Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 17, 2011   #16
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry, I had a seed offer up but am just about out so I closed the offer.

Last time I was at the store, they did not have any. But, they frequently do. If I get some more, I will save some more seed and would be happy to share some with you.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2011   #17
lurley
Tomatovillian™

I just picked some up at the grocery yesterday. Love em sauteed in olive oil and garlic..yum! If you don't mind waiting a week or so for me to ferment some I can spare (read not eat) a few to send to you.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2011   #18
tam91
Tomatovillian™

They are really tasty, aren't they. I wasn't sure I wanted to grow them myself, given limited space and usually growing Sungold, but now I'm wondering.

Of course, they're suppsedly a hybrid, so no idea what we'll get.
Old February 24, 2011   #19
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
Interesting. Well whatever they are (Zima), they really are pretty tasty.

I must be practically the only person who doesn't like Campari tomatoes. I did really like the Kumato though.

I wonder what varieties these are then?
Doing the process of elimination is not that hard There are only a select few breeders of tomato seeds for the greenhouse/hydroponic market. They are: Syngenta (Have Golden Sweet F1, Golden Sunshine F1), Enza Zaden (Have yellow but not orange tomatoes), De Ruiter Seeds (Have a couple of orange beefsteaks), Rijk Zwaan, Tokita Seeds, Sakata (Have Solid Gold F1), Vilmorin, and Hazera Genetics (Have Loranna).

A few phone calls to the various reps gave me a few some tantalizing hints - none of the afformentioned seed companies sell directly to the grower, even large growers like Mastronardi can't buy from Syngenta, Enza Zaden, or Hazera except for the Kumato Controlled growing program - but they were all extremely willing to give me the names of the seed companies that represent them. Being a commercial grower I already knew a lot of the seed companies. Finally, I had it narrowed down to three tomato varieties: Golden Sweet F1 by Syngenta, Loranne by Hazera Genetics, and Solid Gold F1 by Sakata, and I called a seed company in Florida that had been provided me by the rep from Hazera Genetics - I asked him a bit about it, and who has it, he told me that he has one particular large customer that buys it from Canada, but he could not disclose who it is. I asked him if it is exclusive to them, and the answer was a characteristic no.

Pricing was $209.50 for a minimum of 250 seeds. Also, I was explained that varieties bred for greenhouse use lack nematode resistance (The N in VFNT - verticillium fusarium nematode tolerant acronym), and in many cases the flowers abort with low night time temperatures translating into low yields - significant flower abortion is seen at temperatures below 60 degrees farenheit with Loranne which is particulary sensitive.
I grew 250 plants of Golden Sweet F1 last year, and I found it to be every bit as good as "Zima" and very difficult to distinguish between the two. Solid Gold was a bit more yellow than orange.

Last edited by gourmetgardener; February 24, 2011 at 01:46 AM.
gourmetgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #20
DKelly
Tomatovillian™

Default de ruiter oarnge

beoarnge...bolzano...goldita...and a new one i forget the name I have some seeds here somewhere. all from de ruiter
DKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2011   #21
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKelly View Post
beoarnge...bolzano...goldita...and a new one i forget the name I have some seeds here somewhere. all from de ruiter
Santorange and Organza.
Old February 24, 2011   #22
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting. So we're thinking it's Golden Sweet F1 or Loranne?
(sorry, I got the teensiest bit confused as to which the Florida guy was talking about)
Old February 24, 2011   #23
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Loranne F1 by Hazera Genetics. Probably would not do well outside as I've said before, as it is very succeptible to flower abortion if night temperature falls below 60 farenheit. Golden Sweet F1 by Syngenta is almost identical, but it does not suffer from this shortcoming - I've grown it outdoors without difficulty - got over 2 tons on 250 plants. Johnny's selected seeds carries it.
Old February 24, 2011   #24
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Ah, I see. Interesting - thanks so much for doing all that research!
Old August 29, 2011   #25
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Zima (Зима) means "Winter" in Russian :-)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2011   #26
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

I wonder what the connection is. The seed from Zima comes from Hazera Genetics in Israel, and tomatoes from the Zima brand are from the varieties Loranne or Solana.
Old December 7, 2011   #27
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Does the Solana variety suffer from the flower abortion as well?
Old December 7, 2011   #28
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Well it is interesting that there seem to be more hybrids that are greenhouse grown for the commercial market that are actually pretty tasty. I mean no disrespect to the growers but grocery store toms have been pretty bad in the past.
Picked up Sun Drop from Muzzi Farms in my local grocery store and they were darn good.
http://www.muccipac.ca/
It is interesting that the larger ones in the pack almost seemed like they wanted to have 4 "lobes" like a bell pepper and a flatish bottom. Good Flavor.
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2012   #29
gourmetgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite26 View Post
Well it is interesting that there seem to be more hybrids that are greenhouse grown for the commercial market that are actually pretty tasty. I mean no disrespect to the growers but grocery store toms have been pretty bad in the past.
Picked up Sun Drop from Muzzi Farms in my local grocery store and they were darn good.
http://www.muccipac.ca/
It is interesting that the larger ones in the pack almost seemed like they wanted to have 4 "lobes" like a bell pepper and a flatish bottom. Good Flavor.
Those tomatoes that you see there are Garincha tomatoes.

http://www.enzazaden.com/Products/fr...nta/index.aspx
http://www.enzazaden.com/Products/fr.../garincha.aspx

Seed is pretty expensive - on my price list it goes for $825 for 1,000 seeds, not as bad as Sunstream at $1200 per 1,000, or Campari at $1725 per 1,000 with restricted availability written beside it.

If you come across a great tasting greenhouse variety, chances are almost 100% that it was produced by one of 5 companies: Enza Zaden (Netherlands), Rijk Zwaan (Netherlands), De Ruiter (Netherlands), Hazera (Israel), Syngenta (Switzerland). Out of those companies, Enza and De Ruiter are the dominant players, Hazera does a lot of specialty products, and Syngenta has a fairly small market share - Kumato , Growdena, Bigdena, and Angelle baby plum tomato are its best known products.
Old January 29, 2012   #30
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

You are a wealth of info....thanks!
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote