Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old March 3, 2018   #466
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mike, just ordered it. Done.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #467
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Thanks Mike, just ordered it. Done.
It will be like Christmas morning.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #468
taboule
Tomatovillian™

More like a B-day gift to self, one of a few others ;-) DW's came early and she missed the surprise effect, a Weber SM 18" bullet smoker. Yeah, I need another hobby. But since it's along the lines of preserving our harvest, still on topic, right?
Old March 7, 2018   #469
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You should do an Un Boxing video on YouTube.

I as many others find these videos worthless but they seem to draw a lot of hits for some reason.
Old March 10, 2018   #470
imp
Tomatovillian™

I'm using my pressure canner as a water bath canner for a bit today. Aldi's had big fat blueberries on sale for $1.49 a pint, so am now making blue berry jam - ohhh, my kitchen smells so good !!!

I cheated and used the vita mix to crush the berries, LOL. The NCHFC said their recipe made about 5 1/2 pints, more or less; I ended up with 9 1/2 pints using their amounts and a dab more. Not complaining though, but if the rest of the blueberries do the same increase, I'll end up with 27 1/2 pints of blueberry jam.

I tend to share with friends and the college boys next door, too. They are some nice boys.

I need to go sniff in my kitchen again.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #471
Hairy Moose Knuckles
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I'm using my pressure canner as a water bath canner for a bit today. Aldi's had big fat blueberries on sale for $1.49 a pint, so am now making blue berry jam - ohhh, my kitchen smells so good !!!

I cheated and used the vita mix to crush the berries, LOL. The NCHFC said their recipe made about 5 1/2 pints, more or less; I ended up with 9 1/2 pints using their amounts and a dab more. Not complaining though, but if the rest of the blueberries do the same increase, I'll end up with 27 1/2 pints of blueberry jam.

I tend to share with friends and the college boys next door, too. They are some nice boys.

I need to go sniff in my kitchen again.

Mine had that same sale! We make chia seed and blueberry jam.
Hairy Moose Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2018   #472
imp
Tomatovillian™

So far, 19 1/2 pints cooling on the counter area, looking pretty. Takes me longer to get the jars sterilized than to whiz the berries in the vita mix! Still have 6 more pints of blue berries and about 10 of strawberries to get done, but darn, I am tired now.

Never had any chia seed, how does it change the flavor?
Old March 10, 2018   #473
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You should do an Un Boxing video on YouTube.

I as many others find these videos worthless but they seem to draw a lot of hits for some reason.
Yes I'm not into that either, but a little picture once in a while doesn't hurt.

Was expecting the package yesterday, but it got delayed -probably due to the big storm we just had. Downed trees all around us. Finally the fexdex guy showed up. Box was torn in a couple places, but unit seemed OK once I opened and inspected.

I forgot to check the height clearance on my stove hood before I ordered. I think that should be OK too.
AA-930.jpg
Old March 10, 2018   #474
imp
Tomatovillian™

Nice stove and canner!! Hope you enjoy using it, I get lots of fun as well as good to eat stuff from mine.

Edit: I had to buy Vasoline for mine, I never use it otherwise!!!
Old March 10, 2018   #475
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

AWESOME!
Old March 10, 2018   #476
imp
Tomatovillian™

Just had a good nap and back is much better, so checked the jam. All sealed and all is jelled.
Old March 10, 2018   #477
Hairy Moose Knuckles
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post

Never had any chia seed, how does it change the flavor?
Not really. It changes the texture to something like raspberry jam. I use it in place of pectin and make a low sugar. We don't can it, just make small batch jelly every 2 or 3 weeks.
Hairy Moose Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #478
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Moose Knuckles View Post
Not really. It changes the texture to something like raspberry jam. I use it in place of pectin and make a low sugar. We don't can it, just make small batch jelly every 2 or 3 weeks.
Ahhh, refrigerator jam. I have the weird habit of buying too much, so keeping it longer is a must, so it's canned. It's hard to resist a good sale ( for me) when I know I can use it later at the lower price.

And I do like to share, too.

That is what I was telling myself when I bought the 4 corned beef flats, LOL!! Though I do have to say, canning corned beef makes it superb when you use it- tender and juicy!
Old March 11, 2018   #479
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Box was torn in a couple places, but unit seemed OK once I opened and inspected.
Nice canner, I really enjoy working with mine. Are you sure your kitchen range is strong enough to withstand the weight ? personnlly I prefer using a turkey ring (plenty of suggestions on T ville). Using vaseline is a good suggestion, I tried to replace it with silicon grease, it didn't work as well. You may need a screwdriver with a wide blade to gently lift the lid after use. No ring to check, it's a plus.
I hope the delivery department will understand they have to unscrew the handles before shipping, they punch holes in the box.

All the best
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018   #480
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You can stand on that stove to no ill effect.
As for the lubricant on the sealing surface I use good old fashioned hog lard or mineral oil.

One word of caution with these newer canners and something that perplexes me to no end.
They only have one way to see if the thing is under pressure that is the gauge and/or the vent.
By all means dont trust them and stick a wire or something in the vent hole if there is any question at all about pressure before you start to loosen the lugs.
The odds are in your favor that both or one wont be stopped up but I personally want to be 200% sure there is no pressure.
In a 14 inch diameter lid there are about 154 square inches of surface area.
Multiply that times 10 pounds pressure per square inch and you have 1,540 pounds of force pushing on that lid.
Even if it is cold I check I treat them like a gun, they are always loaded.

I knock mine loose with a hammer and large round dowel.