8, 2022   #43
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi Joyce, the anthocyanin Varieties shown in this thread are all experimental and unstable at this stage so they aren’t available at this time.
I do have quite a number of stable tomatoes that I have released and are already available via the SSE, and other avenues and I will be releasing some new beefsteaks and a couple of new dwarfs this winter as well.
I dont know Caroline’s mind but I never got the impression she was much of a fan of Gary or tomatofest overall but I could be wrong
I do know Carolyn never named any anthocyanin tomato after anyone as far as I know and overall wasn’t much of a fan of them in general.
In any case, I am just posting my blue project tomatoes here for fun and information as well as a record if the progress of the project as I did for the others. I will definitely post somewhere down the road when I may have some seeds from this project to offer.
As always, more details are available on my @NortherGardenerCanada Facebook page and on Instagram for those interested in my breeding work or general gardening information and photos.
I try to post daily to both.

KarenO
Old September 8, 2022   #44
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I found you on facebook.
Old October 9, 2022   #45
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Welcome Joyce!
I’m not hard to find
@NorhernGardenerCanada on Facebook and Instagram
If others are interested!

Happy thanksgiving from Canada to everyone here. I am very grateful for a bountiful summer, and I have SIX New introductions this year including Chinook, Cowboy and One Trick Pony along with the first three small dwarfs in the wizard of Oz series. Message me on NG if interested in seeds. The dwarfs are shown n my short and sweet thread. Emerald City, Yellow Brick Road and Ruby Slippers.
The blue project was very interesting and I’m looking forward to what comes of it as we go along. Lovely to still have a lot of ripening fruit here in October thanks to a warm fall so far. We will love it while it lasts.
Adventures and tomato travels in the future…

Have a wonderful weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 677F46E4-F60D-4C57-ACA5-EBA5212BB9BA.jpg (223.9 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by KarenO; October 9, 2022 at 05:23 PM.