Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 29, 2015   #1
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Default Jury is out

I tried the Texas tomatoe food about a week or so after I transplanted from a 3 1/2
Pot to a 10 gallon pot. The 3 1/2 pit had miracle gro and it was in good shape when I repotted all 14 sun gold tomatoes. I used the evergreen products from lowes, a soil conditioner which I believe is fine bark, organic humus, compost & manure, and last mini bark nuggets. This was all made just for these plants.

I grew broccoli and kale from this same set up except I used the blue miracle gro.

Yesterday I noticed the leaves were getting yellow like a nitrogen defiency. Whereas I planted sun golds in my garden no added fertilizer but I did add horse manure in the fall and grew Crimson clover as a cover crop so an adequate amount of nitrogen.
I added more Texas tomatoe food yesterday afternoon and no change today. Plus the growth in the garden is much bushier larger leaves and etc.

I didn't have a choice so I added some miracle grow this afternoon. I planted these on 3/7
Old March 29, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Be careful not to give your plants fertilizer burn. To much of a good thing or bad thing is still to much.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Most of the time yellowing leaves means overwatering. If that is the case, let them dry out quite a bit, them on your next watering, just water with 1Tbsp of epsom salt mixed into a gallon of water solution. They should green right up. I have seen my seedlings turn yellow after adding MG blue stuff on 2 successive years. I did shat I explained and they recovered nicely.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

g...I agree with the soil being too soggy theory. Also, when you make a change like fertilizing...it takes a few days before any noticeable change takes place. Unless of course you burn the crap out of them. That can be quick!
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #5
gregory
Tomatovillian™

As it turned out something I added to the potting mixture seems to be holding a lot of moisture. I am not sure which of the 3 ingredients is the cause.
Old April 15, 2015   #6
biodarwin
Tomatovillian™

The compost / manure
biodarwin is offline   Reply With Quote