Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 4, 2010   #1
matermaniac
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing Carrots

I had ordered some Dragon Carrot seed from Trade Wind Fruits because I realy like the way they look. Purple on the outside, orange on the inside...I mean, how cool is that? But what to grow them in? Yesterday, I aquired, with much thanks to the shipping/receiving guy at an unnamed store, a crate that measures 38"x"72"14". This gives me right at 22 cubic feet of space and I believe it should be deep enough for carrots. I plan to raise it up off the ground with some bricks and line it with weed control fabric.

But what should I fill this vast chasm with that would be good for carrots and easy on the wallet?

Any help would be appreciated.
matermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2010   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've grown carrots in raised planters and filled them with "Mel's Mix", which is 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite (coarse grade), and 1/3 peat. We make our own compost; the in-laws live near a peat bog & the owner sells it cheaply; we just had to buy the vermiculite. I've read that folks make their own mixes, even using part garden soil and other things that they can get inexpensively, but I only have experience with the original. The carrots LOVE it! They grow quickly, straight and aren't as bothered by bugs. You do have to keep a watch for drying of the soil as you do whenever you grow in containers or raised beds. I don't fertilize during the season, but check the pH and add lime or wood ashes as needed and replenish the compost after each crop comes out or before the next goes in- one hand trowel full/sq. ft.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2010   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

If you can get some fresh mushroom compost use as much as you can. It is fairly basic and doesn't need any lime but does need some regular soil to help it hold water as well as some alfalfa meal or pellets and some water crystals to keep the moisture level steady.
If you can't get fresh mushroom compost, I would use fresh compost, horse or cow manure (composted if possible), lime or basic slag, sand and soil, perlite, alfalfa pellets, and water crystals. Once the carrots get a couple of inches tall it would be good to mulch with something fine like grass clippings to stop the top of the soil from drying too fast. Fertilize with a soluble fertilizer every 2 weeks or so and pick them before the temps get too hot. My last crop of carrots were planted in late January and may be too late for down here; but the ones planted in October and November are now producing some really sweet carrots, despite the heavy rains.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2010   #4
matermaniac
Tomatovillian™

I live just a few miles from a mushroom growing place and have known the person that handles the drying and packing personally for a very long time. I will have to ask about getting some of the leftovers from the growing cycle. I'm fairly certain they just throw the stuff away.

EDIT: I've been doing some reading on Msuhroom compost and it seems that most places would sterilze the growing medium after it's been used for the growing cycle. I don't think this operation does that. If they don't, would there be any harm to my garden if it were added?

Last edited by matermaniac; March 4, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
matermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2010   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

No. The compost I was able to get for the last few years was from the final grow cycle and they just sold it off in bulk without sterilizing it. That place is now out of business and I can't get that cheap source of fresh mushroom compost anymore. Many people are paying extra to get the fungus spores that are already in the compost because they encourage good root development in tomatoes and some other veggies.
The only downside to mushroom compost is it's fairly high ph. If your soil is somewhat acidic the stuff does wonders for balancing out the ph.
I used as much as I could put into my raised beds and the result for the last few years has been the best production of all manner of veggies that I have had in over 30 years of gardening. If you can get it cheap or better yet free, I would get as much as you can haul off and use. Helps the lawn too.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote