Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2015   #31
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I lurked on Tomatoville for about a year before I joined. I don't know why it took me so long, social media is not really my thing(unless it is about gardening!). I read many posts by members that are no longer with us and I have learned very much from them. I always read posts from Dr. Carolyn Male and Craig LeHoullier-you two are inspirational to me. My father taught me about tomatoes and he has passed away, so I learn here and pass it on to my daughter. I found Tomatoville by accident-via google search- and I never dreamed something like this existed. Lets all keep it going strong!!! Just my dos centavos!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #32
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
What a coincidence that I was thinking about the older members I miss too! It always saddened me to hear if someone passed on, but to NOT hear anything, just silence, worries me more. Especially when a member used to actively post, then nothing.
Which makes me wonder: do any of you have a plan in place, to let others here know when you will no longer be posting, either thru an illness or death? I was thinking of having a family member know my user name/password so that you would know if anything happened to me. Just a narcissist way of thinking that some of you cared.
I would be extremely grateful if you folks did this.

Many times over the years, I have sent out emails to members that have just stopped posting, only to hear nothing back.
Honestly, I'd rather get a reply such as "I hate you" or "I hate your site" than to assume that the worst has happened.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #33
salix
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Peebee - I have left instructions (and password) to let T'Ville know that I did not quit posting in a fit of pique or whatever. I have worried very much over several 'missing' posters: Jeannine Anne, Suze, Charley (GotWorms?) etc. Very glad to hear Suze is still around, and I will let you know that dcarch is quite active on the cooking forum at GardenWeb, still sharing amazing food photos.
Old May 15, 2015   #34
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Frankly, it's a really good idea for everyone to have left written instructions for after their death or incapacitation. What you would like done with your body (if you want to be cremated, what do you want done with the ashes??) and whom you would like to be contacted. It would be good to have a list of all friends and family members with addresses, phone and emails. This could just be your address book - as long as you keep it updated and family knows where to find it. You could include any websites that you frequent (or maybe just the emails of the administrator) so that the community could be notified.

We just went through this in my family and it really got us thinking. My sister and I have no children and we want to make it easy on the other when it comes to be that time. Preplanning what you would like is a great way to do that. Having to do detective work and rack your brain to remember all the person's friends is stressful, at a time when more stress isn't needed.

Last edited by wormgirl; May 15, 2015 at 12:21 PM.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Anyone know what happened to Grub from Australia?
The last time he was here was in 2010.
http://www.tomatoville.com/member.php?u=20

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #36
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Another one who disappeared is Earl.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoguy View Post
Another one who disappeared is Earl.

Earl last logged on in march of last year.
His last post was in 2011 or 10.

Worth
Old May 15, 2015   #38
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Earl last logged on in march of last year.
His last post was in 2011 or 10.

Worth
His last post here was August of 2011 and his last visit here was March 17,2014 as you said.

I also did some Googling and came up with the following:

http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Earl+...106#:451692137

And yes, Earl is from Franklin, OH

http://ww.sngpg.com/msgboard/ViewThr...?b=33&p=483038

When Googling I could find no obituary.

Worth, when I remember I can ask Patrina about Grub( David Lockwood), I don't know if she knows anything but it's WORTH a try.

Carolyn
Old May 15, 2015   #39
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Oh, no. Thanks Carolyn for that info, though it does make me sad.
Old May 15, 2015   #40
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

A bit of wisdom I acquired years ago:

All bring joy to this forum....

some by coming...

Others by going.

I do miss some of the regulars from years ago.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015   #41
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

How about a slightly different POV from someone who doesn't find themselves here very often lately - me!

I think people may also come and go because of change - in life's circumstances, hobbies, time availability and constraints. Personally, it's about time and energy - and the changes that the book provides (at the moment, anyway). My time on the computer - which is less than it used to be (especially in gardening season), is more about working to reach a larger audience - I am blogging much more than I used to, but also the elements of social networking - Facebook, Twitter, Instragram - and the travel and activities that put me in front of people - there are just so many hours in a day, and so much energy.

So I suspect my really active participation here gets to be more seasonal, and will depend upon what's next. The Straw Bale book that comes out in December is a pretty small thing - certainly won't lead to the type of year that the tomato book has initiated. I am pondering what book 3 will be....and I am also playing with the idea - kind of seriously, really.....of a weekly - or biweekly - podcast. Now that sounds like a fun thing to do...and I may just do it! Tomatoville is in good hands - questions get answered well and quickly, and members are learning new things, from each other.
Old May 16, 2015   #42
Zana
Tomatovillian™

As someone who used to visit or post a lot more than I do now, there are quite a few reasons. Some of it was due to some of the changes that have gone in my life in the past 5 years, some of it was lack of time, and some of it was because, frankly I got seriously ticked off and almost left completely. Still not happy about what went on back then and it has coloured my feelings about spending as much time here as I used to do....so I don't see myself returning to the many threads I created or built up.

I, too, miss so many of the old regulars that have passed on, or have moved on from Tomatoville. It isn't quite the same small community as it once was. Not that there is anything wrong with how it has grown....far from it. It has just changed.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #43
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I too have gleaned a large amount of information from posters that have since gone dark.
I have also wondered where those members went.

I'm just happy to be here and to be part of this community of growers.
It makes me happy just to be here each day and to see what all of you are doing and how your plants are coming along.
Old May 16, 2015   #44
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

I agree Julia. Although I'm sure the community has changed over time, and I may have missed what some consider the halcyon days (salad days?) of TV, I am just happy to be able to come here and talk tomato. I am happy to be a part of this community.

I have been wondering - how is this site supported? Can I make donations or buy something that supports the site?
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not one thing has changed in all of the years I have been here just the people.
There are personality types that fit certain categories that are well studied and documented.

With a constant flow of people coming and going you will on average have the same people here but with just another name.

You may miss or dislike someone but someone else will come along and be much like that person if the fore mentioned person leaves.
If I leave someone will come along and take my place.

Worth