Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 9, 2011   #16
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Wow- I love the bottom of the page with the different options for searching tomatoes - Maturity, Color, Size, Leaf Type, and Growth Type. Well done.
Old December 10, 2011   #17
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Copied from the website:

"We don’t dress up in funny costumes and we don’t get to spend our winters vacationing in Belize while someone else does our work for us."

Priceless! I can't imagine who he's referring to... wait, yes I can!
Yes, I did their spring show a couple of years (several years ago) to sell tomato transplants....When they started requiring the vendors dressing up too, I said enough is enough. I think he must get his costumes at a Branson, MO Thrift store!!!~!

www.duckcreekfarms.com
Old December 18, 2011   #18
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

OK....I love the website. It is very good and I am sure was much work to make.

Websites alone do not make a great source for seed. There are some very interesting varieties listed...always like something new and different to my garden.
I have now placed two orders. Second one is incoming and first one was shipped very quick. I will also add I asked some questions and got prompt answers.

For what its worth...moderators....I think Helix deserves a sticky!

Highly recommended.
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2011   #19
Randall
Tomatovillian™

good find, Kathy !
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2011   #20
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

I'm Steve and I am the owner of the website in question. I would like to thank everyone for all the kind words about Double Helix Farms.
The reason the website looks the way it does and functions the way it does is pretty simple. I love tomatoes and I love gardening. I have shopped on too many sites that did not allow me to easily find a tomato by type or color or leaf type etc. and then easily get back to where I started. At Double Helix Farms you can find those grouping on every single page. A lot of effort went into this feature. I'm really proud of how it looks and how it functions.

The whole layout of the website is based on my lack of self control for how many varieties I grow and being a total tomato nutt.

If anyone ever has any questions feel free to contact me.

-Steve
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2012   #21
nadine18
Tomatovillian™

Holy cow, I can't believe there is a seed supplier so close to me! What a great selection. What is the best tomato for our heat and what is your favorite? (other than Sungold, because I already know all about that one )
nadine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2012   #22
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehelix View Post
I'm Steve and I am the owner of the website in question. I would like to thank everyone for all the kind words about Double Helix Farms.
The reason the website looks the way it does and functions the way it does is pretty simple. I love tomatoes and I love gardening. I have shopped on too many sites that did not allow me to easily find a tomato by type or color or leaf type etc. and then easily get back to where I started. At Double Helix Farms you can find those grouping on every single page. A lot of effort went into this feature. I'm really proud of how it looks and how it functions.

The whole layout of the website is based on my lack of self control for how many varieties I grow and being a total tomato nutt.

If anyone ever has any questions feel free to contact me.

-Steve
Great site. Clean and professional.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2012   #23
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam View Post
Holy cow, I can't believe there is a seed supplier so close to me! What a great selection. What is the best tomato for our heat and what is your favorite? (other than Sungold, because I already know all about that one )
Define close. Are you in Conway?

Standouts in the heat last year were Liz Birt, Plum Bush, Little Bells, Nefertiti and Mikado Black. Arkansas Traveler is good every year and there were a couple of hybrids that did well too. One of those was Spitfire. And yes, of course Sungold is a trooper.

Cherokee Purple, Bradley and Sungold always seem to make my top tomato list.

I had so many new varieties last year, it is just too hard to say. Picking a favorite is sort of like picking your favorite child. I have at least one favorite in just about every color.

Do you have a particular size or color in mind?
Old January 17, 2012   #24
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiththibodeaux View Post
Great site. Clean and professional.

Thanks Keith! I am really proud of the uniqueness of the website and the varieties I am able to offer. I hope you spend some time looking through all the listings. There are a lot of tomatoes listed that will be new to most people.
Old January 19, 2012   #25
nadine18
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehelix View Post
Define close. Are you in Conway?

Standouts in the heat last year were Liz Birt, Plum Bush, Little Bells, Nefertiti and Mikado Black. Arkansas Traveler is good every year and there were a couple of hybrids that did well too. One of those was Spitfire. And yes, of course Sungold is a trooper.

Cherokee Purple, Bradley and Sungold always seem to make my top tomato list.

I had so many new varieties last year, it is just too hard to say. Picking a favorite is sort of like picking your favorite child. I have at least one favorite in just about every color.

Do you have a particular size or color in mind?
I'm in Sherwood, about 1/2 an hour away.

I like smaller tomatoes and early because I'm impatient, taste is not as important as looking pretty! lol
Last year was a mess! It was either too hot or too wet. I don't grow the larger tomatoes well, they either just don't set fruit or when they do, they crack.
I also like smaller type plants, because I grow in containers.
nadine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2012   #26
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

pam

for early and smallish you could try Bloody Butcher. It was my first to ripen along with
Moravsky Div which look identical to BB to me....Both are smallish plants and would do well in pots.

Last edited by DuckCreekFarms; January 19, 2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spell
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2012   #27
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

Well for sure Sungold is going to be hard to beat for early and small.

For early, but not small, I had one last year that came in within a few days of Sungold. I don't know how it would do in a container but it is a tomato making machine in the ground. It is called Nugget. Not to be confused with the small cherry tomato Gold Nugget. Not the same, not even close.

http://doublehelixfarms.com/nugget

The tomatoes I grow for breeding purposes I usually grow them in containers. I have grown some large varieties and many of them do quite well. I grew Mikado Black both in the ground and in a container last year and it was pretty, healthy and tasted very good.

http://doublehelixfarms.com/mikado-black-tomato

If you want pretty, check out my avitar. That is one of the prettiest I grew last year. It is Vernissage Pink.

http://doublehelixfarms.com/vernissage-pink

I usually have a lot of extra plants. Since you are so close, you might want to check back with me in March and I will give you a few tomato plants to try.

-Steve
Old January 21, 2012   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

What a surprise Steve. I was just reading at another message site where someone was asking about Sherrill and I know it well b'c I'm the one who got the seeds from I think her name is Maria Jacobs at DG and I think I SSE listed it but didn't check, and have been offering it in past seed offers here, as 2007 seeds, but ran out and didn't ask the guys to do more seed production on it.

So I was checking something at Tania's site and found that you're listing it for 2012.

Where did you get it from?

I'm always interested in where varieties I first found kinda ended up, if you know what I mean,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Sherrill

And now back to packing seeds for my seed offer here.
Old January 21, 2012   #29
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Nice site, the Nazca tomato looks and sounds very interesting. If I haven't already had so many seeds to plant already, I would check that one out for sure.
mysidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2012   #30
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

Very nice website and lightning fast delivery!

Rare varieties -

WHO can ask for more??

Amazing!

Thanks Steve!
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote