Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 22, 2022   #1
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Default My poor pepper plants

We've had the wettest spring in 80 yrs here in the Pacific NW. By June 6th, we had more than the average rainfall for the whole month. The jet stream shifted and now we are dry and getting hot. Going from wet 60 to dry almost 100 by Sunday. My 16 pepper plants were put in the garden about a month ago and are barely hanging on...dropping leaves and turning colors. Now, nice and warm but getting hot by the weekend. Hope they survive.
Old June 23, 2022   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Have you been fertilizing? All that rain has been washing the nutrients away maybe
The heat will help but I’d give them a good boost of fertilizer
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2022   #3
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello KarenO and Coronabarb

This is just not a good year for Peppers as I stated many Months ago. All my different Peppers plants are doing good and Green but slow growth. Normally I would start them in my greenhouse around march, but I started most of them in January. It seems if they re telling me that I am not going to Jump-start their producing season ahead of time. I did take my very Hot Hot Peppers back in the Greenhouse to grow peppers to protect my other fruits and vegetables. other plants
They are back out-side just Green and looking at me. No Peppers.

Just keep your Peppers Plants health as possible Coronabarb. Are you growing Heirloom Peppers like me?
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2022   #4
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I have one pepper in a pot and it too is doing poorly compared to a potted tomato and a potted eggplant. Not a great year for an early start. Maybe we'll have an extension of summer-like weather at the end of the season.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2022   #5
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I have been doing research on Climate Changes because of my Peppers like Native American taught my people when things turn strange that "you must protect your Crop from negative affects. One my 3 farms ; there are hardly any mosquito, flies or Bees for the first time. For most people that is a good thing, but not for Farmers and gardeners like you'll.

I also learned here at Tomatoville that the Heirloom Tomatoes I grew in my Greenhouse last winter were healthy but only produced small tomato for my family because there were no presences of Bees or Flie, needing insect to pollinate properly on my Health Tomato Plants.

So I feel that many people across Americans spent more time in their backyards and growing their Own foods, to the point of Using many Outdoor Mosquito Killer Lamp and other Types of Systems that also killed the Bees population. So, My Largest Farm is surrounded by 7 Homes. So looking down from the Sky; My Farm look like an "L for Love from Heaven" as the Late Sheppard Mallory was able to farm everyday and look at Fort Monroe where he received his Freedom drinking coffee with my Grandfather everyday, Amen!! over 160 years ago. So these Bug Zappers are not harmful to the environment because they do not used chemicals. "That's a good things" Amen!!!! People are spending more time enjoying God Green Earth Outside and growing their own food "that is a Good thing.
But I need to learn to pollinate successfully like the "late Dr, Carolyn " and others who use to come here all the time. I do have many Pepper Plants with Flowers to test with.

I am reading the old forums to learn more here by Dr. Carolyn and others. .
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2022   #6
coronabarb

GrowingCoastal, and now we are chilly again. Wheeee!! I too am hoping for a nice, moderate summer with some extra frost free days at the end.

On a good note, my plants are fine but I think KarenO's suggestion to fertilize is a good one. I will do that today. Hoping it kick starts them into a better growing phase.
Old June 29, 2022   #7
coronabarb

Mrs Justice, bug zappers don't really work well on mosquitos. They are drawn more to human skin and carbon dioxide than light. I try to make sure standing water is eliminated. We have plenty of bees here, including the delightful bumbles of all sizes. I watched a swarm of honeybees pass by in the yard a few days ago. And I have plenty of wild blackberry and rosemary blossoms to keep them happy.