Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 5, 2015   #1
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Suggestions for a Super-Early Det. Cherry?

Well, it's February and I can't stand it any more- have to try again to plant a determinate cherry NOW under lights and then move it to the greenhouse (April?) when it outgrows the lights. Needs to be 3-4' max, very productive and tasty but not acidic, too seedy or tough-skinned. Don't really want larger fruits, especially if there would be fewer of them. I'd consider a shorter variety (18"+) if you think they produce enough fruits to be worth it.

Have been considering Golden Nugget, Jagodka, Pearly Pink Orange and Sprite. What's worked the best in your greenhouses? Any suggestions appreciated. TIA!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Terrenzo F1:
http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tom...rod002749.html

Very sweet, good flavor, good production. The size of the plant depends on the container it's grown in. In the ground, Terrenzo grows in a bush and never gets over 3' tall.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Kath,

I would recommend Russian Cherry, Jagodka, Pipo and 42 Days.

Russian Cherry was very early for me last year and tasted the best to me. Let me know if you'd like some seeds.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Terrenzo F1:
http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tom...rod002749.html

Very sweet, good flavor, good production. The size of the plant depends on the container it's grown in. In the ground, Terrenzo grows in a bush and never gets over 3' tall.
Thanks for this suggestion, Cole-Robbie. Looks good, although the plant isn't likely to get that big in the greenhouse. Probably not available in the stores but I can check, since the seed racks are out now around here. No way I'm sending Burpee $11.55 for one packet of seed.
Old February 6, 2015   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Kath,

I would recommend Russian Cherry, Jagodka, Pipo and 42 Days.

Russian Cherry was very early for me last year and tasted the best to me. Let me know if you'd like some seeds.

Linda
Thanks, Linda- sending a PM.

kath
Old February 6, 2015   #6
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Kath I am currently growing Yamal and German Extreme Dwarf Bush to ease my Winter tomato depravity. PM if you want seeds.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #7
DonnaMarieNJ
Tomatovillian™

Kath:

FWIW, Burpee is offering free shipping on ANY order now.

Donna

I pay the mortgage, but my cats own the house!
DonnaMarieNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Kath I am currently growing Yamal and German Extreme Dwarf Bush to ease my Winter tomato depravity. PM if you want seeds.
Linda, already tried Yamal in 2013 but GEDB sounds like it's early enough to try even though the fruits are larger than cherry size. Sending a PM- thanks!

kath
Old February 6, 2015   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Send me your addy Kath and I'll get them out today
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
Kath:

FWIW, Burpee is offering free shipping on ANY order now.

Donna
Thanks for the heads up, Donna, but I think I'll skip Burpee, at least for this year. I just placed an order with Tania for Aiaparl, Ditmarsher and Pearly Pink Orange. Along with Jagodka, Russian Cherry and German Extreme Dwarf Bush, I'm more than set for my late winter/spring project. It'll be a job finding room for all these in the GH!

kath
Old February 7, 2015   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Since Gold Nugget is on your list, here is my experience with them. They will be about a week earlier than any of my other cherries in the field. They will be productive for a while, maybe 1/2 season. But then they will get those "rusty" spots (to an extreme) that yellows tend to get and shortly afterward die. Flavor-wise they are just OK, nothing to brag about.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
Since Gold Nugget is on your list, here is my experience with them. They will be about a week earlier than any of my other cherries in the field. They will be productive for a while, maybe 1/2 season. But then they will get those "rusty" spots (to an extreme) that yellows tend to get and shortly afterward die. Flavor-wise they are just OK, nothing to brag about.

Carol
Hi, Carol- thanks for sharing your experience. The name kept sounding familiar to me and I finally realized that I grew GN once quite a few years ago before I kept much in the way of records. What you describe is what I remember also, along with the fact that I think the fruits split like crazy with the least bit of rain.

I've got 6 varieties coming that will be fun to plant early and maybe help me to combat my cabin fever a bit, as well as to give us some early salad tomatoes.

Hope everything goes well for you this year!

kath