Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old March 5, 2018   #1
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Default Instant Pot -- Marinara Sauce

Recent marinara sauce recipe by Ivy Manning, posted on Instant Pot's site. I have not tried it yet. But you know I will, because I bought this Instant Pot thing during Cyber Week and I am still trying to find ways to justify this purchase. I have some frozen tomatoes thawing out in my test kitchen. fwiw, I never peel tomatoes. I make the sauce then run it through the blender. Or, you could use an immersion blender, too.
https://recipes.instantpot.com/recip...made-marinara/

Ivy Manning's Instant Pot Italian cookbook was recently released and it's supposed to be pretty good. Barbara Schieving of pressurecookingtoday.com also has a great new cookbook of recipes that actually work. No affiliation with either person or their business ventures.

Last edited by MadCow333; March 5, 2018 at 01:38 PM.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #2
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

If by chance your instant pot is a Gem65 8 in 1 model that were sold exclusively by Walmart, they are being recalled.

That said, the instant pots look pretty nice.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

MadCow,

I am just behind you in the Learning process. My Mealthy MultiPot arrived today:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...so I am searching recipes for the basics (brocoli, carrots, rice, etc.) to experiment with, then on to the more complex Braised Short Ribs, Pot Roast, "fried" chicken next week.

Keep us posted on your tips and techniques.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #4
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I peeled tomatoes the first time I made sauce but never again! I just quarter the tomatoes, squeeze out the insides and then blend on high the skins and the rest of the tomato before sticking it in the slow cooker. It works great!

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

A sale on Instant Pots? What did I miss? I bought the 3 qt one and am looking for a 6 qt...... I think my 3 quart one is great, but a bigger one would be nice

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I saw this as Instant Pot Marijuana Source.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth

Good one Worth

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2018   #8
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

The two things I've made in the Instant Pot that I never or rarely cook on the stove are risotto and tapioca. Fast and easy, and they turn out great!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #9
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth
Well, that can be *your* project for the week. Lol
Old March 5, 2018   #10
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I was gifted this one a few months back https://www.amazon.com/Power-Pressur.../dp/B00MZZXO4W

I must say this takes pressure cooking to a whole new level. I love this thing. Set it then forget it ! It makes perfect rice too. I haven't tried the slow cooker setting yet but isn't it wonderful to have three pots in one?
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2018   #11
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Okay, despite my work schedule, and having just enough tomatoes for 1/2 recipe, I did cook sauce 40 minutes in there, then stuck it in the fridge. . I'll work on it some more today. Seems like the technique works, though.

There are several decent brands of pressure cooker. Instant Pot has great customer service and spare parts availability. There is a new $200 IP to be released this summer that runs at 15 psi for canning, but the original release is 6 qt.size.

GoWise, Crock Pot, Power Pressure cooker XL, Fagor, and enen the Ambiano that Aldi sells once a year seem pretty well liked. Check your local Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, Goodwill, and liquidator stores for deals. Lots of people bought of received pressure cookers for Christmas and decided it's not their thing. Target and Walmart dump their used returns a liquidators and Goodwill. I paid $30 for my 3qt Lux at a liquidator. I used it for my marinara sauce test.

The Instant Pot Gem isn't a pressure cooker. It's a roaster / slow cooker. That's the recalled one, but I don't own one.

Eta: The 6qt Magic Chef that Home Depot sells is also good. Watch for it to go on sale. $49 was the sale price when I bought mine. It was $60 for a couple of weeks, recently. It has low pressure on steam and fish presets, and you must use present times instead of set whatever time you want. Otherwise, it's just like the Instant Pot Duo60. It can use IP's gaskets, and people say the inner pot, too. It comes with a stainless inner pot.

I got my Magic Chef July 4 weekend for $49. Then got an Instant Pot Duo Plus 6 qt for $74 during Cyber week. The actual Instant Pot is not much upgrade, and the Magic Chef was really a steal at $49. Instant Pot lowest sale prices have been Amazon Prime Day, and the stretch from Black Friday through Cyber Week. Cyber week featured a different IP model for just a day or 2, then its price went back up. Kohl's sales using Kohl's charge and Kohl's cash and stacked coupons are the best way to get a new one at other times of the year.

Last edited by MadCow333; March 12, 2018 at 09:32 AM.