Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old August 26, 2018   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Shish!to & Cubanelle peppers so sweet!

Haven't been here for a while my grow bag garden has kept me busy I've been picking pole beans and lots of tomatoes. But today was a day of picking my ripe Shish!to & Cubanelle peppers the plants have produced so many peppers I'll need to freeze them when I pick the rest. They are so sweet, glad I tried these 2 varieties for the 1st time this year, I must have on my 3 Shish!to plants well over 20 peppers ripening on each plant. Here's a pic of the ones we didn't eat in the garden.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sweet Shi★★★★o & Cubanella 003.jpg (426.7 KB, 80 views)
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

That is a beautiful color! You are brave too take a bite of the ""shushhy o"" outside with no bread or milk to turn of the heat.. Were there a few surprise hotties in the batch? I read it is one in ten but would like to hear other experiences. Have one in a pot planted late so not red yet.

How was the cubanelle production?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

There is one thing about cooking peppers like Shish!to, Cubanelle, and Banana peppers (Examples) - slice them however you want and quickly pan fry them. They take on a completely different taste that is much stronger without heat. Drying them and turning them into chili powder releases a different flavor.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018   #4
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Greenthumbomaha, Yes the wife got a "warm" one as we were picking them that she gave to me and it was hot but not anything like Jalapeno hot. AlittleSalt I've never tried drying peppers hows it done and whats the best way to turn them into powder?
Old August 27, 2018   #5
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Jetstar, there are many ways to dry peppers. A lot has to do with how much humidity there is in your location. The way I dry peppers has always worked for us.

I use a toaster oven set at 140F. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise or into strips if you want it done faster. Remove the seeds or leave them (Your choice) sometimes, leaving the seeds makes the powder hotter in taste. Put them on a flat tray - like a metal cookie sheet and cook them until they are crispy dried out. Let them cool off and grind them up with a coffee grinder. Store the chili powder in an air tight jar just like you would for any other spice.

Cooking time varies on how thick the skin is.
Store bought peppers work just as well.
You could use the oven on your stove instead of a toaster oven.
A food processor would probably work, but coffee grinders do a wonderful quick job.
This a wonderful thing to do on a cool day because it keeps the kitchen a little warmer.
The scent of them drying smells very good to us
Old August 27, 2018   #6
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

AlittleSalt, thanks for the info on drying and using the peppers as a spice to add to dishes, now I have a real option other than freezing excesses fall peppers.
Old August 27, 2018   #7
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

From what I have read, a little goes a long way.... many people here have a stash of hot pepper powder that will keep them supplied for several years. Paprika is an exception and it is so good fresh. It is also suggested to have a dedicated grinder to avoid the taste of pepper coffee, etc.

I'm on the same page with your dw. I would not like to chomp down on something hot by itself. At least it wasn't wasted.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Your Welcome Jetstar.

Lol Lisa, I left out the part where I bought the coffee grinder only for grinding peppers. Could you imagine a fresh cup of coffee with a little tabasco chili powder in it? That gives a Hot cup of coffee a different meaning
Old August 27, 2018   #9
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Good to know.