Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 26, 2009   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default Why did I bother?

Why did I bother to start my peppers early, bust my hump deep digging up a virgin peice of ground to be ready in time, plant early trying to out-wit the last frost date, cover the plants on the real last frost date, fight slugs, chipmunks and deer, and pinch blossoms on stunted plants only to wait another month for it to warm up enough for the little offspring of unmarried parents to start to grow? Next year the peppers get started after the tomatoes are finished with the grow lights, and either go into containers or get planted well into June.

Oh, and no more deep planting/cold feet either.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2009   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a plan!

I know it's hard for me to wait sometimes, I get itchy to get my fingers in dirt in January. Only, if I start peppers that soon, they're too big for their containers well before it's safe to plant them out.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2009   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I potted up my peppers twice this spring, from the sprouting flats into the 2"x 1 1/2" 4 cell packs, and then into 4 1/2" round pots when it became clear the weather was not cooperating. I have a huge supply of used 4 1/2"round pots and the carrying trays they fit into, discarded from a landscaping service. The plants did so well and were so sturdy and large when they went into the garden, that I think the remaining chilly nights did not faze them much. I believe they will have a jump on the season and plan to do the double transplant again next year. Only downside is how heavy those 12 pot trays are to shuffle around in and out of the garage at night for the last few weeks.

Also, to cut cost, I mixed Promix half'n'half with well rotted manure for the last transplant. The plants loved it. I am lucky to get a full dump truck load of old black rotted manure from a local farmer, it costs me $100 including delivery, and will last for at least 3 years for all my garden projects. It's got such good texture that I often use it alone for flower pots and baskets. I am a lazy composter and though I try, I never have anywhere near enough compost for the vegetable gardens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PepperTrays2.jpg (186.1 KB, 65 views)

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2009   #4
Bobbisox
Tomatovillian™

Default cold feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZ-OH6 View Post
Why did I bother to start my peppers early, bust my hump deep digging up a virgin peice of ground to be ready in time, plant early trying to out-wit the last frost date, cover the plants on the real last frost date, fight slugs, chipmunks and deer, and pinch blossoms on stunted plants only to wait another month for it to warm up enough for the little offspring of unmarried parents to start to grow? Next year the peppers get started after the tomatoes are finished with the grow lights, and either go into containers or get planted well into June.

Oh, and no more deep planting/cold feet either.

Maybe next year you can put some fresh manure in the soil about 3 weeks before you will be transplanting; the microbes will warm the soil and get the transplants some warmth, and I guess in your cold climate you can put walls of water or another method for the above-ground parts of plants. here the peppers overwinter outside and do great.

Bobbi, willing to give my warm March and hot April weather to you.
Old November 25, 2009   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbisox View Post
Maybe next year you can put some fresh manure in the soil about 3 weeks before you will be transplanting; the microbes will warm the soil and get the transplants some warmth, and I guess in your cold climate you can put walls of water or another method for the above-ground parts of plants. here the peppers overwinter outside and do great.

Bobbi, willing to give my warm March and hot April weather to you.
I started my peppers earlier than ever this past season; but waited until the nights were warm enough before transplanting. I had to move them into larger cups and by the time I set them out in April and May they were much larger and bushier than in the past. They also produced more and bigger peppers than ever before. I now have some plants that are six feet tall as the killing frost are nearing. I pinched my blooms on any plants that I felt were too small to support a heavy pepper early in the season and it paid off with bigger and healthier plants that produced good peppers. My biggest problem stems from trying to support such large plants with their abundance of peppers. I will probably start some even earlier this year just to see how soon I can get my first bells. I have never overwintered any peppers because the plants in the garden are so large at the time it would be best to dig them up and bring them in that it would be impractical and I don't have the space. I may try cutting one back severely and see if it will survive the move indoors.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2009   #6
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Very nice plants Dee - Love those NuMex!

I started mine in early July here, and by the time they hit the soil in early Nov they were really strong and ready from gradual hardening up over weeks...

b4 - I read in another forum, of a grower who massacred - only word for it! - his pepper plant in preparation for winter, cutting it to around 12 " of stem and about five 3" branches.

He overwintered this ugly duckling and the following grow season it shot up to a huge bush with a thick stem.

Might be worth investigating...
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2009   #7
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I'm over wintering some of my plants like that. I pulled them up, trimmed back the roots and branches and potted them into 6 inch pots. Nearly all of them resprouted, but I let some dry out too much so lost a few more.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25, 2009   #8
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Wow, that's a pretty mater!
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2009   #9
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Ha! What it is, is an Ernesto with a natural "nose", but the "eyes" are a couple of Serrano peppers. (so I guess that qualifies it for discussion in the pepper thread!)

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2009   #10
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Raised beds or containers are the only way I can reliably grow peppers and eggplant...Raised beds are worth the effort for peppers as, they really thrive in loose, unpacked soil...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote