Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 14, 2011   #1
stooged
Tomatovillian™

Default First time grower advice

First time grower here and need advice on a few things.

What is the best way to protect my plants from severe weather? I live in north Texas( Dallas/Ft Worth area) and we get a few severe storms and occasional hail every year.

I started my seeds a week ago and have constructed a few raised beds to trnsplant to later. What should I use for soil? Any additives?

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk
stooged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to Tomatoville.

I use row cover to protect my tomato plants from both harsh winds and cold nights after they are set out. If you stretch the row cover tightly across the top, assuming there is some framework in place or a cage to do so, it will help protect from smaller sized hail. I usually leave it in place until early to mid April.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Suze - row covers to protect the plants. By "row covers" we're referring to a spun polyester material including one marketed under the brand name Agribon.

The row cover is fitted over some type of simple framework to keep it off the plants - Johnny's sells these nifty wire supports which do a nice job: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-6931-ho...pkg-of-10.aspx

If you're handy, you could easily make your own out of heavy gauge wire.

With regard to your raised beds, you'll want to heavily amend your native soil with organic matter as well as porous material to ensure good drainage. I use a mix of spaghnum peat moss, pine bark fines, perlite and a calcined clay product called Turface (TM). Some add compost to their raised planters, but unless you have a source of good aged manure or similar, I suggest adding your nutrients separately--using a balanced organic fertilizer.

There are many discussion here that will offer excellent alternatives to my methods.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooged View Post
First time grower here and need advice on a few things.

What is the best way to protect my plants from severe weather? I live in north Texas( Dallas/Ft Worth area) and we get a few severe storms and occasional hail every year.

I started my seeds a week ago and have constructed a few raised beds to trnsplant to later.
Just a question for you. You're in Dallas/Ft Worth and you just started seeds. Are these tomato seeds for a fall crop?

If you are growing tomatoes for this spring/summer, this is an excellent week to plant 6-8 week old mature tomato and pepper seedlings. Texas has many challenges for the gardener, and tomatoes and peppers are typically planted the second or third weekend in March in Dallas/Ft Worth and the Metroplex depending on overnight temperatures remaining in the low 40's or better.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your tomatoes.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #5
stooged
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Just a question for you. You're in Dallas/Ft Worth and you just started seeds. Are these tomato seeds for a fall crop?

)
First time growing anything other than grass and a few flowers. Didn't research until after I bought the seeds and started them. Hopefully they will do well, even if I have to wait till fall.

Old March 15, 2011   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Well if you find yourself at Calloway's, you might want to grab some tomato plants and give em a try. This is a good week to do so. Glad to answer any questions as are all Texans I've encountered here on TVille.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old March 15, 2011   #7
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

I also recommend buying some plants at a nursery to go in now. It is too late to start seeds for a summer crop. By the time they get to a good size, it will be so hot that they won't set much fruit.

What time do you North Texans but in your summer plants for the fall crop? Here in Austin I plan to put them in July 1st. The seeds he is starting now might be good for a fall crop but I am not sure on the timing.
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2011   #8
stooged
Tomatovillian™

Thanks I will pick up some plants tommorow.

So for future reference....start seeds in Feb.?

Old March 16, 2011   #9
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stooged View Post
Thanks I will pick up some plants tommorow.

So for future reference....start seeds in Feb.?
In the Metroplex - more like Jan 18th-21st tops. In any case, definitely before end of Jan.

What the goal is in your general area of Tx - is to have nice, well-grown 6-8 inch transplants to set out anywhere from 3/15 -3/18 (up to perhaps 3/23 last minute / conservative).

And yes, you might have to protect a time or two on those cold nights. Watch the weather forecast - I recommend Weather Underground. Texas is tough like that, unfortunately. The "general" rules of wait to plant out until a week or two after the last possible frost does not work so well here.

The problem is extended day/night temps in 90's/mid 70's tend to denature the pollen, which means low or no fruit set if one waits too late to plant. And as I am sure you know, it gets hot fast in Texas.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2011   #10
stooged
Tomatovillian™

Places like this are a big help to the novice...I kept reading plant after the last frost from multiple sources and got it confused with starting my seeds after the last frost. I will definetly be picking up a few plants tommorrow.

I have placed a few orders for seeds. (Didn't realize there were so many varieties of tomatos). What is the best time to start for a fall harvest? Or should I just save them for next year?

Old March 16, 2011   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Growing tomatoes in Texas is really a whole different ball of wax. Gulf coast states and Florida have similar issues.

Just to give you an idea, one popular tomato variety is "4th of July" and people grow them in the Northeast in the hopes of have tomatoes ready for burgers (or fresh) by that date. In Houston, my plants are toast and I've already picked them nearly clean by that date.

If you check out the Crash Course in Growing Tomatoes in Texas article at our website at http://settfest.com you might get a kick out of it. I will just say ignore the folks who say you have to grow "disease resistant" or heat-setter types.

I regret that I will be outside Texas for this year so will have to just hope for some good pictures of what you all are growing.