Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 8, 2017   #1411
imp
Tomatovillian™

Another thing I need to get done, hopefully before the next storm season, is to get the basement better prepared to spend some time there if need.

Stay safe, jillian, and hope the storm passes you by.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2017   #1412
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

we are getting rain tonight. whoo hoo! we are so dry. it is amazing to see how wet it is one place and so dry in another.
Old October 9, 2017   #1413
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I hope those tornados go away for you jillian. Sorry I missed this post earlier. Be safe out there.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2017   #1414
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

we got 1 1/2 inches of rain. first rain in 6 weeks at least and all of about a grand total of maybe 3 inches all Summer.
Old October 9, 2017   #1415
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Carolyn, it was like that here from 2007 - 2014 very dry drought years. I guess you could say there were good things about it and bad things too. We didn't have to mow very often, but people had to buy hay from out of state. The local lakes got extremely low with marinas sitting on dry land, but we got to see what the land looked like before the dams were built (Sort of). A lot of water restrictions happened. The best gardens I grew were in 2011 - 2014. Then the rains came in 2015 and the soil borne diseases happened.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2017   #1416
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

It has been really dry here for several years. hardly any Summer rain. sometimes not even much snow either. we can water but that doesn't compare to rain. we don't seem to have the soil-borne issues probably due to the extreme cold and the high humus or even the clay in our soils. I think I need to invest in some serious nematodes though. I am so tired of the insect pressure. We still have cucumber beetles on all the plants. zucchinis, beans, squash blossoms, peppers etc.. anything out there you can find them on. the aphids are terrible. I have already pulled one crop of cucumbers out and ready to pull the last one. the ahpids and cucmber beetles are destroying any chance of a harvest, cut worms.. still coming out of the soil to the tomatoes... grr. I think I need to order a couple million dollars worth of nematodes.
Old October 9, 2017   #1417
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

We had a few frosts last week but this AM, the cars are covered in ice. Seems early to me for this area. I only have a few green tomatoes left and I should probably go pick them.
Old October 9, 2017   #1418
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all, yes I am still alive. When we were taking our granddaughter back to Cleveland County around 5:30 the clouds looked very scary and tornado warnings were given for that area with confirmed tornado. Got back home and learned we were also under warning with tornadic activity less than 5 miles away. Learned today there were several tornados around but I haven't heard of any serious damage or injuries thank the Lord. After what some of you guys have unfortunately experienced I figured better safe than sorry!

Thankful for some rain as many of you have expressed!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2017   #1419
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Aphids and grasshoppers were really bad here in the drought years.

Barb's talking about frosts and ice. Today, the forecast for here is for a record high of 96+ with the heat index in the lower 100s. Tomorrow, the high temp is supposed to be in the 70s. I think I'll go ahead and wait to mow until tomorrow.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2017   #1420
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It just poured rain here for about an hour. The back patio flooded so I am hoping my garden beds have received enough rain to at least get some of the soil wet in them. They are very dry. When we were evacuating for Harvey I lined my big containers with cardboard and we loaded as many of my smaller containers inside them in the hopes they would stay in place with the storm. I am still amazed on how I still have a garden ready to use this season. We are very blessed.

Hopefully there was enough rain to wet the soil where I want to dig a trench for drainage to get the water off the patio during a rain.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old October 12, 2017   #1421
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Finally we got hit with a good soaking rain.
Started around 7:15 PM and by 9:15 PM we got over 3 inches of it.
My rye grass popping and should love this.
No more watering my peppers.

Have a nice weather !

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2017   #1422
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Supposed to be 50 degrees early this am. It's 59 degrees right now.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old October 17, 2017   #1423
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

frost last night. at least I still have greenhouses and high tunnels with produce in them. outside is probably all burned now. I am sad about that but it is time to clean it up. supposed to be nice the rest of the week. maybe I will shock my dear husband and use the skid steer and get it all cleaned up, so he doesn't have to help in the evenings, today I am making raspberry jam though. yesterday I went though all the tomatoes and pulled all the "has a spot" ones along with all the other vegetables left and made a big pot of vegetable juice. canned 12 quarts last night.
Old October 18, 2017   #1424
bower
Tomatovillian™

No sign of a hard frost here, although the weather station reported temp of zero C (32 F) and dewpoint -3 C, windchill -4 C, when I got up this morning.
I'm eager to get that final garden cleanup done for the season, but it will have to wait for other work to be done first. Yes, you can spend too much time in the garden!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017   #1425
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Colder than a bankers heart on repossession day this morning.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote