Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 25, 2006   #1
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Default Silvery Fir tree in a hanging basket

I hope this works!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Imiss-Great looking plants and greenhouse. What size is yours? Mine is a hobby greenhouse, about 8' tall, 8' wide and about 18' long. Did you grow all winter long? OP Tumbler is another good variety to use is a hanging basket like you have in the photo.
Old February 25, 2006   #3
Rena
Tomatovillian™

15 feet wide and 25 feet long. We had it done almost 7 years ago and had forgtten the exact size so I went out and measured again. It is heated by gas and I do not run it much in the winter as I would/has cost me a fortune.
You grow the most wonderful dwarf plants! Your greenhouse is so neat and tidy. Your pics on the GW got me to investigating dwarf plants. I start some Dwarf plants in October then I can keep them under control untill they can be set outside. It is so nice to get nice size tomatoes so early! Happy Gardening-Rena
Old February 25, 2006   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Rena-Nice sized greenhouse you have-mine fits right on the side of our house and is perfect for the space. My greenhouse today is 90 degrees!Its 70 outside, and as you know, the greenhouse heats up easily. Check out the dwarf photos I put on the photo section-Moscow, New Cee and Demidov.
Old February 25, 2006   #5
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

Very nice.!I had no idea you could grow silvery fir tree in a hanging basket. Shame I just got rid of all my seeds of those Is that just one plant in your hanging basket? Very interesting. I am learning so much .
SelfSufficient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #6
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Yes, there are 2. I only had 2 self-watering baskets so I just threw 4 of them in. I really like SFT not love. I just wanted an nice size early tomato. -Rena If you want some seed again email me.
Old February 28, 2006   #7
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

That sure is a pretty plant. I'm growing SFT for the first time this year. I have 7 week old plants that I just transplanted into hanging baskets. Your plant doesn't look like mine. Your leaves are pointy and bright green. Mine are gray with rounded leaves. Do they change that much as they get older? Here's a pic of mine before I transplanted them. It's not a good pic, but you can see the general gray coloration and the lobed leaf tips.

Lisa
Old February 28, 2006   #8
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Mine do not look Silvery like yours..... anyone else have a comment? Mrs. Mud what is your seed source? I would like to try yours. -Rena
Old February 28, 2006   #9
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSCOLO
Yes, Mrs. Mud what is your seed source? I would like to try yours.
My seeds came as part of a generous offer from Earl.

Lisa
Old February 28, 2006   #10
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I will email him :wink:
Old February 28, 2006   #11
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I would really like to know which one looks right. I do hope someone answers this and tells us.
You all seem to know people I have never met. This is from SSE? I think I need to become a member.
SelfSufficient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2006   #12
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Hi SS1,

Hang around for awhile and you'll get to know some folks, too. I came to Tomatoville from GW (Garden Web) and so did a lot of folks here. There are also a lot of folks here that are members of SSE. I'm not, YET!

I just happened to get lucky and moved to an area that is home to some famous tomato growers and seed savers, a.k.a. CHOPTAG.

Lisa
Old February 28, 2006   #13
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Wow. Now I want a greenhouse too. How often do you need to heat it? I live in the Sacramento, CA area. Recently, the weather has dropped to the mid-high 30's at night. Usually, in the winter, the nights are in the low 40's.

Recently, a GW member suggested that I get a cold frame. Is this a better option than a "pull apart" greenhouse? DH and I only plan on being in this house for three more years. We don't want to break the bank here by adding on to our house. Besides, my garden (RV Access not accessible by DH's dogs) is ackwardly shaped (trapezoid).

What is the difference between a built on greenhouse and solarium? My aunt had a "huge" solarium that was built at an angle. In in she had plants, seeds starting, a build in jaccuzzi and a sitting area. The area was separated from the "main" house with sliding glass doors. This room would get hotter than___ in the summer. Sacramento weather can reach 100-110F in the summer.
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #14
Rena
Tomatovillian™

If at all possible add it to the house. I think it is easier to get to and you also get some residual heat from it. I try to grow 12 trays of seedlings in the house on a plant stand and when it is full I start moving them out to the ghouse. The price of gas is so high that it has not gotten much heat this year!
Old March 12, 2006   #15
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Hope this works as I don't remember if 'preview' shows pictures or not.

Earl is offline   Reply With Quote