Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old December 19, 2011   #1
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Default Tatuma (Calabacita) Squash

Trying to grow summer squash is an effort in futility for me due to the squash vine borer. I stumbled upon Tatuma squash from Botanical Interests which claims "practical immunity" to SVB.

Any experience with these as far as SVB goes? I've read they are resistant and are similar to zucchini but quite vigorous growers. Opinions on taste?

Chris

Edit: looks like this one: http://www.victoryseeds.com/squash_tatume.html

Last edited by ChrisK; December 19, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2011   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What do they look like
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2011   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Nevr mind I looked and if you are talking about the light colored striped squash like ibbuy at the store I love them. I have never grown them though. Great raw or cooked one of the best.
Old December 19, 2011   #4
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew Tatume squash this summer. No bug problems.

I haven't had problems with SVB but did get tons of squash bugs the year I grew Eight Ball and Ronde de Nice (and planted too early), so I'd been looking for a roundish summer squash I could grow.

I got only a few because I crowded my squash plantings too much, and the Shark Melon elbowed everybody else aside, but the few Tatumes I had were pretty good. I ate the last one in the garden a couple weeks ago as I was taking out the vines that froze the first week of December. That last 2-inch squash escaped freezing because it was sheltered by all the remaining squash foliage.

I used seeds from Sandhill Preservation, which were slow to germinate (no bottom heat). I also used seeds from a local seed bank that iirc were from Seeds of Change or Seed Savers. I planted them all in the same area, so I'm not sure which ones I ate, probably both. Sandhill says 65 days; BI says 50 days.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2011   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Are they heat and drought resistant? I get squash bugs but not SVBs but heat/drought are my biggest problem after June.
I did have pretty good results using DE and diligent searching for adult squash bugs last year. Apparently, DE does kill the juveniles because I saw few adults and the one time I saw some juvies I dusted immediately with DE and never saw another bug.
Same with the cuke bugs.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2011   #6
Neohippie
Tomatovillian™

I have some seeds for Tatume that I haven't grown yet. Maybe next year.

All I know is that they're a Mexican variety. You can get them at the stores here in TX under the name "calabacitas", which I think is the Spanish term for summer squash.

They're kind of shorter and fatter than a zucchini and a very light green.

I'm really hoping that being Mexican they're heat and drought AND SVB tolerant. I have terrible problems with all three of those things. Wiped out my squash crop in 2011, and in 2010 the only squash I had to harvest were cushaws.
Neohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2011   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The ita on the end makes it mean little squash.
I have bought them as calabaza which means squash.

Worth/Vale la pena
Old December 28, 2011   #8
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I've heard Zuccheta Rampicante is very resistant to SVB. It is a moschata type (solid stems). It can be used as a summer or winter squash.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote