Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2016   #166
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I started a nice batch of Xtreme Compost Tea last nice added a small pinch of Earth Juice Bloom Master to the brew. Tonight i sprayed all my plants with the mixture and soil drenched the plants in pots. A couple pics to come
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #167
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Black Beauty has to be one of the darkest tomatoes ever
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160418_183317-800x450.jpg (99.7 KB, 155 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old April 18, 2016   #168
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Looks like Esterina F1 is going to beat Sun Gold F1 and the rest of the garden when it comes to ripening. The only other plant that came close was Red Robin bit it was started 2 weeks before the rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160418_183155-800x450.jpg (76.7 KB, 155 views)
Old April 18, 2016   #169
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

My sons sickly Red Robin. Its in potting soil other than my usual Aurora Roots Organic. Almost ripe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160418_184822-800x450.jpg (80.0 KB, 153 views)
Old April 18, 2016   #170
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Soliel Beans shaping up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160417_191315-800x450.jpg (94.0 KB, 155 views)
Old April 19, 2016   #171
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Great job. Thanks for sharing your experience. Love the look of the BB, do not forget to post pictures of it sliced and most definitely the taste rate.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2016   #172
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
These were Brandywine Cherry and came from last years MMMM swap. When i grew them last year they seemed to be Brandywine Cherry Pink, grew true to type, and showed no signs of chartreuse foliage. I was unable to save seed because my wife liked this variety too much and ate every last one of them. I used the same seeds from last years swap this year so its possible there was a seed mix up or a accidental cross from the seed i received. Only time will tell now.
heirloomtomatoguy,
Back in September a tomatovillian friend sent me some Brandywine Cherry Dark seeds. I now have I believe 4 BCD plants in raised beds. All are doing well. 3 plants have numerous smallish tomatoes set on them while one has somewhat larger (up to 3" diameter) tomatoes on it. All the plants look as is they are the same variety and the tomatoes have the same shape and look but as I said the plants on 1 are significantly larger. I have pictures below. The tomato is actually has more of a wine color than my picture shows. I know the fourth is not from any of my other seeds because I don't have any seeds for plants at all similar to this. Is it possible that the BDC is not completely stable and is somewhat variable. I want to keep seeds from this plant because it may represent my best success of the season. However, I would like to know more certainly what it is. I was hoping you would take a look at my pictures and give me your thoughts as to whether this is actually a BDC or what it might be.
Thanks much,
Larry

Update: The tomato has been identified as a Brandywine Cherry Dark by tomatovillian and Florida Coordinator ginger2778.
Thanks Again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3422.jpg (333.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3423.jpg (318.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3420.jpg (405.3 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Zone9b; April 19, 2016 at 09:02 PM. Reason: New Information Received Which Answered my Question
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #173
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Glad Marsha was able to nail that one down for you.
Old April 21, 2016   #174
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Just when i though Esterina F1 was blowing away the competition here comes Toronjina F1. I cant wait to taste both of these varieties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160420_172443-800x450.jpg (75.3 KB, 125 views)
Old April 22, 2016   #175
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Well i picked the first ripe Esterina F1 this evening. It probably could have stayed on the plant another day or so but the first ripe one of the season was calling my name. Flavor was slightly sweet with a nice tang. It was a bit unripe but good none the less. I got a 3 out of 4 thumbs up on the taste but in all do fairness my son wont put tomatoes past his lips so his vote doesn't exactly count so 3 out of 3 it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160421_183454-800x450.jpg (63.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 20160421_191434-800x450.jpg (47.4 KB, 113 views)
Old April 23, 2016   #176
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

mmm... looks so tasty

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #177
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Alright another one a day or two from ripening but darn it i cant wait Toronjina F1. It tasted pretty darn close to the Esterina F1 i picked yesterday only it was orange instead of yellow. I need to let them properly ripen to give it a real review.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160423_180436-800x450.jpg (56.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 20160423_181206-800x450.jpg (51.8 KB, 93 views)
Old April 23, 2016   #178
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I have heard really good things about Toronjina relative to Sun Gold.

Can you compare them for us when they have been producing for awhile?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #179
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I have heard really good things about Toronjina relative to Sun Gold.

Can you compare them for us when they have been producing for awhile?
Sure will. It was good for the first one off the plant. Im looking forward to getting its "full" flavor
Old April 27, 2016   #180
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Dfollet's micros. 2 of 3 flats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160425_211358-800x450.jpg (139.5 KB, 68 views)