Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 7, 2011   #1
BR
Tomatovillian™

Default Ramapo seeds on ebay

Has anyone seen the Ramapo seeds on ebay? It says they are the F1's. I thought they were only available through Rutgers.
BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2011   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Could you provide a link please? I don't need any seeds of R F1 myself, but I was thinking at least for discussion purposes.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2011   #3
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Here is the link to the Ebay Ramapo F1 seeds

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Ramapo-To...item3a6cefbb6e
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2011   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I was hoping I would recognize the seller, but I don't.

If these are actually F1 seeds, - then the obvious question for me at least is where did this person get them from so that they can offer them for $2.25 + shipping and actually make a profit?

I am aware that at some point there were some F1 seeds available, but honestly don't recall the terms. Wasn't it a Rutgers U offer or something like that?
Old December 7, 2011   #5
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Rutgers sold them in bulk quantities. I was able to purchase Moreton Hybrid in bulk from them, too.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2011   #6
travis
Tomatovillian™

I know this is a bit off-topic, but if you go to this link http://paveggies.org/m%20research%20...20tomatoes.pdf , and then scroll down to the top of page 6, you will find these remarks:
"Ramapo: This Jersey tomato has good texture. It’s sweet and juicy, slices well and a favorite of the panel.
Morton: Almost exactly same comments as Ramapo, but the panel found Morton to be a little more robust."

"Morton" is a typo. They really mean Moreton (which is verified by the listing of tomatoes tested), another recently resurrected hybrid similar to Ramapo.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2011   #7
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Taken directly from the website - http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu

1. Ramapo tomato bulk seed can be purchased from:
Joe Musumeci
Eastern Seed Services, LLC
1136 Route 45
Pilesgrove, NJ 08098
Phone: 856-769-7911
Fax: 856-769-7913
Joe4seeds@yahoo.com

Whether or not anyone is interested, I don't know.. but there you go.
Old December 8, 2011   #8
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon View Post
Taken directly from the website - http://njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu

1. Ramapo tomato bulk seed can be purchased from:
Joe Musumeci
Eastern Seed Services, LLC
1136 Route 45
Pilesgrove, NJ 08098
Phone: 856-769-7911
Fax: 856-769-7913
Joe4seeds@yahoo.com

Whether or not anyone is interested, I don't know.. but there you go.
Thanks. I don't want to trash the ebay reseller without understanding all the facts - and there is nothing wrong at all per se with reselling F1 seeds for that matter. I mean, if one can source F1 seeds for X, there are not restrictions on reselling it, and they can manage to find buyers who are interested, well - not really my concern.

Personally, I would be inclined to use a more direct source for it as you linked to above, though. Just me, but I am inclined to buy locally (even if it is not my "locally") and cut out middlemen or resellers whenever possible.
Old December 8, 2011   #9
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Personally, I can't fault the seller for reselling the seed on eBay - I don't know how much is considered a 'bulk' order from Eastern Seed Services, but assuming it's somewhere around 500 or 1000 seed.. If I wanted to get some Ramapo, I know I don't need even 500 seed of it, and since I'm sure there are many others like me out there, it would make sense to recoup some of my costs by selling smaller amounts.. and I handle my seeds with care. I would consider it reasonable that that seller does the same.
Old December 8, 2011   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Back in 2008 I received two e-mails from Joe, who was referenced above, and I've opted to cut and paste some info from one of them that I think will help with some background information:

(I just read your post on Garden Web and figured I'd clear up a couple of points for you. My name is Joe Musumeci and I own and operate Eastern Seed Services, LLC. Last year I was approached by several individuals at Rutgers who are trying to bring back flavor to the Jersey Tomato. They asked if I would be willing to handle sales to commercial growers for Ramapo Hybrid and also asked for suggestions of other varieties with comparable flavor that would be earlier or later maturing than Ramapo. I contacted Mark Willis and Dick Chamberlain at Harris Seeds, and they were gracious enough to share some 20+ year old Moreton Hybrid seeds and also seeds of both parents for Moreton. They agreed to allow me to contract for seed production. In return, Harris seeds gets seed at low cost. I am also supplying Rutgers with Moreton for their program and am offering Moreton Hybrid seed for sale to NJ commercial growers. The Moreton seeds were not produced by the Isreali company that prod!
uced the Ramapo seeds. I opted to have them produced in greenhouses in Costa Rica. )

So Joe was the one who directed the production of both Ramapo F1 as well as Moreton Hybrid and is the one who is in charge of sales for bulk amounts to supposedly **NJ** commercial growers as mentioned above.

He also said at one point that he didn't like seeing his name at message sites, just a general comment, b'c at the time I didn't even know who he was and so could not mention it, but as long as his contact info was given above I thought it was OK to say a bit more about him and what his part was in bringing back both of those varieties, which I for one, like very much.

I don't know what the prices are but I know my brother, now in NC, bought both from Rutgers and they weren't cheap, and while I haven't received my Harris catalog this year I'm pretty sure that Harris has been selling Moreton Hybrid, as noted above. Actually I think I remember them being sold out of Moreton in a few of the past years.

The reason that Joe had contacted me is that in my GW post I had said seeds for one or the other of those two varieties was produced one place when in fact they were produced elsewhere. He has a long standing career in the tomato industry and outlined that but I'm not going to cut and paste anything else from his two e-mails to me except to say that he too as a kid had to knock off Colorado Potato Beetles from tomato plants into a can of kerosene as did I as a kid. Dad paid me a penny a beetle.
Old December 8, 2011   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have my new Harris catalog and they are listing Moreton, but not Ramapo.

Moreton $3.15 / pack, $12.35 for 500, $21.10 / M.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2011   #12
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
The Moreton seeds were not produced by the Isreali company that produced the Ramapo seeds. I opted to have them produced in greenhouses in Costa Rica.
It's a shame he couldn't find anybody in the USA to produce these seeds
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2011   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
I can't speak to that b'c I have no idea what constraints Rutgers placed on him in terms of cost as well as timing of seed production.
Old December 8, 2011   #14
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
What do you think the cost per seed would be if Moreton were produced in the U.S., or even in the EuroZone? Certainly would not be able to get them for under 3c each!
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2011   #15
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
What do you think the cost per seed would be if Moreton were produced in the U.S., or even in the EuroZone? Certainly would not be able to get them for under 3c each!
We are the number one producer of grain in the world. I think we could handle the production of tomato seed at a reasonable cost. Just another job plucked away from a small American farmer. There are plenty of farms in CA that could of done the job. Cheaper isn't always better.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote