Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 14, 2011   #31
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've never done transplants this way but hoping for success
I've just done this method for the first time with my pepper seeds. So I'm no expert.

What I liked about it is that you can keep an eye on what's happening by just putting the plastic bag in front of a light. You'll see through the bag if you got germination.

When I saw the seed had germinated I picked it up the seeds with tweasers (spelling?) and put it on top of seedling mix in a cup. I watered the mix before. I covered the seeds lighty with mix and sprayed gently. Put my tray in a warm spot with loose glad wrap on top.

You probably knew all that

Couple of days later they were up and went under the lights.
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2011   #32
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have now tried an other form of this method. I have a piece of packing foam wrapped in a paper towel and that's floating on water in a covered plastic container. The paper wicks water and stays moist also on the top. I sowed some 2003 seeds on the floating wet paper week ago and one of the seeds sprouted in six days. I'm still waiting for the other ones to show signs of life.

Sari
Old February 16, 2011   #33
Pyrrho
Tomatovillian™

I started six varieties of peppers on Saturday using this method. For a heat source, I left them on top of my direct tv box in the a/v cabinet -- the things stays warm all day even when not in use -- I'm sure it sucks a lot of power too.

Anyway, two of my varieties (Key West Hybrid and Spanish Spice) saw 100% germination after just four days, so I guess the temperature is just about right with that setup. I also kept the ziplock bag inside a towel for insulation.

I've kept to using coffee filters instead of paper towels because I read somewhere that there is less of a problem with the roots digging into the paper. Is that right?

Another 1 1/2 weeks and the tomato seeds go in!
Pyrrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2011   #34
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrrho View Post
I've kept to using coffee filters instead of paper towels because I read somewhere that there is less of a problem with the roots digging into the paper. Is that right?
I think that's right. In my experience, the brown paper filter also makes it easier to see the seedling emerge vs. white on white paper towel.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2011   #35
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Silly little question - you do actually seal the ziploc bag shut, right?

And potting them - you wait until there's a little leaf - around how long should that be?

And then plant it with that bit sticking out, not burying the whole thing completely?

Sorry, I'm sure these are pretty basic questions. I read the thread, and I think I'm right - just wanted to make sure.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2011   #36
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have closed the bag.

The root comes first out from the seed. I plant to soil as soon as I see a tiny white root sticking out. I bury the seed lightly with the root pointing down.

Sari
Old February 17, 2011   #37
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

1) Silly little question - you do actually seal the ziploc bag shut, right?

>> It depends. I have had them germinate open and closed. What I don't do is put too much water in. How much is too much? Not floating I guess. I just give it as much as the coffee filter will hold without being squeezed dry. if they are open they will dry faster. Some say this being open exchanges oxygen into the bag. Not sure I know. I did not use this method until this year, FWIW.

2) And potting them - you wait until there's a little leaf - around how long should that be?

>> The cotyledons might or might not be out of the husk. If they are and there's a good bit of stem I bury the stem in a little drill I drag through the mix surface. Sometimes I just bury the less developed ones into the mix surface or sprinkle some mix on top, mist a bit, put under light , and let them go. I have also left the less developed ones to grow a bit more. All an experiment that may not yield meaningful results.

3) And then plant it with that bit sticking out, not burying the whole thing completely?

>> Covered above.

Sorry, I'm sure these are pretty basic questions. I read the thread, and I think I'm right - just wanted to make sure.

>> I don't pretend to have the answers, I just play with stuff until I find what works best for me. What I do agree with is that you do wind up with planted areas or pots that have more growing plants in all the places since the non-starters don't get buried there. Still have damping off and drying out to worry about but that's the same anyway unless it's hydroponics.

Haven't had time to experiment with getting the best germination or oldest seeds to all germinate by using tricks. That will come with time and experience.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2011   #38
dice
Tomatovillian™

I generally only use this method for older seeds that I have
doubts about the viability of or for seeds that I have a very
small supply of (like 5 seeds of some cross that I only got one
ripe fruit from, for example). I have never let them go until
I see a leaf. As soon as I see any root at all, I transfer them
into seed-starting mix and water them. (It seems like there
would be less chance of root damage that way.)
Old February 22, 2011   #39
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

How big a "pot" should I transplant seeds to from the paper towel?
Qweniden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #40
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure there are many answers to this.

Starter cells would be a possibility. I don't use them so I can't comment.

I generally put them into something just under 2 inches in diameter. No matter what, if you make it too small and use a starting mix you will have to watch the moisture closely. Maybe that is not an issue inside but it sure is outside, which is where mine are right now.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2011   #41
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

It smells moldy in the bags. is this an issue?

Ive had 15 of 24 varieties germinate so far and these were put into cups under lights.

It was still getting up to 100 degrees inside some bags so Ive turned off the heating pads. it will still be at least 65 degrees in the bags though as our house never gets below that level.
Old March 3, 2011   #42
travis
Tomatovillian™

I have never seen a professional nursery grower use all these random methods. Usually it's straight by the book, seeds into soilless seed starter mix of some sort packed into plug trays, and down the rows they go. Is there any particular reason to pre-sprout sprouts and then transfer them into a sprouting mix?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2011   #43
RayR
Tomatovillian™

If it smells moldy, you have mold growing. Take the seed out, rinse them off in a strainer, use a new towel or coffee filter and a new bag or clean the old bag out with soapy water.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2011   #44
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
If it smells moldy, you have mold growing. Take the seed out, rinse them off in a strainer, use a new towel or coffee filter and a new bag or clean the old bag out with soapy water.
I assume this means the mold is bad for the seeds?
Old March 3, 2011   #45
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qweniden View Post
I assume this means the mold is bad for the seeds?
Yes it can, I've had that happen. The white mold will grow on some of the seeds and they might not germinate. If you catch it in time, it's not a problem.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote