Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 8, 2017   #16
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Just bought 2 grafted plants to trial. 9.95 each with 6 dollar shipping 26 bucks out the door for 2 plants. They will be here in April and i will save plenty of op seed.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #17
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Just bought 2 grafted plants to trial. 9.95 each with 6 dollar shipping 26 bucks out the door for 2 plants. They will be here in April and i will save plenty of op seed.
My hero!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #18
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Orange and yellow have overlapping spectrum.
While orange color has some red , yellow has some green. They are very close in wave length.
The color "orange" refers to the citrus fruit by the same name. Not ALL oranges have the same color. Some are quite yellow, some have some hints of red/yellow/green blend.
And "Apricot" (as a color ) is not the same as "Orange" either.
Another thing thing is that climate ( temps, amount of light ) can influence the final color.
Attached Images
File Type: png mcgeachy-colorwheel.png (3.7 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg typical orange.jpg (28.8 KB, 138 views)

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #19
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Being colorblind and looking at pie charts is a hoot.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #20
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
My hero!
What Fred said! And I'll be standing in line for any seed distribution!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #21
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

They have finally arrived. I have to say they are in great shape for mail order plants. They should be though since im only an hour and a half or so away from where they ship from. Both look super healthy and are under the grow lights to get a bit larger before planting out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170418_175535-747x1328.jpg (212.0 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 20170418_175607-747x1328.jpg (167.2 KB, 99 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2017   #22
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with them! Keep us updated on their progress and I'll be interested on how they compare with your non-grafted plants.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #23
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone else had a Bradywine Sudduth plant produce red tomatoes? The reason I ask is I had one last year that did. Everything about the plant screamed Sudduth's except the color of some of the fruits. The size and texture of the fruits was identical to the pink or normal Sudduth growing right next to it and the plants themselves looked the same. The only difference other than the color was that the red version was slightly less flavorful but the difference was so slight it could have just been the difference in the two tomatoes. I saved some seed as the red did better later in the season in the heat than did the pink. I may grow it out and see if it is remains true.

I do not believe it was a cross from the saved seed as all the other Sudduth plants were the same pink Brandywine Sudduth's I have been growing for years. I did check the skin on the fruits and it was yellowish on the red and clear on the pinks. I think I overlooked it when starting seed this spring so I may try it next spring as it is a bit late to be starting any kind of Brandywine down here this late. Even if I could coax it into making a few fruits it would only be a very few.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote