Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 8, 2018   #16
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Nothing ready yet but the plant does have some small sized tomatoes with strong striping on it. The Chocolate Stripes I am growing is much darker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2842.jpg (295.1 KB, 181 views)
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2018   #17
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgardengirl View Post
Nothing ready yet but the plant does have some small sized tomatoes with strong striping on it. The Chocolate Stripes I am growing is much darker.
Looks like mine did and that's a beautiful healthy loaded plant. Thank you for the photo.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2018   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Similar style trusses on mine. Nice plant
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2018   #19
kath
Tomatovillian™

The plant that I grew out looks like the above in terms of habit, production, leaf size/shape/color, and the fruits look like yours, Marsha. Photos taken with an inexpensive phone are much more orange than real life...they definitely have a pinkish purple tone to them. The smallest fruit was the ripest, and had the darkest color. All of the fruits have showed the scarring on the stripes and radial cracks are common, too. The taste is sweet enough for me if I let them get very ripe and my neighbor is a big fan of this one and is requesting a plant next year. Skin has been a bit too noticeable for me, maybe because of the scarring.

I've saved seeds but would like to try again and see if I could get the stripes w/out the scarring.

Thanks, Marsha, for spreading your seeds all around!

kath
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MochaSplash.jpg (50.8 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg cut:out.jpg (51.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg cut:in.jpg (74.0 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by kath; August 9, 2018 at 02:23 PM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2018   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
The plant that I grew out looks like the above in terms of habit, production, leaf size/shape/color, and the fruits look like yours, Marsha. Photos take with an inexpensive phone are much more orange than real life...they definitely have a pinkish purple tone to them. The smallest fruit was the ripest, and had the darkest color. All of the fruits have showed the scarring on the stripes and radial cracks are common, too. The taste is sweet enough for me if I let them get very ripe and my neighbor is a big fan of this one and is requesting a plant next year. Skin has been a bit too noticeable for me, maybe because of the scarring.

I've saved seeds but would like to try again and see if I could get the stripes w/out the scarring.

Thanks, Marsha, for spreading your seeds all around!

kath
Thank you Kath for this post. I see I had a bit of scarring on mine, but it wasn't memorable (literally, lol) so I don't think it amounted to much. Yours look good enough to eat! (BTW- true leaves starting to form on our test seedlings of that other variety.) And thank you also for spreading your seeds around too.
Old August 28, 2018   #21
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

I took this picture at the Farmers Market on Saturday, a small GGWT and a Mocha Splash. I thought the colors would be more similar, but instead of the clear red and green of GGWT, it's more pink and coppery green
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180825_120224.jpg (504.9 KB, 127 views)
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018   #22
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.kelpie View Post
I took this picture at the Farmers Market on Saturday, a small GGWT and a Mocha Splash. I thought the colors would be more similar, but instead of the clear red and green of GGWT, it's more pink and coppery green
Please, which is which? My guess is the Mocha Splash is on the left?
Old August 28, 2018   #23
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

GGWT on the left, Mocha Splash on the right
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018   #24
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

We have picked 9 pounds of MS already and there is still time to set more.
The picture is not reflecting the true color. It is actually pinkish. The taste is sweet.

Thank you, Marsha.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 8.35.20 AM.png (408.7 KB, 117 views)

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2018   #25
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
We have picked 9 pounds of MS already and there is still time to set more.
The picture is not reflecting the true color. It is actually pinkish. The taste is sweet.

Thank you, Marsha.
These are beautiful and look very much like my segregates. It sounds like your production and taste are very much the same as mine too.
Old August 29, 2018   #26
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™

I grew one plant of Mocha Splash. It set fruit pretty early and the first 4-5 that ripened were fantastic in flavor (sweet) and good sized. I didn't keep written records because of our pending move. Then, we moved a little further south, and the remaining fruit that developed & ripened was smaller and had that scarring that several others have described. Some scarring was quite severe (deep). Flavor was not as sweet, so I'm thinking it didn't like the heat/humidity, although it did continue to set some fruit in the heat. The plant is still going despite some disease and is still trying to produce. (Most of my plants have been pulled already.)
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote