Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 20, 2007   #1
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

Default Paesanello pepper

My friend brought me these pepper seeds back from Italy. The brand is Four and the picture looks like crinkly jalepenos but growing pointy end up and some are red.

Paesanello is the type then it says peperone which I know means pepper. My question, is this one hot or sweet?

Thanks! -Kim
Old March 20, 2007   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

A search revealed a discusson on the site Virtual Pepper...My Italian is pretty poor, but I would doubt it is a sweet pepper...It looks beautiful though.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2007   #3
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

Here is a website with a picture and description in Italian. I couldn't find any links on the Virtual Pepper site using their search engine - did you use google?
http://www.foursementi.it/scheda.asp...o=01&specie=28
bluekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2007   #4
bluekat
Tomatovillian™

Jeanne - I found it using the Italian search. This line makes me think it is a sweet pepper "non lo conosco ma ieri ho comprato dei peperoni dolci al discount" Peperoni dolci is the sweet pepper. Guess I will have to grow it and see!
bluekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2007   #5
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Bluekat...Read ( or attempt to decipher) a few more replies and the word " picante" is used...I assumed the posters were discussing whether it was hot or not too ! Let us know how they turn out...I always like the surpise element in growing different varieties..

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2023   #6
RealmanPwns
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: Paesanello Pepper

It's called
Altino Sweet Pepper
RealmanPwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2023   #7
VirginiaClay
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmanPwns View Post
It's called
Altino Sweet Pepper
Good find! Here's some info from a study of antioxidants in sweet and hot peppers:
This morphological typology is typical of Abruzzo region, locally called “Paesanello di Altino” or “A cocce capammonte”. This product is included in the traditional list of local products. The sweet pepper from Altino is peculiar to the area between the Sangro and Aventino rivers, around Altino, Roccascalegna, Bomba, Casoli, Archi, Atessa and Sant’Eusanio del Sangro in the province of Chieti. The book “Origin and history of plants cultivated in Abruzzo” by Aurelio Manzi compares an historical citation dated 1752, referring to a deed of sale in which the plant is cited as “peparol”.
And info from the Slow Food Foundation here: https://www.fondazioneslowfood.com/e...-sweet-pepper/

I guess this info probably wasn't online back in 2007.
VirginiaClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2023   #8
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

very nice looking peppers
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote