Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 25, 2011   #1
jcr1709
Tomatovillian™

Default Can You Use Non-Fermented/Not Dried Seeds?

Hi,

I have lots of great heirloom seeds properly fermented and dried, but I recently had access to some fresh "Kumato" tomatoes and from the same company, a "gourmey medley". They are all quite tasty and would love to start one plant of each using the seeds. Not sure exactly what varieties they really are.

I do plan, however, to start my seedlings tomorrow and thus these seeds are still in the tomatoes. Can you have success just using them out of the tomato. I know when tomato seeds from my vegetable prep in the kitchen make their way into the compost, often they will produce unintended plants.

I'm assuming the fermentation and drying is for long term storage and preservation. Looking forward to a great tomato season here in New England......(I even have a Dr. Carolyn's Cherry Tomato Seeds!!) :-) Thanks for any advice.

Jamie
jcr1709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #2
tam91
Tomatovillian™

There's a thread about Kumato tomatoes (I have some too).

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question for sure. I think you might want to ferment them - if I remember rightly, to remove disease and germination inhibitors. But no need to dry them.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me if that's wrong.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr1709 View Post
Hi,

I have lots of great heirloom seeds properly fermented and dried, but I recently had access to some fresh "Kumato" tomatoes and from the same company, a "gourmey medley". They are all quite tasty and would love to start one plant of each using the seeds. Not sure exactly what varieties they really are.

I do plan, however, to start my seedlings tomorrow and thus these seeds are still in the tomatoes. Can you have success just using them out of the tomato. I know when tomato seeds from my vegetable prep in the kitchen make their way into the compost, often they will produce unintended plants.

I'm assuming the fermentation and drying is for long term storage and preservation. Looking forward to a great tomato season here in New England......(I even have a Dr. Carolyn's Cherry Tomato Seeds!!) :-) Thanks for any advice.

Jamie
Jamie, there's no problem in sowing the seeds directly from the fruits, I've had to do it a couple of times when sent just ripe fruits and didn't have time to process the seeds if I wanted to grow them the same season.

The gel will hang on to the seeds but just ignore that and go for it. I had almsot 100% germination both times.

And since you don't know the variety names of what are in that pack assume that they're F1 hybrids so the seed you take out would be eqivalent to F2 saved seeds, so don't be surprised with what you might get with only one plant b'c most of the commercial ones sold in stores are hybrids. So what you get with a mature plant may not resemble the fruits you used for the seeds.

it should be a fun thing to do and for sure you wouldn't share the seeds from what you grow out, for three reasons, first you don't know what they are and second, with only one plant you'll see only one expression of the F2 seeds and thirdly, if you liked what you saw with just the one plant for each of them it could take you from 4 to maybe 7 years to get that selection to an OP state.

About Kumato, good luck, I hope you like them, I don't.
Old March 25, 2011   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I too have planted directly from the tomato with the same results as Carolyn.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #5
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I'm tempted to mail you some of my Kumato's Carolyn - I truly wonder if there is a big variation in the things. Because the ones here are pretty tasty, certainly compared to other in-store tomatoes. I don't, however, like them as well as Black Krim, etc. - there they don't compare in my opinion. But for winter - I'll sure take 'em.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2011   #6
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
About Kumato, good luck, I hope you like them, I don't.
Gotta appreciate this kind of frankness.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2011   #7
jcr1709
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
I'm tempted to mail you some of my Kumato's Carolyn - I truly wonder if there is a big variation in the things. Because the ones here are pretty tasty, certainly compared to other in-store tomatoes. I don't, however, like them as well as Black Krim, etc. - there they don't compare in my opinion. But for winter - I'll sure take 'em.
Wow,

Thanks for the wise advice, indeed I will plant just a few seeds just for fun. I'm a little apprehensive about them using up my valuable space in the garden. This year I've decided to not be too dense in my plantings, with the hopes that the quality, quantity and health of the plants may be better than in years past. These tomatoes are definitely grown in a greenhouse and may not react well to nature. It will be a hard decision to confirm which seedlings will find their place in the garden.

I agree with the flavor of Black Krim. I finally had success with them last year and indeed I had a huge smile at the first taste of a great specimen.

I do know it will be great fun growing the Green Zebra and Dr. Carolyn's Cherry....yeah, a little star struck knowing both associated with those tomatoes contribute here. Thanks again! Soon, I will share my technique for making soil blocks.....I think it is pretty special and inexpensive!

Jamie
jcr1709 is offline   Reply With Quote